Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Banned

some personal stuff

52 weeks ago today I had to make the hardest phone call of my life. I had to call my sister and tell her our 68 year old father had died. It was very unexpected, he was pretty healthy and full of life. Its been a rough year. I live only 300 yards from my parents and seen my dad almost every day. I am in my mid 40s but I have learned something in the past year, I don't NEED my dad but man I sure do miss him!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: some personal stuff

Having dealt with many deaths involving patients and seeing the reaction of family, it's a fear I have knowing that one day my parents will go as well.

I'm sorry you went through that.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Banned

I lost my dad last year on December 12th. It was very hard. It's strange, I called into work because everything was just going wrong. I was home and sleeping on the couch for some extra shut-eye when the phone rang. Christina answered the phone and was given the news. She woke me up and had to tell me that my father was found dead that morning in his living room.

I had lost my mom in 2007. Having no living parents is a very strange void of a feeling. I kind of "free fall" wherein you know that there is no where to turn for close intimate advice other than the LORD Himself. Since my brother died when I was younger, I'm the only one left. My kids can only look to me and sadly will never fully know the joys of going to grandma and grandpa's house. It's perhaps the most "void" emotion I can describe. There aren't words for it.

I pray that the LORD comforts and heals the hearts of those who have lost loved ones. I pray that God gives us assurance that if our parents were born again, they are with Him and perhaps are even with us in spirit on occasion. It's funny. I sometimes feel the need to talk to my mom at times when I would ordinarily call her. Can she hear me? I don't know. I would like to think so, but it might just be more of a psychological/emotional comfort. On rare occasions, I could swear that I feel her presence. I know that the LORD is there all the time, but something tells me that she's often praying for me on my behalf, because I'm so stupid sometimes. And sometimes I like to think that she's cheering for me from the stands of Heaven.
Hebrews 12:1
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,...
Old 07-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill E Goat View Post
52 weeks ago today I had to make the hardest phone call of my life. I had to call my sister and tell her our 68 year old father had died. It was very unexpected, he was pretty healthy and full of life. Its been a rough year. I live only 300 yards from my parents and seen my dad almost every day. I am in my mid 40s but I have learned something in the past year, I don't NEED my dad but man I sure do miss him!
It a blessing to be able to say that you miss someone, especially when it is one of your parents.

I know of a person who even as of this moment would probably not have the blessing of actually missing a parent once they are gone.

You love and you were loved and now you miss him, but you're still loved and you KNOW that you have been and will always be loved by him.

You really are blessed.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
It a blessing to be able to say that you miss someone, especially when it is one of your parents.

I know of a person who even as of this moment would probably not have the blessing of actually missing a parent once they are gone.

You love and you were loved and now you miss him, but you're still loved and you KNOW that you have been and will always be loved by him.

You really are blessed.
I concur with you JD. I never knew my dad. Billy Goat, you have been blessed with your family and although they are gone in the flesh you can still cherish those memories. Prayers to you with your loss.

Quote:
1 Thess. 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I concur with you JD. I never knew my dad. Billy Goat, you have been blessed with your family and although they are gone in the flesh you can still cherish those memories. Prayers to you with your loss.
I had the unfortunate experience of my mom having a stroke (brain aneurysm) at age 70 and lay up in a nursing home for 5 years basically living on her brain stem. My dad was there everyday and took such good care otherwise she probably would and should have went on 1-2 years afterwards. One thing that was certain, he loved my mom more than anything and gave up his life for her. He did live 7 years after that. The nursing home had never seen anyone like him.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnman View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of my mom having a stroke (brain aneurysm) at age 70 and lay up in a nursing home for 5 years basically living on her brain stem. My dad was there everyday and took such good care otherwise she probably would and should have went on 1-2 years afterwards. One thing that was certain, he loved my mom more than anything and gave up his life for her. He did live 7 years after that. The nursing home had never seen anyone like him.
That is how marriages should be.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill E Goat View Post
I feel your pain. I lost my dad when I was barely in my teens and now I am almost 60 and I don't think a day goes by that I don't miss him. I lost my mom in 2009 and it is the same.

I don't think we are ever prepared to lose a parent. I will be praying for you and your sister and all of your family affected.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"