Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Not riding the train

Re: Mexican Food Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Oh bread machines sure do save a lot of time! Amen to that!

Since I put a whole chicken in the crock pot last night and will have extra chicken, I will throw this together. Obviously, I won't be using grilled chicken. Maybe next time. No lime wedges.

Our Version of Cafe Rio’s Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
1 onion ( diced )
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
to taste cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
5 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons cilantro ( finely chopped )
lime juice ( from 1/2 a lime )
to taste black pepper
1 Can (8 oz) pinto beans ( drained and rinsed )
2 chicken breast ( boneless, skinless )
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 tablespoon paprika
to taste vegetable oil
2 cups pico de gallo
2 avocados ( diced )
2 cups pepper jack cheese
tortilla ( strips )
cilantro ( for garnish )
limes ( wedges, for garnish )

Directions

In a small skillet, saute onion in 1 Tbsp. oil until onions become slightly soft. Stir in cumin, cayenne, and chili powder and saute an additional minute or two.
Transfer seasoned onions to a small crock pot (or medium-sized saucepan). Add chicken broth, cliantro, lime juice, pepper and pinto beans to onions and simmer on low-heat for at least 2-3 hours.

In the meantime (when you are close to serving), combine taco seasoning and paprika. Brush chicken with oil and rub with taco seasoning/paprika mixture. Grill chicken over medium-heat until cooked through (try to turn only once during the grilling process). Remove from grill and shred.

In individual bowls layer chicken, about 1/3 c. pico de gallo, 1/3 c. diced avocado, and 1/3 c. pepper jack cheese. Ladle about 1 cup of chicken broth directly over the layers. Top with tortilla strips and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.

Read more at http://myrecipemagic.com/recipe/reci...XF3gPagvEq2.99
Old 03-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Totally going to make this tomorrow! Probably will use both dark and white meat.

Salsa Verde Honey Lime Pepper Jack Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients

4 chicken breasts (1 1/2 pounds)

10 Minute Marinade
1/3-1/2 cup honey*
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
1/2-1 teaspoon chipotle powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper

1 16 oz. bottle salsa verde
8-10 flour tortillas
3 cups Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded (optional for EXTRA cheesiness)

Garnish
Sour Cream
Cilantro
Avocados

Instructions

To easily cook and shred the chicken: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot and rippling. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Flip the chicken over, then add 1 cup of chicken broth to the skillet. Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked though and tender enough to shred, adding additional chicken broth/water if the liquid evaporates too quickly. Remove chicken from skillet and let rest 5 minutes before shredding.
In a large bowl, whisk together the 10 Minute Marinade ingredients then add the shredded chicken. Let marinate 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and pour ¼ cup salsa verde evenly over the bottom (it will barely cover), reserving the remaining salsa verde.
Lightly toast tortillas in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 30 seconds per side. (Optional but recommended)
After chicken has been sitting 10 minutes, remove chicken to a plate, letting excess marinade drip back into the bowl. To the remaining marinade, whisk in the remaining salsa verde. Set aside.
Begin assembling enchiladas by filling each tortilla evenly with chicken filling and 2 cups pepper jack cheese and optional 1 cup MntereyJack cheese (for the cheese lover). Roll up each tortilla and place, seam side down, in the salsa verde coated baking dish. Repeat process until all tortillas are filled.
Pour the remaining honey/lime/spice/salsa verde sauce over the enchiladas and cover with remaining 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese and optional 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then broil until cheese is golden.

Notes
*If you are not adding any cayenne pepper and only using 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, then only add 1/3 cup honey. The sweetness of the 1/2 cup honey balances out the extra spice of the cayenne and 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder.

http://www.carlsbadcravings.com/sals...en-enchiladas/
Oh, man - totally delicious!!!

Instead of rolling the chicken mixture in flour tortillas, I layered with corn tortillas. I had Habanero Monterey Jack cheese - which I wouldn't use if I had company. The dish definitely has a bite - but not too bad.

Also, I used less that 1/4 cup of honey as most recipes calling for 1/3 or 1/2 is way too much and it would have been.

Perfect dish. You could go with straight Monterey Jack and it would be fine. Smelled like a Mexican Restaurant coming out of the oven. I knew it was going to be good.

Went ahead and made Spanish Rice to complete everything.

Leftovers....'cause I'm going shopping manana.

Haven't tasted the tortilla soup yet.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Not riding the train

Totally the BEST chicken Fajitas I have ever made!!!

Ingredients

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt
2 Tbsp canola, safflower, peanut or grapeseed oil (a high smoke point oil)
1 large onion, sliced lengthwise (root to tip) into 1/4-inch strips
3 bell peppers of various colors, sliced into 1/4-inch strips

Marinade

2 Tbsp lime juice
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Extras

8-12 flour tortillas
Salsa
Sliced avocado
Sour cream
Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed lightly with salt and cider vinegar

Method

1. Chicken breasts come in different sizes. If you have chicken breasts that are around a half pound each or more, you will want to slice them in half horizontally, so that the center thickness is around 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick. (We do not recommend pounding the chicken breasts, doing so will not result in the right texture/consistency for fajitas.)

2. Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass or plastic container. Add the chicken, mix well, cover and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour. (You can marinate them in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours, but remove them an hour before cooking so that they can come closer to room temp.)

3. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Wipe off most of the marinade and sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt.

4. Heat a large cast iron frying pan on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon of canola oil (or other high smoke point oil) to the pan. As soon as the oil begins to smoke, lay the chicken breast pieces in the pan. Depending on the size of the pan, and if you have had to cut the chicken breasts, you may have to work in batches. Let the chicken cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, until you have a good sear. Once seared well on one side, turn the pieces over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until well seared on the second side.

5. Once seared on the second side, remove to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil to rest for 5 minutes. Here's a tip. Stack the seared chicken breasts and then cover them in foil. Together they will retain heat better as you cook the peppers and onions. If you want to test for doneness, cut into one piece with the tip of a sharp knife. It should be just done, if not, you can put it back in the hot pan for a minute or two.

6. While the chicken is resting, cook the onions and peppers. Add another tablespoon of oil to the frying pan. Heat on high. As soon as the oil is hot, add the onions and peppers to the pan. Use a metal spatula to scrape up some of the browned bits from the chicken and stir to coat the onions and peppers with the oil and brown bits. Spread the onions and peppers in an even layer in the pan. Let them cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. You want them to sear with some blackening. Stir the vegetables and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

7. Slice the chicken against the grain into strips. Serve at once with the peppers and onions, some warm tortillas, and sides of shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, and/or thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed with vinegar and salt.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

Anybody made birria? I've been in and around Mexico a gazillion times (never to Jalisco) but had somehow missed this one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=birr..._sm=0&ie=UTF-8
Old 05-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
Anybody made birria? I've been in and around Mexico a gazillion times (never to Jalisco) but had somehow missed this one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=birr..._sm=0&ie=UTF-8
I haven't made this. I'll have to look around and see which recipe I would want to start with. Saw a couple of recipes using different ingredients - one using brown sugar, one adding ancho chilies as well as the guajillo chilies, choices of lamb, beef, goat or pork, etc.

Not real big on using cloves, cinnamon and cider vinegar (although I know it tenderizes the meat. I prefer lime juice) in a meat dish, but I'll check it out.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Totally the BEST chicken Fajitas I have ever made!!!

Ingredients

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt
2 Tbsp canola, safflower, peanut or grapeseed oil (a high smoke point oil)
1 large onion, sliced lengthwise (root to tip) into 1/4-inch strips
3 bell peppers of various colors, sliced into 1/4-inch strips

Marinade

2 Tbsp lime juice
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Extras

8-12 flour tortillas
Salsa
Sliced avocado
Sour cream
Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed lightly with salt and cider vinegar

Method

1. Chicken breasts come in different sizes. If you have chicken breasts that are around a half pound each or more, you will want to slice them in half horizontally, so that the center thickness is around 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick. (We do not recommend pounding the chicken breasts, doing so will not result in the right texture/consistency for fajitas.)

2. Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass or plastic container. Add the chicken, mix well, cover and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour. (You can marinate them in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours, but remove them an hour before cooking so that they can come closer to room temp.)

3. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Wipe off most of the marinade and sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt.

4. Heat a large cast iron frying pan on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon of canola oil (or other high smoke point oil) to the pan. As soon as the oil begins to smoke, lay the chicken breast pieces in the pan. Depending on the size of the pan, and if you have had to cut the chicken breasts, you may have to work in batches. Let the chicken cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, until you have a good sear. Once seared well on one side, turn the pieces over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until well seared on the second side.

5. Once seared on the second side, remove to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil to rest for 5 minutes. Here's a tip. Stack the seared chicken breasts and then cover them in foil. Together they will retain heat better as you cook the peppers and onions. If you want to test for doneness, cut into one piece with the tip of a sharp knife. It should be just done, if not, you can put it back in the hot pan for a minute or two.

6. While the chicken is resting, cook the onions and peppers. Add another tablespoon of oil to the frying pan. Heat on high. As soon as the oil is hot, add the onions and peppers to the pan. Use a metal spatula to scrape up some of the browned bits from the chicken and stir to coat the onions and peppers with the oil and brown bits. Spread the onions and peppers in an even layer in the pan. Let them cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. You want them to sear with some blackening. Stir the vegetables and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

7. Slice the chicken against the grain into strips. Serve at once with the peppers and onions, some warm tortillas, and sides of shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, and/or thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed with vinegar and salt.
I like to read "Simple Recipes" blog.. and she does always have great recipes! I haven't made this exact recipe for chicken fajitas, but they look really amazing.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I like to read "Simple Recipes" blog.. and she does always have great recipes! I haven't made this exact recipe for chicken fajitas, but they look really amazing.
It is amazing. Better than any I have eaten in a restaurant! Just keep the cooked chicken breast in foil to keep them warm.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

None of these recipes have.....bacon in them?????
Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
None of these recipes have.....bacon in them?????
Spicy Bacon Guacamole

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...x-recipe-image

Old 05-20-2015, 07:27 AM
Not riding the train

Bacon Weave Taco Shell located on the website - Dude Foods!

http://dudefoods.com/bacon-weave-taco/