Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
holy ghost, jesus, praise, shouting, worship

Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Re: Sit Down and Behave Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
... It releases chemicals in the brain that give a sort of high that is very addicting.

Why do people ride roller coasters and scream their heads off or watch horror movies that get their blood pumping?

It is all for the thrill. Just listen to the music and the way they pump the crowd up and chant the same words over and over with a frenzy beat.
Ya, I've heard more than one pastor defend the "need for excitement" from the pulpit: "We've taken away their nightclubs, their dancin', the drugs, the drinking, the pitcher-shows, the football stadiums, and so on.....So what's wrong wit gettin' excited for JAY SUS?!"
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBee View Post
Ya, I've heard more than one pastor defend the "need for excitement" from the pulpit: "We've taken away their nightclubs, their dancin', the drugs, the drinking, the pitcher-shows, the football stadiums, and so on.....So what's wrong wit gettin' excited for JAY SUS?!"
True, that part always kills me. People will stand up, shout, dance, jump up and down over a football team but sit in a pew like they are at a funeral with the occasional "golf clap" over the Lord of our salvation who gave His life for our sins that we may live an eternity with Him in heaven.

Makes no sense to me.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

yep nothing wrong with putting yourself in worship, however i disagree with the roller coast chemical thing you believe, i get on one and i get sick. I dont get sick in worship, but i do get tired. we dont need to try and bring philosophy and science together, you get dianetics by L. Ron Hubard. so i seriously doubt people are trying to get a emotional high, could some sure, do most i doubt it. There just excited to praise the Lord

again if you want to set on the pew and worship as a ice cube thats your prerogative, however. the things that people do in these services, i dont consider it unruly. the fact that people want to love and worship God should be something every believer does in their life.

WE PRAY TOGETHER ALOUD because in the Bible we read, "They lifted up their voice to God with one accord."- Acts 4:24

WE LIFT OUR HANDS IN PRAISE because in the Bible we read, "Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord." - Psalm 134:2

WE SING WITH ALL OUR HEARTS because in the Bible we read, "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise." - Psalm 98:4

WE PLAY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS because in the Bible we read, "And all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments." - II Samuel 6:5

WE CLAP AND SHOUT UNTO GOD because in the Bible we read, "O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph."-Psalm 47:1

WE DANCE BEFORE THE LORD because in the bible we read, "Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs." - Psalm 150:4

WE TESTIFY PUBLICLY because in the bible we read, "I will declare thy name unto my brethren; in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee." -Psalm 22:22

WE ANOINT WITH OIL FOR DIVINE HEALING because in the Bible we read, "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elder of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord." -James 5:14

WE ALLOW THE OPERATION OF THE SPIRITUAL GIFTS because in the Bible we read, "When ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation." - I Corinthians 14:26

so again i see nothing wrong with this and the move of the Spirit on people in a service,
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Take into consideration Acts the 2nd chapter.

Take into consideration the response of Simon the Sorcerer to the demonstrated DYNAMITE of the Holy Spirit.

Take into consideration the supernatural manner in which Cornelius had the Gospel preached to him, and the result of that sermon.

Take into consideration the Greek word for Holy Spirit and how dynamite is directly assoicated with that same word.
Nothin in those instances are an excuse for the crowd dynamics we see today. In Acts 2 they weren't dancing, our shouting. They were gathered for prayer and the Holy Ghost fell. The text doesn't mention any Pentecostal whooplah. Simon the sorcerer didn't want a new dance or hype the crowd. He wanted the power to impart the Spirit. Yes the Holy Ghost gives POWER. A simple prayer whispered by a saint of God will move all of heaven. It has nothing to do with conjuring the power through ritualistic dancing, chanting, repetitive drum beats, etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
[B][COLOR=blue]True, that part always kills me. People will stand up, shout, dance, jump up and down over a football team but sit in a pew like they are at a funeral
A typical guilt tactic. The above doesn't hold true for a portion of the population (including me) who NEVER get demonstratively excited over a stupid football, nor over the things I do like to do for "fun". They (we) are often made to feel like second class citizens in some churches--somes churches which have all but institutionalized clever, even if tacit pressure to "get with the program, ya dullard!"
Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Oh GOD!

We so DESPERATELY need You!

Oh GOD! I need You! My church needs You! I need You!

Pour out Your Holy Spirit on the hearts of the people gathered there. You were found by a people who didn't seek You. How much more so will You allow for those who seek Your Face to see Your Face!

I don't want to be satisfied with way things are!

Oh GOD! Don't let it happen to me that I am convinced that You are pleased with a golf clap. Change the hearts of Your people-- draw us back to You in our praise and worship and CHANGE FOREVER the way we conduct church services so that we seek and experience Your manifest Presence in our services.

Re-ingnite Your Flame in Your people and burn the hearts of the church goers-- drawing all of us to a deeper relationship with You!
I'd recomend not focusing on the outward behaviors. I'd focus on the Word. Odds are... they don't even know all that Christ has done for them. We don't elaborate on the truths of Scripture enough. Focus on Christ and Christ alone. His atoning death. His propitiatory suffering that appeases God's anger for sin (past, present, and future). The power and meaning of regeneration through the Holy Ghost. Christ's justification that allows them to stand before God as though they never sinned. The joy of discipleship. Sanctification that doesn't form us into the image of Pentecost...but conforms us into the very image of Christ Jesus and their oneness with Him. Focus in on their heavenly rewards and their eventual sinless glorification.

I've noticed that in dead churches there is typically a lot of legalism and little knowledge of core Christian doctrines. Just the thought of Christ being our propitiation can break a soul down to sobbing, rejoicing, and worship. Lift the weights that are holding them down through the Word. Hype will not change them. They need Christ.

P.S.
It sounds like you get it.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Was there a dry eye in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost?

Was there a quiet corner for the reserved saints to experience God without wrinkling their robes?

Why is the word for the Holy Spirit in Greek associated with dynamite-- is it by chance or is it by design?

There is value in the quiet times.

There is value in the roar of worship from the hearts of true believers in Jesus Christ.

There is value in the dancing of the redeemed Christian.

There is value in the leaping of the discouraged Christian.

There is value in the joy displayed when one runs the aisles in praise to God.

Biblical praise MUST be demonstrated.

Yes, we have to do something.

In the course of offering up a sacrifice of praise, we may have to praise God when we don't feel like praising God. How else would it be a sacrifice?

Christians must praise God.
God help Pentecost if Christians ever have to go underground, meet secretly in homes, or hide for the sake of our very lives. lol

Let's cut through the garbage. We need CHRIST!

This love for show only comes from a comfortable, emotionalist, and entertainment driven culture. I meet every week with a group of saints in a brother's basement. There is no band, no dancing, no clapping (except on rare occasions), no charismatic chaos, no bang clang of big Pentecost. It's about 12 men who are servants of Jesus Christ, seeking to be conformed into His very image. Seeking to be vessels of Christ to reach and heal a lost and dying world. Sometimes we'll be discussing a passage and a silence will fall over us that is so deep and powerful... one brother whispered, "He's here." Our guest started sobbing and came to Christ.

We don't need the bang clang. We need Christ.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-06-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Nothin in those instances are an excuse for the crowd dynamics we see today. In Acts 2 they weren't dancing, our shouting. They were gathered for prayer and the Holy Ghost fell. The text doesn't mention any Pentecostal whooplah. Simon the sorcerer didn't want a new dance or hype the crowd. He wanted the power to impart the Spirit. Yes the Holy Ghost gives POWER. A simple prayer whispered by a saint of God will move all of heaven. It has nothing to do with conjuring the power through ritualistic dancing, chanting, repetitive drum beats, etc.
just your opinion, to those who looked at them declared they were drunk with new wine. so yes great stuff happening spiritually but stuff was also happening physically, or there would be no reason for such a verse to be in the bible. do we know exactly what went on in the upper room, maybe not but we have ideas of what has taken place with our own experiences.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

Where I came from people would run the aisles, jump over pews, dance, roll on the ground, scream in tongues, and just go wild. The pastor would STAND on the pulpit and repeat "Oh, you're not hearing me!" about a dozen times with regards to us being Pentecostal and that means we are worshipers. Yet on many occasions he'd be discussing a passage and touch on the cross... and nobody budged. Sadly, Pentecost get's all the praise all too often. For example, in the church I left this was a favorite song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vd_C5KX_lk

It's become all to frequent that our services are filled with praising ourselves.

Where will this church be when America is reeling in the wake of God's indignation and we're secretly meeting in basements? I get more out of having 10-15 brothers gathered in a home with the Scriptures open, discussion plumbing the depths of truth, and passing the bread and the wine.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
just your opinion, to those who looked at them declared they were drunk with new wine. so yes great stuff happening spiritually but stuff was also happening physically, or there would be no reason for such a verse to be in the bible. do we know exactly what went on in the upper room, maybe not but we have ideas of what has taken place with our own experiences.
Some thought they were drunk because they couldn't understand their speech. They didn't do the chicken dance to a repetitive drum beat while Peter screamed over and over again, "Oh c'mon now, You're not hearing me! This is that!!!" on the terrace of the upper room. lol

It should also be noted that a number of those present on the Day of Pentecost heard their native tongue. Something most of us have rarely seen in our services.

Let's not sell ourselves short by longing for the modern innovation of what we call "church".