Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Re: " Are Christmas Trees Pagan ? "

i will say amen to you again diggin for truth!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
I generally allow my children to take part in whatever programs their class is doing as they generally revolve around actual mentions of Christ etc but I have pulled my kids out of one program. They were singing O Christmas Tree.
I do my best to live and worship peaceably with my church family but I do have my limits.
I do Christmas, but that is one taboo for my kids also. Won't be any of that. Also, family members got bent out of shape because I told my kids early on there was no Santa Claus. I didn't want their motivation for right living to be santa and toys, but rather Jesus Christ.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Here is an article by Charles Halff,who was Jewish.
http://www.sovereigngrace.net/should.htm
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I do Christmas, but that is one taboo for my kids also. Won't be any of that. Also, family members got bent out of shape because I told my kids early on there was no Santa Claus. I didn't want their motivation for right living to be santa and toys, but rather Jesus Christ.
Awe yes. We told ours as well. We do not shun him entirely however, but just treat him as other imaginary characters (Peter Pan, Pinocchio etc.) Also, we share the true story of how St Nicholas helped to the poor.

But no lying!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

I've been a good boy maybe Santa will bring me a cap or two.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Awe yes. We told ours as well. We do not shun him entirely however, but just treat him as other imaginary characters (Peter Pan, Pinocchio etc.) Also, we share the true story of how St Nicholas helped to the poor.

But no lying!

We dont put up a Christ-mass tree, because while "decking it" in our home, I cannot get pass the thoughts that the origin of what I am doing, I feel, most likely does in fact stem from paganism or heathen customs (in which God despised), and hasn't got anything to do with Jesus, no matter what story I conjur up to justify it. 95% of all my friends do however, and we understand & respect eachother and are careful not to judge eachother, as I realize others are not led by my convictions, and vice versa.

I quoted you, Steve, for this reason: i had read somewhere about st. nicholas giving gifts to the poor, and found nothing wrong with, as in your post, finding the truth of that and st. nick, and sharing it with my kids, his giving to the poor and such. So to try to find info. concerning what he did, I came across this short read. I intend to tell them about st. nick, to some degree, but reading this article of what he supposedly did, makes me question what all the truth actually is behind the stories regarding him. It even says he calmed the seas. Maybe he did? ("who is this that even the winds and the seas obey him") I'll probably leave that one out, but like you, maybe I should keep it basically on being known for "sharing with the poor".

here it is:
Any thoughts?

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 12-02-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop1 View Post
Are Christmass Trees PAGAN ?

JEREMIAH 10: 1 / 6

(1)
Hear ye the word
which The LORD speaketh unto you,
O House of Israel:

(2)
Thus Saith The Lord,
Learn Not The Way Of The Heathern,
and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven;
for the heathern are dismayed at them.

(3)
For the customs of the people are vain:
FOR ONE CUTTETH
A TREE
OUT OF THE FORREST,
The work of the hands
of the workman,
With An Axe.

(4)
THEY DECK IT
WITH SILVER
AND
WITH GOLD;
They Fasten It
With Nails
And
With Hammers,
THAT IT MOVE NOT.

(5)
They are upright
as the palm tree,
but speak not:
They must needs be borne,
because
they cannot go.
Be Not Afraid Of Them;
For They Do Evil,
NEITHER ALSO IS IT IN THEM
TO DO GOOD.

(6)
FORASMUCH AS THERE IS
NOT LIKE UNTO THEE.
O LORD;
THOU ART GREAT,
AND T
HY NAME IS GREAT IN MIGHT.

WHAT SAY YE ?

"If there come Any unto You,
and Bring Not This Doctrine,
Receive him Not Into Your House,
Neither bid him God speed:
For He That Biddeth him God speed
IS A PARTAKER OF HIS EVIL DEEDS."
{II JOHN 1:10/11}

Bishop1

I guess I am ok then - I did not cut mine out of the woods -bought mine at a department store.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

I think organized religion is paganism at its best. Now - I am going to go finish decorating my 3 christmas trees that are in my house.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfADramaQn View Post
I guess I am ok then - I did not cut mine out of the woods -bought mine at a department store.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfADramaQn View Post
Some years ago I belonged to an organization called The Church of Jesus Christ Pentecostal Faith. Our Headquarters was at 1335 Fort Street in Niles, MI. Our Presiding Bishop was G.R. Brock. Bishop Brock was against grape juice in communion, television, and Christmas trees.

We had a church down in SW Kentucky where the father and an adult son both were preachers and I think both were in the organization. One year the adult son decided he was going to have a Christmas tree. The father was horrified but some of them went to the woods and brought home a tree. When they brought it into the house, the father called them "heatherns" and said they were disobeying the Bible. The younger preacher said, "No, we didn't disobey the Bible. The Bible says 'one cutteth a tree out of the forest.' We didn't just have one go out there and get that tree, a whole bunch of us got it."
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited by Sam; 12-02-2009 at 09:07 PM.