Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
"Mercy Walked In"

Arrow Rev. H. A. McNatt (my Grandfather)

October 30, 1913-September 26, 2006

Pastor Hugh A. McNatt was called to that Undiscovered World on September 26, 2006. Like Abraham he looked for that city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. He was a man swift to hear and slow to speak. He was a man of few words until he was found behind the sacred desk, ministering the Word of God. It was there that he became known as the long-winded preacher. He was looked upon not as just a preacher, but a great minister of the gospel for 60 years.

In the early years of his ministry Pastor McNatt devoted many hours to the prison ministry, convalescent centers, held street services and also had a radio broadcast ministry. He first held church services in an old fashioned tent, in which he experienced a great anointing. The awesome power and presence of God was so very evident in each service. Many witnessed and experienced miraculous healings as hearts and lives were forever changed.

Pastor McNatt built and established two churches in Tampa, Florida. His youthful days brought popularity being known as a hellfire and brimstone minister, preaching there was a Heaven to gain and a Hell to shun. Many times during altar services when calling sinners to repent he would quote, Proverbs 1:24-30. He preached on the love of God, but also preached of a jealous God and a God of wrath, quoting the scripture many times from Hebrews 10:31 saying, "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Pastor McNatt was totally devoted to Jesus Christ, believing a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches. He was a faithful warrior, never once compromising, but stood true and faithful, even until the very end. He strongly believed and urged all to be holy even as our Heavenly Father is holy, to strive for perfection, and to contend for the faith that was once delivered to the saints. He based his walk with God on I Corinthians 11:1, "Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ." He stated to his congregation many times, if I should ever stop following Jesus Christ then you stop following me.

Although a man small in stature, he was a giant in the eyes of the many souls he led to Jesus Christ. He was a friend to all and had mentored many. He touched the hearts and lives of thousands by his dedication and devotion to the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. He was a great prayer warrior, being especially concerned for those who needed to be restored to the joy of salvation. In his many times of delivering the Word of God he quoted III John 1:4, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

Pastor McNatt was a tower of strength to his family and saints of The First Pentecostal Tabernacle. Although he was known to be stern and seriously meticulous where the word of God was concerned, his love, kindness and gentleness astounded many. The great love he had for people was always evident in his sweet and gentle spirit. When in his presence you could always sense the true love he had for everyone. He was an honorable man full of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. (Galatians 5:22-23)

Like David, he was a man after God's own heart. Like Abraham, he was a man of faith and obedient to God. Like Moses, he was a great leader and teacher. Like Noah, he found grace in the eyes of the Lord and built a haven for the saving of his household. Like Elisha, he always desired a double portion. Like Job, he feared God, lived righteously and in his affliction and suffering did not charge God. Like Jacob, he worshiped the Lord leaning on his staff. Like the Apostle Paul, he fought a good fight and kept the faith, preached the word and encouraged others to do likewise. Like Jeremiah, he was a weeping prophet. Like Peter, he was a rock and pillar.

In his last few days, even the very day before his life ended here on this earth, he laid hands upon some of his great-grandchildren, gave them Godly counsel and like Jacob in the book of Genesis, he blessed them.

He was a man who stood firmly on the word of God for every circumstance in his life. Some of his favorite Bible passages were, I Peter 5:7, "Casting all your care upon him, for he careth for you." Psalm 42:1, "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee O God." Another one he so loved was Psalm 43:5, "Why art thou cast down, O my soul, And why art thou disquieted within me, Hope in God: for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." Although faced in this life with many discouragements, persecutions and tribulations, he withstood the test of time. He crossed many raging rivers and had to climb some of the highest mountains, but through trial and triumph, he stood firm on the Solid Rock. He left this life victorious!

Pastor McNatt performed countless marriage ceremonies, dedicated babies and baptized hundreds all in the precious name of Jesus. He also stood by the gravesides of many committing them into the hands of a just God.

He loved to preach about the Apostle Paul and had a great love for southern gospel music. His favorite hymns were songs about the Cross, the blood of Jesus and being sheltered in the arms of God. You could always feel the awesome presence of God as on numerous occasions he sang his rendition of the song entitled "My God is Real."

He was a member of The Assemblies of The Lord Jesus Christ for almost 20 years. He had a great burden for foreign missions, each month faithfully supporting 7 missionaries. Also at any given ime he generously supported many other foreign missions as well as home missions.

On September 26, with his family gathered at his bedside singing the songs of Zion that he so dearly loved, the angel of the Lord carried him to his brand new home as his granddaughter was singing "ACROSS THE BRIDGE there's no more sorrow, across the bridge there's no more pain, the sun will shine across the river and we'll never be unhappy again." Three weeks later that same granddaughter, who had been a backslider for several years, rededicated her heart and life to God. I can only imagine the rejoicing that took place in Heaven.

On September 30, a celebration honoring Pastor McNatt's life was held at The First Pentecostal Tabernacle, the church he founded and continued to pastor for 59 years. Approximately 300 friends and family were in attendance including 33 ministers. The church fellowship hall served as an overflow room as it was a standing room only crowd in the sanctuary. Many arrived at the church only to leave, due to lack of seating.

Rev. Steve Boyd excelled in officiating with great assistance from Rev. Billy Wiley and Rev. James Box. Special speakers also included his daughter, Sylvia Autrey, son-in-law and Associate Pastor, William Autrey, grandsons, Rev. Nathan Kuykendall and Rev. Kevin Kerbow. Memories were shared from his brother-in-law, Rev. Randolph Nichols, who had a great part in leading Bro. McNatt to the Lord. Pastor McNatt's children and grandchildren rendered songs of praise and victory. As the large crowd walked by one more time to look upon this great soldier of the Lord Jesus Christ, his daughter and son-in-law sang a song entitled, "THANK GOD FOR THE PREACHER who told me of Jesus."

The special celebration of this great hero and legend ended at the graveside with two songs entitled "Won't it be Wonderful There" and "What a Gathering." Although his life on this earth ended, he is just beginning a brand new life in the presence of the Almighty. I Thessalonians 4:16-17, "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with a voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

Pastor McNatt was married to his loving wife, Mary L. McNatt for 73 years. He was an awesome father to his ten daughters and two sons. He was loved and will be sorely missed by his 30 grandchildren, 35 great-grandchildren, 4 great-great grandchildren, 1 sister and his faithful members of The First Pentecostal Tabernacle.

A great man of God has left his earthly home and moved to his brand new heavenly home, a land without pain, sorrow or weeping. It is a land of joy, peace and happiness, where we will never grow old. This is the day Pastor McNatt lived, loved, longed and prepared for.

Many in this modern age may claim a new found religion, but I'll take that spoken by the old time preacher man.

Thank God for the preacher!

Let me know what you think!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Christmas 2009

Re: Rev. H. A. McNatt (my Grandfather)

Was he related to the McNatt's of Memphis?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
"Mercy Walked In"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Was he related to the McNatt's of Memphis?
I'm not 100% sure. I Can find out. Mors of our family members were born and raised here in Tampa.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Christmas 2009

There was a Bro. McNatt who used to pastor in Memphis (UPC), several years ago. Some of his family is still there.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
"Mercy Walked In"

I doubt it. However, our family is huge!! So it is possible
Old 03-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Was there a Kuykendall in the picture?

Didn't Bro. McNatt used to come to conference at Milstead, GA?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
"Mercy Walked In"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
Was there a Kuykendall in the picture?

Didn't Bro. McNatt used to come to conference at Milstead, GA?

in which picture? I am a Kuykendall.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I had a Bro. Kuykendall come and preach for me, he had married a girl that attended Bro. Eberhardt's church in Milstead.

Bro. Eberhardt was one of my greatest heroes!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:54 PM
"Mercy Walked In"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
I had a Bro. Kuykendall come and preach for me, he had married a girl that attended Bro. Eberhardt's church in Milstead.

Bro. Eberhardt was one of my greatest heroes!
Nathan????? Yep, that is my brother!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Yep!
He's the one!

Do you know where he is now, would really love to get him back, but haven't heard from him in some time.

I remember seeing your grandfather years ago at Bro. Eberhardt's, and still remember a sermon your brother preached there during a camp meeting.

Small world!