Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > The Shopping Mall
Facebook

Notices

The Shopping Mall Find a great deal online? Share it here... Also the place to find links for consumer help sites, etc ...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Re: Holiness Swim Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Only in the sense that I think that it's dangerous to swim fully clothed (in regular heavy clothing). In that way, it looks foolish. It isn't foolish simply because they're completely covered.

Yep--well, that's our family, too. We wear regular clothes to Silver Dollar City and ride all the water rides. (And no, we don't care if we get wet.)
Riding a ride in any clothing is one thing but to ride a wet ride and bring plastic to cover up with - well, that's retarded. lol I think he stated that's what someone did earlier.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Exhibit A:

He didn't say that the swimsuit in the original post was offensive or stupid.

And I agree with him that going to a water park in fully-clothed denim is attention-getting. A water ride at an amusement park is a completely different thing. There are plenty of people there with their clothes on. We go on those all the time in our clothes, and no one gives us a second glance.

A water park, however, whose only purpose is getting wet, is a different story. Knee-length swim shorts, and a swim shirt.... perfectly normal, no stares. Jeans, or jean skirt, and a long-sleeve shirt... that's going to get you some stares. Anyone is free to do it, of course, it's a free country (although some water parks won't allow it), but yeah... people are going to comment on it, and think it's weird.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERUP View Post
Kinda reminds me of the time we were at Six- Flags, I believe.( I am not making fun either) This group of...................Conserative Pentecostals got on one
of the big log rides..............men and woman...........long sleeves and pants(except for the ladies of course)...

Here is the kicker. They all had these large plastic bags over them........

so they wouldn't get wet!!!! For crying out loud!! It was a 100 degrees!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
Why even get on the ride. lol
This is what I think is retarded. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
He didn't say that the swimsuit in the original post was offensive or stupid.

And I agree with him that going to a water park in fully-clothed denim is attention-getting. A water ride at an amusement park is a completely different thing. There are plenty of people there with their clothes on. We go on those all the time in our clothes, and no one gives us a second glance.

A water park, however, whose only purpose is getting wet, is a different story. Knee-length swim shorts, and a swim shirt.... perfectly normal, no stares. Jeans, or jean skirt, and a long-sleeve shirt... that's going to get you some stares. Anyone is free to do it, of course, it's a free country (although some water parks won't allow it), but yeah... people are going to comment on it, and think it's weird.
AQP--I know that "people" will comment and think it's weird. And for the record, I don't go to water parks in a jean skirt and long sleeved shirt. I've never seen any Apostolics dressed like that at a water park. (I've only been to one, anyway.) If they do, of course they'll stand out and look odd. However, it doesn't mean they're stupid, that they should stay home, or that they're ignorant. They're just trying to have fun with their families the same as anyone else.

Regardless--I expect secular people to think it's odd. I expect Christian people to be more understanding. It kind of goes back to another thread--the one about the girl praying at her graduation and ending up in a heap on the floor. Christians are often harder on each other because they are embarrassed when someone does something they feel is "ignorant or stupid", and pride makes them want to draw a hard line between themselves and that behavior lest they be associated with them.

That isn't the way we're supposed to relate to one another. And yes--I jumped the gun, because this is deja vu. We've had this conversation about modest swimwear many times before. Many people think the modest swimwear looks silly. They're not just picking on jeans and t-shirts.

And another note: I see all kinds of secular people getting on water rides in jeans and t-shirts. You're right--not at the water PARK. But definitely at amusement parks. Apparently it's only offensive, ignorant or stupid if it's a LONG-SLEEVED t-shirt and a jean SKIRT.

Personally, I find it ironic and contradictory for liberals to demand personal liberty, but mock conservative people the liberty to practice their beliefs. It's done in a way that would seek to deny them the liberty to practice their convictions. At least, deny them the opportunity to do it without being ostracized, mocked, insulted or disrespected.

When we went to the beach last year, I wore a t-shirt and board shorts over my swimsuit--like I always do, unless I'm in private. However, since the beach was almost completely secluded, I let the kids go a little skimpier. In public, though, I expect them to cover more skin (especially as they get older). When you're with family, that's one thing. In public, I still believe modesty is in order. The fact that secular people don't consider a full-coverage swimsuit to be immodest is irrelevant to me, and it's not how I determine what is modest for ME.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road

Last edited by MissBrattified; 04-29-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:

And another note: I see all kinds of secular people getting on water rides in jeans and t-shirts. You're right--not at the water PARK. But definitely at amusement parks. Apparently it's only offensive, ignorant or stupid if it's a LONG-SLEEVED t-shirt and a jean SKIRT.

I don't think riding a log ride in a jean skirt and long-sleeves is weird. Covering yourself with a plastic bag is a little strange, though. And that would be strange even if you had on a bathing suit underneath. The point of a log ride is to get wet. If you don't want to get wet, just go ride the roller-coaster.

I also think that much of the modest swimwear is classy looking. MOST of us look much better with more covered! The original post.... I wouldn't give it a second glance if it was a Muslim wearing it, that's their culture. A Pentecostal, however... yeah, I'd tend to think they'd gone just a little overboard. But, whatever floats your boat.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
I don't think riding a log ride in a jean skirt and long-sleeves is weird. Covering yourself with a plastic bag is a little strange, though. And that would be strange even if you had on a bathing suit underneath. The point of a log ride is to get wet. If you don't want to get wet, just go ride the roller-coaster.

I also think that much of the modest swimwear is classy looking. MOST of us look much better with more covered! The original post.... I wouldn't give it a second glance if it was a Muslim wearing it, that's their culture. A Pentecostal, however... yeah, I'd tend to think they'd gone just a little overboard. But, whatever floats your boat.
Totally agree.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Totally agree.

Made me think of this video! Now MissB this ain't directed to you or any of the posters on this thread. Just thought of it and "wanted to share!" That's all.

Hope this don't get me banned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2p4L-ZW-HU

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 04-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
Made me think of this video! Now MissB this ain't directed to you or any of the posters on this thread. Just thought of it and "wanted to share!" That's all.

Hope this don't get me banned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2p4L-ZW-HU
Very cute!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:25 PM
mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERUP View Post
Kinda reminds me of the time we were at Six- Flags, I believe.( I am not making fun either) This group of...................Conserative Pentecostals got on one
of the big log rides..............men and woman...........long sleeves and pants(except for the ladies of course)...

Here is the kicker. They all had these large plastic bags over them........

so they wouldn't get wet!!!! For crying out loud!! It was a 100 degrees!!
First thought: CONSERVATIVE Pentecostals, at Six Flags?!?!
Conservatives don't go to worldly amusement parks, do they?? I thought it was against the rules! Man, and I've been missing out!

Second thought: certain Pentecostals aren't the only ones who do weird things at amusement parks. A group of little old ladies (not Pentecostal) got on Thunder River at Six Flags years ago when the ride first opened... and proceeded to open their umbrellas!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

I wear modest swimwear- short sleeves, shorts and a skirt, all made of swimsuit material. I'm quite happy to be modest and no one has ever looked at me funny that I've noticed.