Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

BTW the following is something Mike Blume posted that I thought worth its salt.

You would have to do a websearch to find all the MANY details. But basically it is the text that is the source of all the corrupted manuscripts. The STEPHENS or ALZEVIR'S is the good one.

Nestle's text came along when people started critiquing the bible and wanting to know what was genuine scripture and what was not. They allegedly found previously unknown or unexamined new manuscripts. In other words, they accepted the thought that God's Word could have been lost. If that is the case, then God did not supernaturally preserve His Word, was He must have if He supernaturally inspired it. God can do anything. And I f he inspired it it only is logical that He preserve it.

Nestle's text was devised by Eberhard Nestle in 1898 and was a supposed step CLOSER to what they believe they will NEVER truly be able to arrive at: a genuine word of God. They believe THERE IS NO WORD OF GOD any more, since they say the true words written originally are lost. Once you go down that road, the devil makes you think that if some of it is wring, then what else is wrong, and your whole faith is thrown out the window in time.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouvere View Post
BTW the following is something Mike Blume posted that I thought worth its salt.

You would have to do a websearch to find all the MANY details. But basically it is the text that is the source of all the corrupted manuscripts. The STEPHENS or ALZEVIR'S is the good one.

Nestle's text came along when people started critiquing the bible and wanting to know what was genuine scripture and what was not. They allegedly found previously unknown or unexamined new manuscripts. In other words, they accepted the thought that God's Word could have been lost. If that is the case, then God did not supernaturally preserve His Word, was He must have if He supernaturally inspired it. God can do anything. And I f he inspired it it only is logical that He preserve it.

Nestle's text was devised by Eberhard Nestle in 1898 and was a supposed step CLOSER to what they believe they will NEVER truly be able to arrive at: a genuine word of God. They believe THERE IS NO WORD OF GOD any more, since they say the true words written originally are lost. Once you go down that road, the devil makes you think that if some of it is wring, then what else is wrong, and your whole faith is thrown out the window in time.
Actually it began with Wescott and Hort
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
I will find where I read that hold on.BTW did you notice that the Greek professor graduated from a school that is as far removed from Apostolic thought as possible.Just wondering.
Also the fact that many of these ministers use the NIV version in books and teachings leads me to believe they endorse the Minority texts.
Where else are they going to graduate?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Where else are they going to graduate?
Praxeas sad but true.How about sharing some knowledge about the subject.I am sure you have studied it extensively and am interested in what you know about it.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Praxeas sad but true.How about sharing some knowledge about the subject.I am sure you have studied it extensively and am interested in what you know about it.
Where to graduate or original languages? LOL Im not an expert on either. I just do like others do....refer to the experts and study some of what they have studied. Most UPCers that want higher education in original languages go to other theology schools including the secular schools. Dr Segraves did. He has several semesters in greek though I am not sure what he has done in greek after that.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Where to graduate or original languages? LOL Im not an expert on either. I just do like others do....refer to the experts and study some of what they have studied. Most UPCers that want higher education in original languages go to other theology schools including the secular schools. Dr Segraves did. He has several semesters in greek though I am not sure what he has done in greek after that.
Have you read the commentarys written by Brother Treece called the Litteral Word? I have been to a few of his minsters seminars at La Dist Campground.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 AM
PaPaDon

Dr. Daniel Segraves book

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I haven't read it... but if he wrote it.. I can garuntee you it won't be harmful to you...
In early 2001, after reading both of Bro. Seagraves publications about the New Testament book of Hebrews, I wrote a letter to him seeking further clarification to some of the statements he had made which I believed to conflict with the sound precepts of the Scriptures. In his response, dated February 1, 2001, he maintained that the statements of his publication were valid, and suggested that I consult the contents of the following publications as evidence of such:

Death and the Afterlife by Robert A. Morey (Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House Publishers, 1984)

The Bible and the Life Hereafter by William Hendriksen (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1959)

What Happens After Death by F.W. Thomas (Vancouver, B.C.: Thomas Publications, 1978)

The Christian state after death and before resurrection by J. Urwin and S.J. Robinson (Sunbury, PA: Believers Bookshelf, Inc.)

After many attempts to locate and purchase the suggested publications, I was only able to obtain Death and the Afterlife by Robert A. Morey. Being unable to recognize Robert A. Morey as a Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal minister, I then sought to determine his denominational affiliation. I was shocked to discover that this man was not only a minister in the Southern Baptist church, but had also produced a video which was extremely critical of the teachings of the UPCI. I managed to obtain a copy of such video, and after viewing it I was prompted to also explore the religious affiliation of the others whom Bro Seagraves had suggested I consult to verify the veracity of the statements he had published as truth. In so doing I found that NONE of the men who authored the publications suggested by Bro Seagraves, were of the Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal faith. This astonishing discovery caused me to entertain yet further questions concerning the scriptural merits of the things which prompted my initial inquiry to Bro Seagraves. How was I to rely upon the scriptural veracity of Bro Seagraves statements found within his books on Hebrews, or anywhere else, if his understanding of biblical precepts were deprived from the writings of men who apparently were void of the Spirit of Truth?

In NO manner whatsoever would I desire that others reading of my contact with Bro Seagraves, construe anything I have written, as implying that I question his integrity, or desire to assist others to come to a better understanding of biblical precepts. I am only saying, that in my humble opinion, He is definitely WRONG regarding some of the things he published within the context of his publications about Hebrews which I found to contradict the truth of God’s written Word, and that IF it be that the sources which he suggested I consult to substantiate the scriptural veracity of his statements are a reflection of the manner in which he determines the truth, then I am compelled to question each of his statements concerning other biblical doctrines as well!

I DO NOT discount Brother Seagraves as a brother in Christ (for only he and God knows if he is truly one of God’s chosen people), rather that as a result of this singular incident, I feel justified in questioning the scriptural merits of ALL things which he asserts as truth. Are we not commanded to “prove the spirits”? Is there any exception made to this admonition, should it be that the one making statements which contradict the sound precepts of the Bible, just happens to be an Apostolic minister or the president and dean of theology at a Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal bible college? I think not!

BTW... I found more than one incident of contradictory statements within Bro Seagraves publications regarding the book of Hebrews, but that is a matter of an entirely different discussion.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Have you read the commentarys written by Brother Treece called the Litteral Word? I have been to a few of his minsters seminars at La Dist Campground.
No, though I had a tape where he gave a commentary on the greek of Jn 1...they don't publish that commentary anymore though
Old 04-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaDon View Post
In early 2001, after reading both of Bro. Seagraves publications about the New Testament book of Hebrews, I wrote a letter to him seeking further clarification to some of the statements he had made which I believed to conflict with the sound precepts of the Scriptures. In his response, dated February 1, 2001, he maintained that the statements of his publication were valid, and suggested that I consult the contents of the following publications as evidence of such:

Death and the Afterlife by Robert A. Morey (Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House Publishers, 1984)

The Bible and the Life Hereafter by William Hendriksen (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1959)

What Happens After Death by F.W. Thomas (Vancouver, B.C.: Thomas Publications, 1978)

The Christian state after death and before resurrection by J. Urwin and S.J. Robinson (Sunbury, PA: Believers Bookshelf, Inc.)

After many attempts to locate and purchase the suggested publications, I was only able to obtain Death and the Afterlife by Robert A. Morey. Being unable to recognize Robert A. Morey as a Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal minister, I then sought to determine his denominational affiliation. I was shocked to discover that this man was not only a minister in the Southern Baptist church, but had also produced a video which was extremely critical of the teachings of the UPCI. I managed to obtain a copy of such video, and after viewing it I was prompted to also explore the religious affiliation of the others whom Bro Seagraves had suggested I consult to verify the veracity of the statements he had published as truth. In so doing I found that NONE of the men who authored the publications suggested by Bro Seagraves, were of the Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal faith. This astonishing discovery caused me to entertain yet further questions concerning the scriptural merits of the things which prompted my initial inquiry to Bro Seagraves. How was I to rely upon the scriptural veracity of Bro Seagraves statements found within his books on Hebrews, or anywhere else, if his understanding of biblical precepts were deprived from the writings of men who apparently were void of the Spirit of Truth?

In NO manner whatsoever would I desire that others reading of my contact with Bro Seagraves, construe anything I have written, as implying that I question his integrity, or desire to assist others to come to a better understanding of biblical precepts. I am only saying, that in my humble opinion, He is definitely WRONG regarding some of the things he published within the context of his publications about Hebrews which I found to contradict the truth of God’s written Word, and that IF it be that the sources which he suggested I consult to substantiate the scriptural veracity of his statements are a reflection of the manner in which he determines the truth, then I am compelled to question each of his statements concerning other biblical doctrines as well!

I DO NOT discount Brother Seagraves as a brother in Christ (for only he and God knows if he is truly one of God’s chosen people), rather that as a result of this singular incident, I feel justified in questioning the scriptural merits of ALL things which he asserts as truth. Are we not commanded to “prove the spirits”? Is there any exception made to this admonition, should it be that the one making statements which contradict the sound precepts of the Bible, just happens to be an Apostolic minister or the president and dean of theology at a Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal bible college? I think not!

BTW... I found more than one incident of contradictory statements within Bro Seagraves publications regarding the book of Hebrews, but that is a matter of an entirely different discussion.
Uh....you thought that in order to back up sound theological practices he was going to point you to other oneness pentecostals? That's internally inconsistant and unsound. Just because Morey writes against our beliefs does not make him wrong on everything.

Oneness Pentecostals have since the beginning of the last century resorted to and used the works of non-Oneness Pentecostals across the board. We use their greek lexicons and dictionaries. We use their commentaries. We use their translations. We use their books on the cults like the JWs and Mormons. We use their historical books on the church and the jews. We use their books on eschatology. We use their books on theology. We use their books on prayer. We use their books why we should use the KJV. We use their books on hermoneutics and systematic theology....

BTW you never did point out what this error was and attempt to show how it was wrong
Old 04-14-2007, 01:21 PM
PaPaDon

Quote:
Uh....you thought that in order to back up sound theological practices he was going to point you to other oneness pentecostals? That's internally inconsistant and unsound. Just because Morey writes against our beliefs does not make him wrong on everything.

Oneness Pentecostals have since the beginning of the last century resorted to and used the works of non-Oneness Pentecostals across the board. We use their greek lexicons and dictionaries. We use their commentaries. We use their translations. We use their books on the cults like the JWs and Mormons. We use their historical books on the church and the jews. We use their books on eschatology. We use their books on theology. We use their books on prayer. We use their books why we should use the KJV. We use their books on hermoneutics and systematic theology....

BTW you never did point out what this error was and attempt to show how it was wrong

No... I expected that, since I was questioning the scriptural merits of certain statements he made, that he would provide other passages of scriptures in support thereof. Are we not admonished to establish ALL truths by the mouth of two or more witnesses? And are not those "witnesses" to be the words of other holy men of olden times who wrote as they were inspired of God?

Insofar as references to the writings of non-apostolic writers, I have no arguments against such, for even I consult them for references purposes ONLY, not to substantiate the scriptural merits of my fundamental beliefs.

Insofar as Morey's writings are concerned, I deemed it quite offensive that a fellow apostolic would even suggest that I consider anything this man might have to say, for in the video I viewed wherein he spoke of the UPCI, he called it a cult. If I am to heed and obey our Lord's commandment to "judge righteous judgment," then I can only deem Morey to be nothing more than a "false prophet," and I choose to avoid such, and would never willingly allow any of my fundamental beliefs of biblical doctrines to be based upon anything which he might assert as truth.

I was converted to the oneness apostolic pentecostal faith after more than 48 years of association with the likes of Morey, and this is yet another reason that I found it offensive for Bro Segraves to suggest that I consult with Morey's writings to ascertain biblical truth.

The thing I found to be scripturally unsound within Bro Segraves writings concerned matters of eschatology, and seeing that this is not the topic of this thread, I did not consider it appropriate to mention its specifics.

I hope that this will enable you to better comprehend the remarks of my previous post.