Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM
On the road less traveled

What kind of pastor is this?

Just became aware of a situation today in my immediate family concerning a former pastor of mine. Although he was my pastor for 21 years, and I've long since gone, he continues to pastor some of my family members.

The family member of mine with which this drama has unfolded has had a courtship relationship with a man in another church for three years. They live about 1500 miles or so apart, and have seen each other a few times a year for the last three years, and it was known to each of their pastors that their intention was marriage at some point.

Just this week, my family member went to church for a regular service, and without warning became the topic for the service, and found out over the pulpit, that she was NOT to marry this man. After three years of being courted by this man, with apparent blessing on the part of both pastors, the relationship had continued.

Now, out of the blue, in just an ordinary service, she was told in front of the entire congregation the decision of the pastor to not allow the marriage.

Now, here's the kicker. Do you want to know WHY she is not allowed to marry this man?

He's black. She's white.

That's the reason. It took this pastor three years, waiting until the wedding plans were in the making, before simply announcing his decision to the church, over the pulpit, without any knowledge of hers beforehand.

Further... and that's not all folks. Hold onto your seat belts for this one.

IF she decides to go ahead and marry the man (as the man's pastor has given his full blessing on the wedding, and has said he will marry them, even if her pastor won't) she will be ex-communicated from the church, and ANYONE who attends the wedding will also be ex-communicated from the church.

Now, this is a family that has literally fallen all over themselves for the last 40 years or so to follow this pastor, now to face being ex-communicated from the church that they have been faithful members of, simply because their daughter has fallen in love with a godly, wonderful young black man, and wants to marry him.

This is an Apostolic, Pentecostal, AMF-fellowship associated pastor who has done this. And let me add this... this is NOT the first time he has done such a thing.

What say ye?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Re: What kind of pastor is this?

Very sad. But, it could be the best thing to ever happen to her, it could show her the way out.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 11-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

She should pray about if right man just like with anyone and if thinks he is she should marry him.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Just became aware of a situation today in my immediate family concerning a former pastor of mine. Although he was my pastor for 21 years, and I've long since gone, he continues to pastor some of my family members.

The family member of mine with which this drama has unfolded has had a courtship relationship with a man in another church for three years. They live about 1500 miles or so apart, and have seen each other a few times a year for the last three years, and it was known to each of their pastors that their intention was marriage at some point.

Just this week, my family member went to church for a regular service, and without warning became the topic for the service, and found out over the pulpit, that she was NOT to marry this man. After three years of being courted by this man, with apparent blessing on the part of both pastors, the relationship had continued.

Now, out of the blue, in just an ordinary service, she was told in front of the entire congregation the decision of the pastor to not allow the marriage.

Now, here's the kicker. Do you want to know WHY she is not allowed to marry this man?

He's black. She's white.

That's the reason. It took this pastor three years, waiting until the wedding plans were in the making, before simply announcing his decision to the church, over the pulpit, without any knowledge of hers beforehand.

Further... and that's not all folks. Hold onto your seat belts for this one.

IF she decides to go ahead and marry the man (as the man's pastor has given his full blessing on the wedding, and has said he will marry them, even if her pastor won't) she will be ex-communicated from the church, and ANYONE who attends the wedding will also be ex-communicated from the church.

Now, this is a family that has literally fallen all over themselves for the last 40 years or so to follow this pastor, now to face being ex-communicated from the church that they have been faithful members of, simply because their daughter has fallen in love with a godly, wonderful young black man, and wants to marry him.

This is an Apostolic, Pentecostal, AMF-fellowship associated pastor who has done this. And let me add this... this is NOT the first time he has done such a thing.

What say ye?
As Spock would say IF he were human, she needed to tell this pastor, while he stood behind the pulpit to, quote, "Go to hell", unquote.

Then walk out and not return.

Last edited by RandyWayne; 11-16-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

And furthermore, she already had "his approval" to marry him?

That right there is over half the problem.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Marry him and move to where husband is.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Like any good wife should
Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Very sad. But, it could be the best thing to ever happen to her, it could show her the way out.
I hope you're prophetic!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
As Spock would say IF he were human, she needed to tell this pastor, while he stood behind the pulpit to, quote, "Go to hell", unquote.Then walk out and not return.
She doesn't want to go to hell, she is scared to death. RW, I think from your former background you understand the mentality people in this kind of a situation have. She fears disobeying the pastor is rebellion, and as the sin of witchcraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
And furthermore, she already had "his approval" to marry him?

That right there is over half the problem.
I'm assuming she had his permission to "court", but apparently when wedding plans began to commence, he took it upon himself to publicly disgrace her in front of the congregation, without sharing any of that with her beforehand.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Time will tell what she does. Pray for her, if you will.