Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Mr. Stewart

Re: Another Innocent Dead 17 yr Old

Let me put on my hat as the forum's resident expert on race and race relations

Obviously race relations is a sensitive and emotional issue all around. Given our history (even fairly recent history) it would be naive to expect anything less. Having said that, let me attepmt to address some of the different layers. I think I can speak for myself, JD, and every other member here when I say that black on black violence is a huge problem in our nation. There is no doubt that, on average, a black person is much more likely to be killed by another black person. Of course, I believe this is true of all the various racial groups...but interracial violence in the black community is of a particular concern. There are literally millions of voices within the community who work tirelessly to address this, so that issue is not ignored in an effort to cast blame.

Having said that, there are some issues that make cases perceived like this a separate concern. When black on black violence is dissected, it is apparent that the vast majority of it is because of the lifestyle that both black people are mutually are involved in. It is no secret that black males in particular are much more involved in gang, criminal, and drug-related activities. Most often than not, the activities contribute mostly to the death and violence and not merely the color.

As a black male who is not involved in these activities, does not go to the nightclubs, does not associate with those people, and does not hang out in that environment, my chances of being affected by that particular violence shrinks exponentially.

The problem with the specter of someone being approached primarily because of their race (as is alleged in many cases) is that it is largely unavoidable. I can largely prevent my 17 year-old son from running rampant in certain circles...I cannot prevent him from being black and walking or driving home. This is where the apples and oranges come in. I think these things need to be communicated succinctly and without a lot of emotion so people can understand what is being said and feared.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post

Obviously race relations is a sensitive and emotional issue all around. Given our history (even fairly recent history) it would be naive to expect anything less. Having said that, let me attepmt to address some of the different layers. I think I can speak for myself, JD, and every other member here when I say that black on black violence is a huge problem in our nation. There is no doubt that, on average, a black person is much more likely to be killed by another black person. Of course, I believe this is true of all the various racial groups...but interracial violence in the black community is of a particular concern. There are literally millions of voices within the community who work tirelessly to address this, so that issue is not ignored in an effort to cast blame.

Having said that, there are some issues that make cases perceived like this a separate concern. When black on black violence is dissected, it is apparent that the vast majority of it is because of the lifestyle that both black people are mutually are involved in. It is no secret that black males in particular are much more involved in gang, criminal, and drug-related activities. Most often than not, the activities contribute mostly to the death and violence and not merely the color.

As a black male who is not involved in these activities, does not go to the nightclubs, does not associate with those people, and does not hang out in that environment, my chances of being affected by that particular violence shrinks exponentially.

The problem with the specter of someone being approached primarily because of their race (as is alleged in many cases) is that it is largely unavoidable. I can largely prevent my 17 year-old son from running rampant in certain circles...I cannot prevent him from being black and walking or driving home. This is where the apples and oranges come in. I think these things need to be communicated succinctly and without a lot of emotion so people can understand what is being said and feared.
I live in SoCal. Here there is a LOT of Hispanic on Hispanic murder as well as Hispanic on black and Black on Hispanic

Speaking of Racism....blacks and Hispanics don't all like each other. I have been around Hispanics and heard them speak derogatory towards blacks...in a racial manner. Yet Hispanic on black crimes are never classified as another Mexican shot a black man.

Why? Because of politics

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:

I must admit I get emotional about it myself. It's very hard not to.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV

Last edited by Cindy; 11-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Quote:

The bold statement in red caused me to thank God I'm a saved black man! It was HIS mercy! Anyway, before I get to Pentecostal in here... Good stuff.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialedbyfire View Post
The bold statement in red caused me to thank God I'm a saved black man! It was HIS mercy! Anyway, before I get to Pentecostal in here... Good stuff.
Amen, Praise God.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I live in SoCal. Here there is a LOT of Hispanic on Hispanic murder as well as Hispanic on black and Black on Hispanic

Speaking of Racism....blacks and Hispanics don't all like each other. I have been around Hispanics and heard them speak derogatory towards blacks...in a racial manner. Yet Hispanic on black crimes are never classified as another Mexican shot a black man.

Why? Because of politics
Speaking of racism...I can't think of any two groups of people who all like each other. I don't think anything can be done to fix everybody, so I don't even sweat it.

The good news is that a lot of progress is being made, particularly in our churches. I just returned from meetings that included, among others, many black and hispanic leaders of the Org. Many great things being done and planned.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Go Dodgers!

BTW, the part in red....I was just thinking the same of Lindsey Lohan...despite all her legal problems, she has not learned her lesson and still goes to the clubs and parties and now she is really in hot water

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:

Why? Because of politics
To address your question, no doubt a politician will use anything to his advantage (particularly if it involves emotion or fervent belief). However, I don't think all can be blamed on politics. I think we have to recognize, whether we like it or not, that history is a factor as well. Like I said, it would be naive and Pollyanna-ish to think it wouldn't be.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Quote:

Why? Because of politics
Very true. Even though I remember I was young probably around the late 90s when everyone was into the whole "conscious rap music" fad that there was talk of what was called a "mini-genocide" in certain parts of SoCal. Over here on the East Coast we were hearing rumors that black men were getting picked off one by one by hispanics on the West Coast. It was a big topic of discussion that kind of died down until massive immigration of hispanics became the norm a few years later in DC and the violence got heated. I'm not saying it's right but the lack of publicity on that might possibly be because of the local nature of the violence. African Americans on the Eastcoast have history had a "better" relationship with the hispanic population of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans. Not that it's not tense especially around the gang scene but it's not "hispanics vs blacks" it's more like individual gangs made up of primarily Puerto Ricans against gangs primarily made up of blacks, and dominicans, etc. IDK maybe that's a reason to consider?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
To address your question, no doubt a politician will use anything to his advantage (particularly if it involves emotion or fervent belief). However, I don't think all can be blamed on politics. I think we have to recognize, whether we like it or not, that history is a factor as well. Like I said, it would be naive and Pollyanna-ish to think it wouldn't be.
Yes, it hasn't been that long. Back in the late 50's, early 60's I remember visits to relatives in Mississippi as a child. Some horrifying things happened out in the open.

And as recently as 25 years ago walking up a ramp to a high school football game with 2 of my black friends, and meeting a couple of older white women. They nodded their heads and said, girls. Did not look any of us in the eyes. I turned to my friends, they were looking straight ahead. I was shocked and asked them if that happened often, they said yes. I could not wrap my mind around that at all. They KNEW their names, and yet.................