Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned

Remission Of Sins Through Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Exactly my point ... Scripture simply states those who accepted his message were baptized. Nothing more ... nothing less and yet Luke declares them saved that day. If the Apostolic 3- step message is as important as it is today ... I think greater pains should have been taken to clarify ...

I'm basing this on the modus operandi of today.

Daniel,

Let us examine Paul's testimony in Acts 22:6-16, as he traveled to Damascus. Paul testified encountering a glorious light, and then heard a voice utter, "Saul, why persecutest thou me?" Paul then looses his sight and abstains from eating and drinking for three days. There's no doubt Paul prayed and repented of his sins during this fast, but yet more was required of him.

Examine carefully in Acts 22:16, after Paul became blind, fasted, prayed, and received his sight. Ananias said to Paul, "and now why tarriest thou?, arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord"

Ananias asked Paul, why tarriest thou or what prevents you from being baptized?

Daniel, would you baptize a person that had not yet repented of their sins, or would you baptize a person that hadn't concluded he/she was a sinner and needed to change?

In Acts 9:6 Paul acknowledges his faults by asking "Lord, what wilt thou have me do?" Remember Paul was on His way to arrest Christians (Acts 9:1-2) when Jesus appeared unto him.

Why didn't Paul continue on his travel to Damascus to persecute and arrest Christians? Because God convicted Paul on the road to Damascus, and there Paul realized his sins, repented, and submitted to God by saying, "Lord, what wilt thou have me do?"

For this reason Ananias told Paul, "why tarriest thou!" Paul you've repented, what are you waiting for, arise a be baptized. What did Ananias claim baptism would do? Ananias told Paul Baptism would wash away his sins (Acts 22:16)

Greek; Wash Away; apolouo; have remitted

Daniel, here we see the act of repentance didn't provide remission of sins, it was baptism that granted Paul remission of sins.

Without water baptism there is no remission of sins.