Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:31 PM
A Student of the Word

Re: The Commands of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
If you export the document as a pdf from Word, you can then upload the pdf as an attachment to a post here in the forum.
Thank you! I will do that.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:54 PM
A Student of the Word

I am finally ready to continue with this thread. I hope everyone who has looked at this thread before will do so again.

I am truly interested in reading the thoughts and comments of others - yep, I am still a student and wiling to receive teaching!

Attached is the "complete" teaching of the Commands of Jesus and a short commentary on the series. You can download it and have a readable copy.

May your studies be fruitful.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Instructions and Commandments of Jesus Christ.pdf (616.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf A COMMENTARY ON THE SERIES.pdf (87.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-08-2022, 02:33 PM
A Student of the Word

“How to Effectively Study the Bible"

This also applies to the study of Christ's instructions.

Reading the Bible through in a Year is a commendable undertaking. Such an effort will result in true value for the reader. Even so, it does not compare to actual studying the scriptures. There is a world of difference between the two tasks. Regular reading of the word will result in increased biblical knowledge and discovering new information and/or spiritual insight. I highly recommend the practice.

Yet, to study the Bible brings not only additional knowledge, a storehouse of information and spiritual insights, it brings a deeper understanding of who and what God is plus additional spiritual insights. There is also the prospect of gaining a deeper degree of spiritual wisdom. However, studying requires an extended time, effort, energy and commitment; perhaps even some investment in additional reference materials. It also requires the student of the word to engage in continuous self-reflection, and a serious consideration of the following:

1. Our personal mental, spiritual, and emotional filters through which the scriptures are read and interpreted.
2. Who was writing (teaching) the scripture you are studying?
3. Why did the author write his message?
4. What did the author intend to achieve by his message, and what were the results of the author’s efforts, if recorded?
5. What did this author say elsewhere concerning the same subject, if he did?
6. What did other authors say about this same subject, if any did?
7. What was is the context of the passage?
8. What was the religion and how was it practiced at that time of the writing, as much as we can know it?
9. What was the history at the time the passage was written?
10. What was the culture and social structure at that time?
11. What was the language and the worldview of the author and the people?
12. What, if anything, do the scriptures being studied require of me in this century and culture?

These are critical areas of investigation to understanding the entire Bible, and the foundation for formulating the best working biblical interpretations and developing a sound theology.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 04-08-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:08 PM
A Student of the Word

Thought I would start off by making a few comments concerning all of the instructions of Jesus.

First of all, the questions posed in the downloaded study are not meant to be answered on the forum! They are for you to answer for yourself. Your personal responses, not corporate confessions. However, that is not to say you are free to share your thoughts, opinions questions, insights, etc. concerning any instruction or listed questions.

-------------------------------------
G3340 μετανοέω metanoeo, Repent: to have a change of mind and heart, i.e. to reconsider and relent, (morally) to have remorse.

The first scripture covers the total subject, to repent. The response most often given to what does repent actually mean is, “To turn to (or back to) Christ”. That is an extremely excellent response, but does not convey what that act entails. For example, turn from what, and if one turns to Christ, what does that entail? What does that mean? What requirements does than impose on the one turning?

The definition mentions to major elements of repentance, mind and heart. What do these two terms refer to and how are they different?

Each referenced section, the scriptures provided, and the following lines of questionings are all worthy of a Bible study and teaching. One could spend almost 150 Sunday’s teaching just on Christ’s instructions. Perhaps a mid-week study program?

I REPENTANCE

1. "Repent" Matt. 4:17; Rev. 2:5
2. "Come unto Me" Matt. 11:28
3. "Seek first God and His righteousness" Matt. 6:33
4. "Forgive if ye have ought against any" Mark 11:25
5. "Deny Yourself" Matt. 16:24
6. "Ask, seek, knock" Matt. 7:7
7. "Strive to enter in at the strait gate" Luke 13:24

What is repentance and what does that mean? What does it require? How do you do it? What are the expected results from obeying these instruction(s)?

When Jesus says, “Come unto Me”, what does that mean? How does one do that?

In number three we are to seek first God – and also His righteousness. How does one go about seeking God and where is His righteousness to be found?

What are the requirements for forgiving another? Why is that important? What does that have to do with repentance?

Now, here is a hard one: What does it mean to deny one’s self? How do you do it?

The well-known instruction of ask, seek and knock” What do each of these three instructions mean to a disciple of Christ, and what are the intended results each – and how do they work together?

Then in number seven we have “strive” to enter, not the command to enter? What is the difference between striving and the actual doing? When does your effort become acceptable in God’s eyes?

Overwhelming? When considering the list of fundamentals of an Effective Bible Study, it certainly can be a daunting task. But do not discouraged, you have yourself, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit. Walk in the light you have, and seek more of that light that comes from Jesus Himself.

Shalom Alechem
Old 04-14-2022, 10:41 AM
A Student of the Word

A Supplemental Offering.

We all have many acquired points of view (biases) that we "filter" our lives through. From our daily existence, to how we view our neighbors, to our view of God and the study of His word. Most of the time we are unaware of them and their influence over us. But, our "filters" can hinder both our studies and our spiritual growth!

Attached you will find a pdf outline of the major filters that impede our growth to greater spiritual maturity.

Many years ago I ran across an article that contained the following statement:

"If your view of God has not changed in the past seven years, you're brain dead." I can't cite the author, and don't remember the article, way too far in the past. /sigh/

At first, I dismissed this comment, out of hand. I spent the majority of my time over years working on what do I need to know what God requires of me and what goodies I can expect from Him. One day, while going through my study's, it hit me, "My personal view of God colors how I understand scripture! Further, my view fluctuates on a daily basis!" Sometime I viewed God as the hard, righteous judge, and other times I viewed God as a gracious, loving parent, among many other such views. What I discovered was that I did not have a consistent, coherent view of who and what God really is and what He actually means to me, personally! Then the questions: Do I actually love God? How do I know that I love Him and demonstrate that love to Him - or, do I demonstrate what I think is love, according to my own human based standards, and not His holy standard of love? Ouch!

With some research I found several articles that addressed these issues.

I complied them into a single missive, which I have attached to this post. If I am going to mature in my view of God, and gain a better understanding of His word, then I must clean up what I bring (of myself) to my studies. My foundational view of God will change. This task requires a continual deep self-evaluation, a very messy undertaking, I assure you. I am sharing my insights here for any who are will to undertake such a self-test, evaluation, and the put forth the effort required to mitigate, the best one can, those non-biblical points of view that stand between us and understanding and implementing God's word in our lives. It is also an imperative in understanding and implementing (obeying) the commandments of Jesus in a manner acceptable to Him.

Context is everything.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 04-14-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:48 PM
A Student of the Word

well, it appears that one or two folks found enough interest in looking at the attached material. Thank you.

Any comments and/or corrections, suggestions?
Old 04-27-2022, 03:42 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W. Bowman View Post
well, it appears that one or two folks found enough interest in looking at the attached material. Thank you.

Any comments and/or corrections, suggestions?

Amazingly and honestly written and I will certainly be poring back over the posts with greater effort and at a slower pace.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:25 AM
A Student of the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Amazingly and honestly written and I will certainly be poring back over the posts with greater effort and at a slower pace.
Thank you.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 05-05-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:49 AM
A Student of the Word

/sigh/ In reviewing the last couple of posts I saw where I committed several typo's and grammatical errors. Thankfully most folks will observe these errors and "self-correct" same.

Sorry.