Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

No Hunger For Discipleship

It seems there is really a fear of hearing about Biblical Discipleship. Anytime its mentioned its always shot down by someone claiming you are just a self righteous Pharisee.

Nonetheless its high time to get back to the truth.

No one is a disciple to Christ who puts anything else above him.

5 And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned , and said unto them, 26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:25-27

Whens the last time you heard this preached? Ever? I have only heard it a very few times in almost 4 decades of Christian life.

Friends don't be ashamed of the teachings of Yeshua. Let us humble ourselves that he may exalt us in due time.

So much error and heresy about you need not do anything! Just believe. Not realizing at all that to believe means to ACCEPT WHAT CHRIST SAID!

The false teachers want us to think a mere confession without obedience will allow one into the kingdom of God.

Christ is correcting those who will hear.

He must come first. Above Father, Mother, Wife, Children, Brothers and Sisters and even our own lives. If that is not real we are not living a Christian life. We are in danger of eternal destruction.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: No Hunger For Discipleship

Yes, MTD. You've spoken truth, truth straight from the Word of God. People don't want to believe that suffering, and surrender are a part of the gospel, but in Jesus' own words, they indeed are.

Reading a book today "Tortured for Christ" by Richard Wurmbrand. Every Christian needs to read this book... and if they've read it before, it would be good to read again.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Yes, MTD. You've spoken truth, truth straight from the Word of God. People don't want to believe that suffering, and surrender are a part of the gospel, but in Jesus' own words, they indeed are.

Reading a book today "Tortured for Christ" by Richard Wurmbrand. Every Christian needs to read this book... and if they've read it before, it would be good to read again.
Read it years ago. I still get his ministries magazine every month and donate to it more than anywhere. People have been dulled to the point discipleship to Christ does not seem exciting. They have made it seem like a burden to run from.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

The doctrine of repentance is about forsaking all. Turning from self and sin to Yeshua and his teaching.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

I have never heard or seen this.

Quote:
It seems there is really a fear of hearing about Biblical Discipleship. Anytime its mentioned its always shot down by someone claiming you are just a self righteous Pharisee.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
I have never heard or seen this.
Did you just get here? That's practically all that's presented when someone comes with a message of take the cross, deny youself and follow him.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
On the road less traveled

The teaching of 'pick up your cross and follow Jesus' must be taught in great love. If it is taught in a heavy-handed way.... "suffer with me ... or else" kind of idea... it doesn't do any good. Fear does not reproduce love. Fear paralyzes and immobilizes. Love motivates and stimulates.

If and WHEN a person truly meets Jesus, and truly falls in love with Him... and the Holy Spirit of God comes to rest in that life, then the message of the cross will not be a burden, but it will be a joy.

Most often the message of the cross is taught "do or die"... in sincerity of course, trying to warn people about the dangers of not being completely sold out to the cause of Christ.

But... honestly... when someone truly comes face to face with Jesus, falls down at His feet to worship Him, the message of the cross will not be a burden, it will be a joy... and that is how you know the difference between a so-called professed Christian who says He knows Christ, as opposed to the one who not only knows Him, but who loves Him and has suffered with Him.

II Timothy 3:12 "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
KBTW I read that book and blew up my entire mindset towards suffering for Christ and even what our Savior went through to purchase us.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.