Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

Re: House Church - How It's Done.

A powerful poem I found:
The Church and The World

The Church and the world walked far apart
On the changing shores of time:
The world was singing a giddy song,
And the Church a hymn sublime.
“Come, give me your hand”, cried the merry world,
“And walk with me this way.”
But the good Church hid her snowy hand,
And solemnly answered “Nay!”

“Nay, walk with me but a little space”,
Said the world with a kindly air,
“The road I walk is a pleasant road,
And the sun shines always there.
“My path, you see, is a broad, fair path,
And my gate is high and wide;
“There is room enough for you and for me
To travel side by side”,

Half-shyly the Church approached the world
And gave him her hand of snow;
The old world grasped it and walked along,
Saying in accents low:
“Your dress is too simple to suit my taste;
I will give you pearls to wear;
“Rich velvet and silk for your graceful form
And diamonds to deck your hair.”
The church looked down on her plain, white robes
And then at the dazzling world,
And blushed as she saw his handsome lip
With a smile contemptuous curled.
“I will change my dress for a costlier one”,
Said the Church with a smile of grace;
Then her pure white garments drifted away,
And the world gave her in place
Beautiful satins and shining silks,
And roses, and gems and pearls;
And over her forehead her bright hair fell,
Crisped in a thousand curls.

“Your house is too plain”, said the proud old world,
“I’ll build you one like mine;
Carpets of Brussels and curtains of lace,
And furniture ever so fine.
And he bought her a costly and beautiful home;
Splendid it was to behold;
Her sons and her beautiful daughters dwelt there,
Gleaming in purple and gold.
And fairs and shows in the halls were held,
And the world and his children were there;
And laughter and music and feasts were heard
In the place that was meant for prayer.
The Angel of Mercy flew over the Church,
And whispered, “I know thy sin.”
The Church looked back with a sigh
And longed to gather her children in.

“Your preachers are all too old and plain”,
Said the gay old world with a sneer.
“They frighten my children with dreadful tales
Which I like not for them to hear.
“They talk of brimstone and fire and pain,
And the horrors of endless night;
“They talk of a place that should never at all
Be mentioned in ears polite.
“I shall send you some of the better stamp,
Brilliant and gay and fast,
“Who will tell them that people may live as they list,
And go to heaven at last.”

“The sons of the world and the sons of the church walked closely,
Hand and heart,
And only the Master Who knoweth all
Could tell the two apart.
Then the church sat down at her ease and said,
“I am rich and in goods increased;
“I have need of nothing, have nought to do
But to laugh and dance and feast.”
The sly world heard her and laughed in his sleeve,
And mockingly said aside,
“The church is fallen, the beautiful church,
And her shame is her boast and pride.”
Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 AM

How exactly do house churches keep from disputes over doctorines? .....Do the elders in charge draw the line on what is or isnt open for dispute?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 07-18-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
A powerful poem I found:
The Church and The World

The Church and the world walked far apart
On the changing shores of time:
The world was singing a giddy song,
And the Church a hymn sublime.
“Come, give me your hand”, cried the merry world,
“And walk with me this way.”
But the good Church hid her snowy hand,
And solemnly answered “Nay!”

“Nay, walk with me but a little space”,
Said the world with a kindly air,
“The road I walk is a pleasant road,
And the sun shines always there.
“My path, you see, is a broad, fair path,
And my gate is high and wide;
“There is room enough for you and for me
To travel side by side”,

Half-shyly the Church approached the world
And gave him her hand of snow;
The old world grasped it and walked along,
Saying in accents low:
“Your dress is too simple to suit my taste;
I will give you pearls to wear;
“Rich velvet and silk for your graceful form
And diamonds to deck your hair.”
The church looked down on her plain, white robes
And then at the dazzling world,
And blushed as she saw his handsome lip
With a smile contemptuous curled.
“I will change my dress for a costlier one”,
Said the Church with a smile of grace;
Then her pure white garments drifted away,
And the world gave her in place
Beautiful satins and shining silks,
And roses, and gems and pearls;
And over her forehead her bright hair fell,
Crisped in a thousand curls.

“Your house is too plain”, said the proud old world,
“I’ll build you one like mine;
Carpets of Brussels and curtains of lace,
And furniture ever so fine.
And he bought her a costly and beautiful home;
Splendid it was to behold;
Her sons and her beautiful daughters dwelt there,
Gleaming in purple and gold.
And fairs and shows in the halls were held,
And the world and his children were there;
And laughter and music and feasts were heard
In the place that was meant for prayer.
The Angel of Mercy flew over the Church,
And whispered, “I know thy sin.”
The Church looked back with a sigh
And longed to gather her children in.

“Your preachers are all too old and plain”,
Said the gay old world with a sneer.
“They frighten my children with dreadful tales
Which I like not for them to hear.
“They talk of brimstone and fire and pain,
And the horrors of endless night;
“They talk of a place that should never at all
Be mentioned in ears polite.
“I shall send you some of the better stamp,
Brilliant and gay and fast,
“Who will tell them that people may live as they list,
And go to heaven at last.”

“The sons of the world and the sons of the church walked closely,
Hand and heart,
And only the Master Who knoweth all
Could tell the two apart.
Then the church sat down at her ease and said,
“I am rich and in goods increased;
“I have need of nothing, have nought to do
But to laugh and dance and feast.”
The sly world heard her and laughed in his sleeve,
And mockingly said aside,
“The church is fallen, the beautiful church,
And her shame is her boast and pride.”
That is an awesome post! I wil cutand paste that one!

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
How exactly do house churches keep from disputes over doctorines? .....Do the elders in charge draw the line on what is or isnt open for dispute?
Different house churches do it differently. Some have not issue with attendees having different doctrinal ideas because of their different religious backgrounds. Others establish an "articles of faith" early on and these serve as the non-negotiables. I've considered using the Christian Development Courses 1 & 2 by Pastor Crawford Coon to root elders in Apostolic doctrine. A general statement of beliefs could be as follows to set specific doctrinal tenants:
What we believe...

We believe that the Bible in its original languages is uniquely the infallible, unchangeable, divinely inspired Word of God by which all believers are to order their lives. (2 Timothy 3:16; Proverbs 30:5-6; Psalm 119:89; Matthew 7:24-27)

We believe that there is one God, who is Creator of all things and Lord over all creation; that He is an eternal, invisible, omnipresent, almighty Spirit; that He is holy; that He is merciful and good; and that He is the author and arbiter of all Truth; and that God is ONE. (Isaiah 45:5; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Revelation 4:11; Matthew 11:25; Psalm 90:2; 1 Timothy 1:17; Jeremiah 23:24; Genesis 17:1; John 4:24; 1 Peter 1:16; Psalm 103:8; Psalm 145:9; Deuteronomy 32:4; 6:4)

We believe that God was manifest in flesh as the Man, Jesus of Nazareth, who is the Son of God, the Christ, and our Savior; that in Him dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily; and that the name JESUS is the only personal name of Deity given among men whereby we must be saved. (1 Timothy 3:16; Romans 1:3; Matthew 16:16; John 4:42; Colossians 2:9; John 5:43; Hebrews 1:4; Philippians 2:9; Acts 4:12)

We believe that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was fully human; that He was begotten of the Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life, was crucified for our sins, rose bodily from the dead on the third day, ascended into heaven, poured out the Holy Spirit, gave ministerial gifts to the Church, and is coming again to reward all human beings according to their works. (1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 2:16; Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:35; Hebrews 4:15; 1 Corinthians 15:3; Luke 24:51; Acts 1:9-11; 2:1-4; Ephesians 4:7-11; Revelation 22:12).

We believe that salvation was purchased for all by the blood of Jesus Christ, but is effective only in those who repent, believe, and obey. (2 Corinthians 5:14; Luke 13:3; Mark 1:15; Acts 16:31; Hebrews 5:9)

We believe that salvation is based solely and entirely upon the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, but that salvation is received through repentance from sin and faith in Jesus Christ, which must be expressed by baptism in water in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission (or forgiveness) of sins; and that those so doing are promised the gift of the Holy Spirit, which is initially evidenced by speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance. (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:44-48; Acts 19:1-6; Acts 2:1-4)

We believe that all believers must follow on to know the Lord, to keep His commandments, to perfect holiness, to love their neighbors as themselves, and to live in a manner that reflects a total commitment to the principles and standards of Christianity as set forth in the Bible—and that anything less than this will ultimately result in a departure from the faith, a falling away, and a fearful expectation of judgment. There is no unconditional eternal security. (Hosea 6:3; 1 John 2:3; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Matthew 22:39; Titus 3:12; 1 Timothy 4:1; Hebrews 6:4-6; Hebrews 10:26-27)

We believe that there will be a bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust; that all must appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that all who have been faithful will live forever with Jesus Christ; and that all who are unbelieving and unfaithful will be destroyed in the lake of fire, which God has prepared for the devil and his angels. (Daniel 12:2; Acts 24:15; Romans 14:10; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 20:12-15; Matthew 25:41)
Some house churches simply hold to the Apostle's Creed....
The Apostle's Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth;
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
(translation by the International Consultation on English Texts)
*Please note: The Creed, although having a Trinitarian structure, is not explicitly Trinitarian. The Creed began to be developed before the Trinitarian controversy arose, and the Creed (unlike the Nicene Creed) was not an attempt to correct a specific heresy.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-23-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Yes'm... I need to start one here where I am. It is 20 miles any direction to a oneness work and there isn't a oneness church in this town at all.

So far I have taken the easy route and worked to help an already established church about 20 miles away.

Well, did ya yet?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
The house churches I've attended were very simple models. One person hosted the group meeting in their home. There wasn't an official "pastor" in the sense that we understand it. The office of "pastor" is a calling... not a political position in the group. Therefore out of a group of 15 people 3 men or more might have the calling of "pastor" on their lives. This means that they work together as "elders" to spiritually shepherd the believers attending. Everyone's calling is acknowledged. Everyone was encouraged to search the Scriptures and bring what they felt the Spirit leading them to bring. All were encouraged to bring edifying messages. Rebukes were to be dealt with privately unless the individual continued in sinful rebellion. Everyone took turns sharing their "insight" or "message". The messages weren't intended to be very long or "profoundly entertaining". They were very short... but STRONG. There was little need for using drawn out illustrations or timed humor. It was just people sharing the Word and opening up together.

Something else struck me... there wasn't a push for "members". There was just a push for "sharing Jesus" with everyone. They weren't focused on building a congregation and getting a building, but instead the focus was "the Kingdom of God." This is why they didn't mind seeing new faces every week. They looked at it like they were opening their home and ministry up for all to freely visit and receive something from God. Individuals could stay or go as they pleased, their prayers were simply that the individual grew in their walk with Jesus and became more firmly rooted in "the Kingdom". They were strongly encouraged to have an "elder friend" they could turn to for spiritual advice and counsel. But for the most part it was really just a service to all who could come and go as they felt led.

It was really neat.

Aquilla,
Do you still attend, and if so how is it going?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Well, did ya yet?
As of this moment. No sir. I haven't. But I am getting closer and closer all the time.

There really is a need here and I keep feeling the call more and more.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
As of this moment. No sir. I haven't. But I am getting closer and closer all the time.

There really is a need here and I keep feeling the call more and more.

If/when you do, please post (or let me know) how it goes.

Last edited by shag; 08-31-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
If/when you do, please post (or let me know) how it goes.
Will do.

We have been discussing it more and more here lately and we have decided that the first step would be to have house "services" here in our home with our family. That way we could develop some level of familiarity with the process.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Will do.

We have been discussing it more and more here lately and we have decided that the first step would be to have house "services" here in our home with our family. That way we could develop some level of familiarity with the process.

Sounds like a good place to start.
This week we're planning to start having home bible study, 1 day a week, w/ just our imm. family. We've done so before, but this time we're gonna try to add more time w/'family prayer" before bible study. We have people(other denom.) that want to do hb studies in our home w/us, so in a few weeks, we'd like to start that(probably in replacement of our immed.)....as a multi-family thing. Small kids may be an issue. 1 goal is to tie in plenty of "corp." prayer w/ bible study. Singing together is unlikely to take place immediately atleast, maybe later on if things lead that way. So far at this time, this is not to replace attending where we do, but only in addition to attending our local assembly. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by shag; 08-31-2009 at 07:53 AM.