Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
apostolic, baptism, baptized, pentecostal

Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Question Curious about Baptism!

Hello, I am a 20-something female who was raised Protestant. However, for a few months now I have been attending Apostolic Pentecostal church with a friend. I really enjoy it. I recently feel that The Lord is wanting me to be baptized, but I have a few questions.

1. I have not "received the Holy Ghost" yet/spoken in tongues, although I want to. Am I eligible for baptism or does this need to occur first?

2. What, in a nutshell does baptism mean to you?

3. If I am baptized does this mean I am pentecostal? I wear skirts to church but not outside of church and I cut my hair, etc. will that absolutely have to change? Does this mean I am then a member of the church?

I'm just trying to see if I'm on the right page here before I move forward.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

-savedbygrace
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Smile Re: Curious about Baptism!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Re: Curious about Baptism!

Hello Savedbygrace!
You are certainly eligible for baptism! It is the step that washes and cleanses you from the sins for which you've repented. Baptism is where the blood Jesus shed on Calvary is applied but ONLY if the Name of Jesus is called over you. Baptism in the titles is worthless.
When you receive the Holy Ghost as per the scriptures, you will become a new creature in Christ Jesus. You will see the need to dress holy, to live holy, as the inclinations are evident in your speech.
Plunge in today and become one of the redeemed according to the scriptures!! Welcome to the family!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbygrace89 View Post
Hello, I am a 20-something female who was raised Protestant. However, for a few months now I have been attending Apostolic Pentecostal church with a friend. I really enjoy it. I recently feel that The Lord is wanting me to be baptized, but I have a few questions.

1. I have not "received the Holy Ghost" yet/spoken in tongues, although I want to. Am I eligible for baptism or does this need to occur first?

3. If I am baptized does this mean I am pentecostal? I wear skirts to church but not outside of church and I cut my hair, etc. will that absolutely have to change? Does this mean I am then a member of the church?

-savedbygrace
Baptism is for those that have put their faith in Jesus and accepted what He did on the cross. It does not have to occur after speaking in tongues

Baptism is a LOT of things. It symbolizes a new life (circumcision of the heart). It declares your desire to be a disciple of Jesus. It symbolizes death and resurrection

Don't worry about BEING Pentecostal. Just fall in love with Him. Read His word, follow it, pray, Live a godly example to others within and without side the church.

As far as THAT particular church goes I can't answer as to their idea of acceptance and not all churches are the same

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

-savedbygrace
1. The injunction of Peter on the day of Pentecost was to "repent and be baptized" (Acts 2:38). The prerequisite for baptism is repentance which infers faith/belief. The infilling of the Holy Ghost will come it is not the prerequisite, repentance is.

2. Baptism is part of the new birth experience (John 3).
Through it we are buried with Christ that like Christ rose from the grave we also should walk in new life IF we are planted in the likeness of His death (Rom. 6).
Through baptism our hearts are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands (Col 2).
Through baptism remission of sins are received (Acts 2).

3. "Pentecostal" is a term typically used to designate a person who has spoken with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives the utterance.

May God continue to lead and guide you.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:

-savedbygrace
It's essential that you ask the pastor of the church these questions. If you disagree with any of his answers, I'd advise not attending that church. If you agree with his answers, you'll probably be happy there.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Hello Savedbygrace!
You are certainly eligible for baptism! It is the step that washes and cleanses you from the sins for which you've repented. Baptism is where the blood Jesus shed on Calvary is applied but ONLY if the Name of Jesus is called over you. Baptism in the titles is worthless.
When you receive the Holy Ghost as per the scriptures, you will become a new creature in Christ Jesus. You will see the need to dress holy, to live holy, as the inclinations are evident in your speech.
Plunge in today and become one of the redeemed according to the scriptures!! Welcome to the family!
AMEN! WELCOME AND GOD BLESS YOU WITH HIS HOLY SPIRIT---so that you can become a New Creature, with His divine nature inside.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Thank you so much for the wonderful answers and kind words! I've fallen in love with this Apostolic church I have been attending. It does something for me as a Christian that my old church did not. I am not opposed to becoming truly "Pentecostal": not cutting hair, no more pants, etc. But I was wondering if it would be necessary. I do live my life with Christian standards and dress modestly (although I do wear pants).

I view my impending baptism as a new beginning and rededicating my life to Christ. I just wanted some feedback and please keep it coming!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

savedbygrace89,
many of us are walking the fine line of sharing our opinions and trying not to steer you in one direction or another.

Baptism in Jesus' name is a wonderful experience and I urge you to do it if you feel you need to. If you realize how much Jesus loves you and the price he paid on calvary... if you believe that he is the Christ and that He died for you and want to make him the Lord of your life, then do it!
Seek God's will for you and seek a deeper relationship with Him.

As far as the strict dress, there are some here that are all for it and those who aren't. We're all about 'holiness' but that definition varies from congregation to congregation. As long as you don't place your trust in how you look and don't judge others to be unsaved based on their hair or skirt, then you may have found a home... even if it's just for a while.

I'm happy that you're getting into a better relationship with Jesus. Don't let religion and/or man deter you from that.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:

-savedbygrace
welcome and the best advice I can give you is to pray and ask Jesus your questions, in due time he will answer you with much better answers than anyone else could give you.