Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
Banned

Re: Starbucks and White Guilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
The Starbucks CEO is a bleeding heart liberal. He doesn't care whether his employees acted right or did the right thing. You're right that he doesn't want any negative publicity.

Speaking of settling: there was a settlement announced today in which the two men settled for $1 each and the promise by Starbucks' CEO to give $200,000 to establish a youth program for young entrepreneurs.
I'd like to see that story. Can you send a link?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I had a client, who was black, call me asking why he hadn't received his refund check yet. Per policy, after a certain time frame we can reissue a check once the client has signed a bond of indemnity. The dude went off about how I was racist and making him sign it because he was black. Claimed I was implying that he was dishonest or some criminal. Nothing I said could change his mind. It was ridiculous. Standard procedure for everyone, but this guy was adamant that I was singling him out.

smh
Yes, that happens. I've been in similar situations. But I don't let that leave me jaded, thinking the worst of every situation just because they're black and that anyone who notices racism is a snowflake.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I'd like to see that story. Can you send a link?
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...city-2-n870816
Old 05-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think we all have. But what makes you think these two gentleman did that?
Again, previous experiences. It's an assumption, I understand. But it's one I would be correct in making in the majority of circumstances.

This from the link I provide above:

"the men had not purchased anything and refused to leave."

Quote:
And Starbucks will ensure that you don't... because it's obviously pretty bad.
Or.... it could be they don't want it out because it could show two people who acted in accordance with Starbucks' own policy, without regard of color. In that case, the Starbucks CEO would be clearly wrong for statements made after the incident. He'd either be proven to have wrongfully slandered his own employees or be forced to agree with their actions...the aftermath of which, would cause a ton of backlash towards Starbucks.

Last edited by n david; 05-02-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
They were present, listening to what was being said, watched it all unfold, started recording it, and felt like it was rather discriminatory. They aren't snowflakes, they're witnesses.
The woman who took the video and tweeted it is a raging, bleeding heart liberal.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
I know the Starbucks near here are always very busy, especially between 6AM and 9AM. If people are just sitting around, taking up space and not ordering anything, the business has a right to tell them to take a hike.

And if they refuse to do so, the business also has the right to have them removed by the police.

I don't believe this was a racial thing. I believe there's more to the story. I would bet money these guys mouthed off to the Starbucks employee and refused to leave or order anything.
Did nobody watch the two videos I posted?

They were asked to leave and refused to leave. The police showed up and asked them to leave. Again, they refused. At that point, they were placed under arrest. The black police chiefy guy said race was not an issue. The black police supervisor on site apparently didn't see race as an issue.

I don't care who you are, if you are asked to leave a business, and refuse, you are trespassing and subject to arrest. Once the police are involved, if you still refuse to leave when asked by them then you WILL be placed under arrest, black or not. Notice, the police are not obligated to ask you to leave, they could just show up and arrest your hind end and toss you in the clink.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 05-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I think that was fair. They weren't out to try to bank on it.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again, previous experiences. It's an assumption, I understand. But it's one I would be correct in making in the majority of circumstances.

This from the link I provide above:

"the men had not purchased anything and refused to leave."
But what does "refused to leave" mean?

From what I'm gathering, they were told that if they were not going to make a purchase, they were going to have to leave. They explained that they were waiting on someone, and the employee then backed off and went to call police. I'm not sure if one can say that they "refused to leave" at that point. Of course, a manager who had white fear might have felt like they were refusing to leave. The two men might have thought they were now okay to continuing waiting.

Quote:
Or.... it could be they don't want it out because it could show two people who acted in accordance with Starbucks' own policy, without regard of color. In that case, the Starbucks CEO would be clearly wrong for statements made after the incident. He'd either be proven to have wrongfully slandered his own employees or be forced to agree with their actions...the aftermath of which, would cause a ton of backlash towards Starbucks.
Eh, I don't know. I don't think you'd have had the comments among other customers if everything was on the up and up. Whatever happened made a number of other customers uneasy.

What I don't understand is why the officers still insisted on arresting them when the man they were meeting finally showed up, apologized for being late, and insisted that they could just go somewhere else. In most situations the police don't want to arrest a person over something meaningless or silly. And even though they were arrested and taken downtown, they were released without any charges.

The whole thing is stupid. People wait to meet people in coffee shops all the time. People are asked if they are going to purchase anything and explain they are waiting on someone without consequence all the time. Police change course as more information becomes available all the time. I just think it's all stupid. None of it was necessary.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
The woman who took the video and tweeted it is a raging, bleeding heart liberal.
Of course she is. Everyone knows we can't trust a Confederate Flag waving conservative to care about racism in this day and age. lol

Conservatives only protest gay wedding cakes, women's health clinics, and any effort to expand Medicare/Medicaid to cover uninsured families with health insurance. lol
Old 05-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Did nobody watch the two videos I posted?

They were asked to leave and refused to leave. The police showed up and asked them to leave. Again, they refused. At that point, they were placed under arrest. The black police chiefy guy said race was not an issue. The black police supervisor on site apparently didn't see race as an issue.

I don't care who you are, if you are asked to leave a business, and refuse, you are trespassing and subject to arrest. Once the police are involved, if you still refuse to leave when asked by them then you WILL be placed under arrest, black or not. Notice, the police are not obligated to ask you to leave, they could just show up and arrest your hind end and toss you in the clink.
That's true. If a business establishment asks you to leave and you don't, they can call the police. And if you don't comply with the police, you can be arrested. Definitely by refusing to leave after the police requested it, they are subject to arrest.

I think the issue here is that if they were two white guys in shirts and ties, nobody would have said a thing to begin with. And if they were asked to make a purchase or leave, after saying they were waiting on someone, there wouldn't have been an incident.

I've been asked if I was going to purchase something while waiting for someone else before. No one called the police on me. In fact, if they insisted I leave, I would have complied. And if it was a misunderstanding and the police were called, I'd definitely leave upon a police officer's request.

But thank God I don't have to ever worry about anything like that. I'm white. I might be offered a complimentary coffee while I wait. lol