Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-03-2024, 07:55 PM
New User

Talking Re: Tent Revivals -- Are they still a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Nobody jumped on you. We're just responding to your statements.
He is sensitive.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:04 PM
New User

Re: Tent Revivals -- Are they still a thing?

Dr. Braden Andersen is doing tent revivals. He is a medical doctor turned UPCI evangelist.

JESUS TENT REVIVAL

Last edited by diakonos; 03-06-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
Yeah, I've been away for a while, I know, but...

Does your church or anyone that you know of still have tent revivals?

I repented underneath a Gospel tent back in May 2015. The Lord had been dealing with me for a few weeks, and when we went to church that night, I knew I was going to the altar. It was a powerful night. I felt fresh, brand new, like every burden and every heartache had been completely restored. The love I felt was overwhelming and yet peaceful and comforting.

I have a soft for tent revivals. Our church tries to do at least one a year. Sometimes we do more if ministers within the church are able to find places that will allow us to put up a tent and preach.

We are in the midst of a tent revival right now. One of the preachers in our church has been called to pastor, and we've set-up the tent in his side yard. He's preaching and we're there to help. We're all stepping forward in good faith that God is going to bless him and his wife to oversee a congregation of believers in the very near future.

So, what say you? Do y'all still have tent revivals?
That's great!

Supporting the work of God, helping that family become rooted into their community sounds like the will of God.

Tent revivals have a special place in my heart as well, been to several while I was growing up. The great thing about the church is how flexible it is, if your church feels tent services still have an impact, then by all means do them as you feel needed. Some areas of this country may not have an impact in their community doing tent services, so they have other means to impact their area.

We still have home services, we worship God right in our living room. To some that may not be good enough, and that's fine, yet it works in our area.

I go to the jails and preach, every Friday, sitting there with men that may or may not call you when they get out. Some are just there to get out of the cell, have no intention to allow God to breaks the chains that hold their spirit. Friend to some in the church it may not be worth the energy and effort, however just last Friday to see a big ol biker guy feel the anointing begin to cry and weep, I don't apologize, I love that!

It just seems to me God specializes in the unconventional!

CP Kilgore and his Wife went on a 30 day fasting and praying marathon. When he was sleeping/eating, she was praying/fasting, and visa versa. They did this for 30 days. At the end of the 30 days, God told Bro. Kilgore to go to the church and preach. Bro. Kilgore went to the church and began to preach, and he preached as if the church house was filled, truth be told there wasn't a soul there except for Bro. Kilgore. At the end of the message God told him to call an alter call, he admitted it felt funny doing that, yet when he did what he didn't realize there was a group people gathering around from the outside listening to this man preach to nobody! Except when he called an alter call many of those people that were listening, came running in and went to the alter!

If tent revivals open up for you, then give it everything you got.

Lord Bless you!
Old 03-07-2024, 07:35 AM
Sister Alvear

I say do anything that is possible and pleasing to God to win souls!

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 03-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Biblically, sinners aren't supposed to "grace the door of a church". The church is not a building. God does not dwell in temples made with hands. Evangelism is a command to the church to "Go!" and not a request to sinners to "Come".

Whether it's a tent, a brush arbor, a rented hall, a street corner, or someone's living room, it doesn't matter, as long as it serves the purpose. It should be a practical means to an end, not an end in itself.
Amen! I try to keep myself from misusing the word "church" out of respect and appreciation for the Lord (and if I'm honest also in the hope that He will be pleased and give me more understanding) but I still slip up sometimes. The Church needs to get better at this - we are not Protestants!
Old 03-07-2024, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I say do anything that is possible and pleasing to God to win souls!
Amen Sister! I recall Paul displaying a similar spirit, being very careful not to tear down another's work for the Lord out of respect for what God might do through it.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I don't think they are "a thing", that is, a commonly held practice, to the extent that they used to be seen all over the US in the earlier part of the 20th century.

Whether or not they should be held is entirely up to the local congregation and the evangelists who participate in them.

There is no Biblical pre-scription or pro-scription, either way.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 03-24-2024, 08:23 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
I see a purpose. You can take the church to the lost with the tent. Yes, you can witness and share the goodness of God without a tent, but sinners that will never grace the door of a church will come to a tent.
I believe you can find a homeless camp in your area. There are many tents there. Ask around, also there may be groups in your city which are already dealing with the homeless population. You can meet with them to find where the tent campsites are located.