Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Mr. Stewart

Re: My Former A/G Pastor Disappointed w/ My Decisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
It would be my pleasure!

Your father came through right before I left.
He didn't remember meeting me back in 1998, and I guess I didn't expect him to-- but I sure did remember him.
Cut him some slack. He's getting to be an old man and it had been 15 years. LOL. The funny thing is, with him, after your last conversation, he'll probably never forget you now. I don't know how he does it.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Apparently the UPC in some areas have become more tolerable. I spent 2/3 of my time in oneness churches on the west coast and if you expressed anything contrary to the 3-step process you where a marked individual. There have been several comments made on this thread to indicate that some of Jeremy's core beliefs won't be an issue. I personally applaud that but my....things have changed if that be the case. Bro. Epley......it is a slippery slope.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
It will be difficult-- but who agrees with every little thing that every preacher or saint says in every sermon or conversation?
Can you sit under a pastor that teaches that other parts of the body are going to hell? This is not about disagreeing with some parts of teaching or minor parts of doctrine. This is about the plan of salvation.

My wife and I don't agree on every little bit of doctrine and or scripture but where we agree is on what is most important and that is Christ and His shed blood and the faith through grace plan of Salvation.

I think you don't know what you believe.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnman View Post
Apparently the UPC in some areas have become more tolerable. I spent 2/3 of my time in oneness churches on the west coast and if you expressed anything contrary to the 3-step process you where a marked individual. There have been several comments made on this thread to indicate that some of Jeremy's core beliefs won't be an issue. I personally applaud that but my....things have changed if that be the case. Bro. Epley......it is a slippery slope.
Yep that was my experience with the same folks. We know the same people.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Yep that was my experience with the same folks. We know the same people.
Yeah, we have pm'd navygoat. My initial experience was CA. Was in MO for 9 years before going to NWest, OR, WA. Big difference between mid-west churches and west coast. The gap has closed somewhat however.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you sit under a pastor that teaches that other parts of the body are going to hell? This is not about disagreeing with some parts of teaching or minor parts of doctrine. This is about the plan of salvation.

My wife and I don't agree on every little bit of doctrine and or scripture but where we agree is on what is most important and that is Christ and His shed blood and the faith through grace plan of Salvation.

I think you don't know what you believe.
Well on the bolded, I know you are wrong.

Bro, I reached out to you before-- but came back empty handed.

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well on the bolded, I know you are wrong.

Bro, I reached out to you before-- but came back empty handed.

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
Well Jermyn! Your not the first person I left empty handed, but I don't think that you can blame me for your choice to go back.

I would not try to talk you out of going back to a place you have never left or would I beg you to stay.

So you believe in the 3 step plan or you don't. If you don't why are you going back???? You miss them??? Do they shun you???

Kirk Franklin said it like this "Preacher teach me what to do when the tongue is done"

I do wish you the best and I will pray for you!

Last edited by navygoat1998; 04-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Jermyn, have you become dissatisfied with the AG church in any way besides being homesick?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The part of your post I quoted above is one that would be a deal breaker for me when it comes to ever going back.

Of course all of the extra biblical legalism and preztel logic to justify it are also a big deal breaker!

It is gong to be very interesting to see how well German integrates back into that theological / cultural world. My prediction is an initial happiness maybe even euphoria at being back in the fellowship the closed culture provides. Will be interesting to see how long that lasts.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well Jermyn! Your not the first person I left empty handed, but I don't think that you can blame me for your choice to go back.

I would not try to talk you out of going back to a place you have never left or would I beg you to stay.

So you believe in the 3 step plan or you don't. If you don't why are you going back???? You miss them??? Do they shun you???

Kirk Franklin said it like this "Preacher teach me what to do when the tongue is done"

I do wish you the best and I will pray for you!
Not blaming you at all-- not blaming anyone. I don't think I gave the impression that I was blaming you or anyone else.

I said what I said to you, because when we could have spoken and gotten a little closer as we discussed our shared experiences, you didn't respond.

But now that I have made my decision to go back, now I hear from you-- and let it be known that I am glad to communicate with you. It just would have been nice to, well... trust me bro, I am not blaming you, but the dynamics I am witnessing right now are interesting.

To answer your questions.
Your questions are answered from my humble opinion-- I am sure there are others who will disagree.

If a person follows the "3 step plan", they will be saved.
If a person follows the salvation plan as expressed by the A/G, they will be saved. I consider the people in both camps to be my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I am going back because I miss the services, the sermons and the people of my former church.

Two or three friends shunned me from the very beginning. I didn't expect it from them, but I got over it.