Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Canadian Flavour
Facebook

Notices

Canadian Flavour FROM C2C ~The Canadian Corner~

Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
NOT even ONE of them? Fudge I believe says the opposite however it has been awhile wince I read it and EF said one of them was a strong holiness preacher at one time?
I still am!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Always - but I am having difficulty thinking of Atlantic District elders who stayed in the ark who didn't preach it.
How about ESM?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
Here is a quote, from an unnamed brother, that expresses the same concept:

When I read or hear something like this, it sounds like "These are not salvation issues unless you fail to comply, and then they are."

Or, "You won't go to Hell for cutting your hair, but if you cut your hair you will go to hell for cutting your hair, but it won't be for cutting your hair, but because you disobeyed and cut your hair."
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I can appreciate what you are saying, but fail to see its application to the issue of "standards."

For example: It is preached that a lady wearing pants is an abomination to God. Then the disclaimer is added that it is not wearing pants, but rebellion that will cause the pant wearing lady to go to hell. The conclusion is that ladies may wear pants, be an abomination to God, and yet go to Heaven if they sincerely disagree.

If a lady wearing pants is an abomination to God, she is an abomination in spite of her opinion, attitude, or circumstances.

In my opinion, it is a contortion of logic to preach that wearing pants is an abomination to God, and then to convolute that position by suggesting that it's not a Heaven or hell issue. If it's an abomination to God, it's a Heaven or hell issue.
Good point ML, and one I totally agree with.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Blessed View Post
How about ESM?
I was thinking of the generation before ESM. ESM would be the exception that proves the rule. ESM is just barely retirement age now.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I can appreciate what you are saying, but fail to see its application to the issue of "standards."

For example: It is preached that a lady wearing pants is an abomination to God. Then the disclaimer is added that it is not wearing pants, but rebellion that will cause the pant wearing lady to go to hell. The conclusion is that ladies may wear pants, be an abomination to God, and yet go to Heaven if they sincerely disagree.

If a lady wearing pants is an abomination to God, she is an abomination in spite of her opinion, attitude, or circumstances.

In my opinion, it is a contortion of logic to preach that wearing pants is an abomination to God, and then to convolute that position by suggesting that it's not a Heaven or hell issue. If it's an abomination to God, it's a Heaven or hell issue.
Good point ML, and one I totally agree with.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Well this has been an interesting thread indeed. Thad called me prior to begining this thread to see if I could confirm, deny or illuminate what was happening. Unfortunately I could not. BC is not exactly the epicentre of oneness pentecostalism in Canada and I am not really conected to what is going on in and around the churches in this area much anymore. What I did tell Thad, and perhaps some of you easterners could add to or correct what I'm saying, was that there was an administrative change that took place somewhere in the middle 90's that created the UPC of Canada and made it somehow distinct from the UPCI. Now I stand to be corrected on this but I was told it was primarily just a housekeeping matter to legalize all the funds that were flowing to the UPCI from Canadian churches. That it would in no way changed the relationship that local churches or ministers had with the various ministries and governance of the UPCI.

I guess my question would be what do the people who are driving this idea see being accomplished by it? My perspective, being primarily western, would see it as being a way of keeping funds at home and being utilized for local and national projects that are otherwise ignored by those in Mecca. It was always my feeling that an inordinant amount of money went out but precious little ever came back. FMD not withstanding because those funds are not intended to come back to fund local ministries but things like CFC, SFC, SOC etc were always presented as national ministries to the local church but they never seemed to find their way to our local church or any church that I knew of.

I wonder if there is anyone of our fine Canadian UPC friends who post here who might know how much is raised by these ministries vs. what returns back to the district and local church.

I think it would be a very interesting look. Again my perspective is skewed because I have been in never neverland out here on the coast and the things that take place out east were very rarely given any prominance out here. Also, having been away from the UPC for over 7 years now means that things may have changed out here and maybe they lavishing money on the local assemblies promoting evangelism.

The UPC of Canada celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. It was set up due to a problem that arose with sending funds to the US that came to light with an audit that took place in Nova Scotia. In order to send funds into the US it was necessary to set up a joint venture agreement between the newly formed UPCC and the UPCI. This satisfied Revenue Canada's concerns about charities sending money out of the country.
It was never intended by its framers to be a separate ministerial or church organization, the intention was a financial framework to facilitate missions etc.
The movement to transform UPCC into a sister organization seems to me to have its epicentre in New West, enough said?
Now for the offerings question. With all of the major offerings 40 or 50%depending on which offering it is stays in the local district to fund the work of the district departments. The rest is sent to the UPCC - which forwards the funds to St. Louis - except for Christmas for Christ which is kept in Canada and along with extra funds from the USA is used to finance Home Missionaries in Canada.
Usually money is not given to local assemblies other than to Home Missions type situations.
Most district type events are subsidized by the Districts portion of the major offerings.

So, now you know.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Well this has been an interesting thread indeed. Thad called me prior to begining this thread to see if I could confirm, deny or illuminate what was happening. Unfortunately I could not. BC is not exactly the epicentre of oneness pentecostalism in Canada and I am not really conected to what is going on in and around the churches in this area much anymore. What I did tell Thad, and perhaps some of you easterners could add to or correct what I'm saying, was that there was an administrative change that took place somewhere in the middle 90's that created the UPC of Canada and made it somehow distinct from the UPCI. Now I stand to be corrected on this but I was told it was primarily just a housekeeping matter to legalize all the funds that were flowing to the UPCI from Canadian churches. That it would in no way changed the relationship that local churches or ministers had with the various ministries and governance of the UPCI.

I guess my question would be what do the people who are driving this idea see being accomplished by it? My perspective, being primarily western, would see it as being a way of keeping funds at home and being utilized for local and national projects that are otherwise ignored by those in Mecca. It was always my feeling that an inordinant amount of money went out but precious little ever came back. FMD not withstanding because those funds are not intended to come back to fund local ministries but things like CFC, SFC, SOC etc were always presented as national ministries to the local church but they never seemed to find their way to our local church or any church that I knew of.

I wonder if there is anyone of our fine Canadian UPC friends who post here who might know how much is raised by these ministries vs. what returns back to the district and local church.

I think it would be a very interesting look. Again my perspective is skewed because I have been in never neverland out here on the coast and the things that take place out east were very rarely given any prominance out here. Also, having been away from the UPC for over 7 years now means that things may have changed out here and maybe they lavishing money on the local assemblies promoting evangelism.

When I was in the UPCI our church was constantly raising funds for the various departments. Thousands of dollars were sent to WEC from our church each year. It was difficult to find an opening on the calendar to raise funds for a local cause because you just finished one fund raising campaign for WEC and there was another needing to be promoted.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
When I was in the UPCI our church was constantly raising funds for the various departments. Thousands of dollars were sent to WEC from our church each year. It was difficult to find an opening on the calendar to raise funds for a local cause because you just finished one fund raising campaign for WEC and there was another needing to be promoted.
You think it was bad then??? Seems like every year there is another new offering. I don't think there is a time when an offerin drive isn't in progress.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
I personally do not baptize in the name of Jesus Christ because I associate doing so with the Godhead. I do so because it is the only name in which I have any authority to baptize anyone. Even if I was Trinitarian, I would still baptize in the name of Jesus Christ.
Possible - just last week an AOG pastor reported he will be baptising "in Jesus name".

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves