Notices

Marriage Matters For discussion of Marital issues

Old 11-17-2022, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Re: Divorce and remarriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
1 Timothy 3:4-5 KJV
One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; [5] (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

How does a never married man "ruleth well his own house having his children in subjection with all gravity"? Paul states a requirement of an overseer is to know how to manage his own household. A never married man doesn't really have such experience.

1 Corinthians 7:26 KJV
I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be.

The context of Paul's earlier statement in Corinthians is general advice for people during a time of distress. The statement in Timothy is a specific requirement for oversight of a congregation. So I see no contradiction. Otherwise, the married would be prohibited from being a bishop (the Roman Catholic position).
I think that is a given that most people are gonna be married and Paul was speaking to the general audience, but I don’t think it was intended to disqualify people who chose a life of celibacy to serve the Lord. There are very few people that would come under the category, and it really so minuscule a scenario that it may not be worth mentioning. Most people do not feel complete without being married and that is by Gods design.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
Has nothing with drawing acceptance, but the only way marriage should be viewed by all involved. I understand that anytime people are involved that problems arise. I was raised in my grandparents home and they where married for about 60years before my grandmother passed. There was many hard times and mistakes made, but they had a sense of duty to one another and to their. children. 99.99% of divorcement today is nothing but selfishness. There is really never an innocent party in a divorce.
I agree with everything you said except for the last sentence. NEVER an innocent party? Those Jewish women that Jesus was defending in Matthew 19 were not often innocent victims? There are not cases today where one spouse gives their all while another is self-centered and just changes their mind on a whim? Is there no victim or innocent party in such a case?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I agree with everything you said except for the last sentence. NEVER an innocent party? Those Jewish women that Jesus was defending in Matthew 19 were not often innocent victims? There are not cases today where one spouse gives their all while another is self-centered and just changes their mind on a whim? Is there no victim or innocent party in such a case?

I probably should of said in 99% cases of divorce today there is no innocent party. Here is the thing, the innocent party is not going to be the one purposing divorce. Also, I hear of people saying that they changed after we married, I personally struggle agreeing with that. People are so infatuated with one another during engagement, but after the vows are made it is like they married a different person lol
Old 11-17-2022, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

On a side note, we should show compassion to the fallen. If people have already failed marriages, we should not condemn, but seek their restoration. Even in the ugly cases where there has been infidelity. No sin is unpardonable, but blaspheming the Holy Ghost. Divorce is sad because it affects so many and not just the guilty (children, family, friends are divided)
Old 11-17-2022, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I probably should of said in 99% cases of divorce today there is no innocent party. Here is the thing, the innocent party is not going to be the one purposing divorce. Also, I hear of people saying that they changed after we married, I personally struggle agreeing with that. People are so infatuated with one another during engagement, but after the vows are made it is like they married a different person lol
I think I agree with you that in the West, most divorce is unjustifiable. But I don't think it holds true in other parts of the world. Nor do I agree that a victim won't be the one ending the marriage. If a woman is being physically abused, she should end it.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:56 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
That is what makes this discussion so difficult. On the one hand, it is obvious that God does not want rampant divorce in his church. We, of all people, should be able to save our homes and marriages through Christ. But on the other hand, reading "perpetual adultery" and "invalid second marriages" into the words of Christ in Matthew 19 as a way to scare people not to remarry is not the way to go.
We also have a messed up society, with messed up situations, that have to be dealt with. The ideal often isn't experienced by people. So as the church we have to navigate things carefully without cutting people off who we ought not. I haven't read where remarriage is the unforgivable sin, yet sometimes we treat it as such which places a lot of people outside of any ministerial reach that need to be ministered to.

The law of God allowed a divorced woman to remarry. If the husband divorced her for an invalid reason, wouldn't the sin be on him? She however, having been actually divorced, wouldn't be bound to him.

Like I said before, any interpretation which has Jesus abolishing God's law on divorce and unilaterally issuing new legislation doesn't make any theological sense. So there we are.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-17-2022, 07:59 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Part of the problem could be solved by ending "no fault" divorce, recriminalizing adultery, and reinstating parental consent as a requirement. It wouldn't make everything perfect, but it would be a lot better than the mess we have now.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-17-2022, 08:59 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
If a woman is being physically abused, she should end it.
Back in the day, her father and brothers/cousins would "end" the abuse. Just saying...

Old 11-18-2022, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Back in the day, her father and brothers/cousins would "end" the abuse. Just saying...
100%
Old 11-23-2022, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

What happened to James?