Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Re: Another reason NOT to vote for Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consapostolic1 View Post
It would be interesting to see what he can do for our country
Mmmmm.... What can HE (Obama) do that you cannot do for yourself?

Shouldn't the best thing he (any president) do is to simply get out of the way and allow you to be the best you can be?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
would you mind expanding on this?
what are the things you want the next president to do for the country?
I can think of one thing....eliminate war profiteering.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I'd say the only thing that attracts me to a Democrat at this point is the glaring failure of the Republicans. It can't get any worse. The Democrats say they can do better...let's let them try. When you're going down fast you have nothing left to loose really.

Neither side is going to do anything about abortion.
Neither side is going to do anything about civil unions.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherHall View Post
I'd say the only thing that attracts me to a Democrat at this point is the glaring failure of the Republicans. It can't get any worse. The Democrats say they can do better...let's let them try. When you're going down fast you have nothing left to loose really.
Brother, brother, brother, I pray for you. So concerned over what someone makes while electing someone who runs under the banner of pro-abortion and pro same-sex marriages.

18,000 die a year with treatable diseases because they don't have healthcare?

4,000 a day are aborted. You really wish to compare those numbers?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
Brother, brother, brother, I pray for you. So concerned over what someone makes while electing someone who runs under the banner of pro-abortion and pro same-sex marriages.

18,000 die a year with treatable diseases because they don't have healthcare?

4,000 a day are aborted. You really wish to compare those numbers?
Both parties are pro-abortion. Both parties are for civil unions. The only issue is that one party is lying about it and using religion to manipulate good people.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Please show me the plank in the republican platform that supports abortion. Also the one on MARRIAGES between same sex.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

You'll have to prove it to me, brother. I am one of the bitter people in small towns clinging to religion and my guns.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherHall View Post
Both parties are pro-abortion. Both parties are for civil unions. The only issue is that one party is lying about it and using religion to manipulate good people.
Since you can tell they are lying, care to share something useful, like lottery numbers or the day of the rapture?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Abortion rates are higher the closer you get to poverty level. It's directly attached to economic hardship. Sadly our materialistic culture has convinced poor women that having a child is offers too much hardship. It's sick really. But I look at Belgium and I'm bewildered. In Belgium abortion is perfectly legal...but they have the lowest abortion rate in the world, even lower than countries that have outlawed it or have strict regulations on it. Why is that? That's something that I can't shake. I read an article on how in Belgium citizens have universal health care which means that Belgian women faced with a crisis pregancy have healt insurance. They also have government subsidized day care like France. It appears that more Belgian women choose life...because it's easier to raise a family in their society.

The point is...there may be more than one way to skin a cat. Sure...we want to ban abortion. But criminalization doesn't address the issues women in poverty face. Also if it's criminalized...what's the penalty? No court in the land is going to do anything but slap a woman on the wrist and maybe take a doctor's license at most.

The way I see it, don't promise me to ban abortion....I want someone who can reduce the abortion rate. Here's an interesting tid bit...the abortion rate is lower today than it was back before Roe v. Wade. So frankly we have a lower right right now with it being legal than we had when it was illegal. Counter intuitive? Yep. It's strange really.

I see two things that have to be done to reduce the abortion rate. First, preach the Gospel and affirm the value of human life. Second, address the socio-economic hardships of poor women, namely black women. More abortions are procured by minority women than white women. Why? There are more black women in the socio-economic demographic that tends to feel they have to choose abortion.

When it comes to gays marrying....I hate it as much as you do. But both parties support civil unions and more and more CORPORATIONS are offering "domestic partner benefits". Also liberal churches want to marry them and claim it's an issue of religious freedom. That's a lost cause.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChTatum View Post
Please show me the plank in the republican platform that supports abortion. Also the one on MARRIAGES between same sex.
Don't be so simple as to go merely by platform. The CANDIDATES say they're pro-life but nothing ever changes. They always say, "But I respect it as the law of the land."