Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-23-2020, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Re: Chris Reed

It's not about overwhelmed or underwhelmed.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 05-23-2020, 12:22 PM
New User

Reminded me of psychic John Edward.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

I stand by my first impression for now anyway that I thought it was impressive. I have never seen it in that fashion among Apostolics altho its what made Branham famous.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I asked a simple question.

No, tin-foil hat here. Because you are on record saying:

The worst part is that you asked this female poster to think and pray about her oneness position!

An Admin on an Apostolic forum, asking a Oneness person to open up a horizon of new possibilities that they could be wrong.

Astonishing!
Love bears no records of wrong???

But in reality, I didn't ask Amanah to reconsider her Oneness view of the Godhead. I asked her to reconsider the alleged difference in anointing she felt from a Holy-Spirit filled Trinity believing church meeting she was in versus a Holy-Spirit filled Oneness church meeting she was in since such experiences are subjective.

And asking someone to reconsider something isn't a sin, last time I checked, since it behooves us all to reconsider, from time to time, to keep ourselves on our spiritual toes.

Is this what's been sticking in your craw the whole time? You misunderstood and you've had it out for me ever since?

I have never once attempted to convert someone out of Oneness, here, or in my own personal life. I have no plans to ever do so.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 05-23-2020, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I never said or implied what you have in bold.

Jesus was light and darkness has to flee. Very simple. That should be our focus and not all the doubtful negativity, which gets us nowhere and gives us nothing.
You didn't write this?

Quote:
In the Kingdom of God, there is no cancer, no deafness, etc. when you bring Jesus into a situation, anything anti-Kingdom has to leave.
You sure did. People are in the Kingdom of God. These in the Kingdom of God people sometimes get cancer and die from it, or are born deaf, or go deaf and never recover their hearing. They don't get healed, so, by logical conclusion, if they have cancer or are deaf, then they cannot be in the Kingdom of God, because if Jesus had been brought into their situation, their cancer and deafness would have to leave.

But and if, their cancer or deafness doesn't leave, then Jesus isn't in their situation, according to the above, which you posted.

Now, if you'd like to explain it better or clarify it more fully, or show how what you wrote ought not to be understood exactly the way I have done so, or a give us a full-on recantation of your words, then the floor is yours.

Last edited by votivesoul; 05-24-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So, yes, every person I have prayed for has received healing. Why? Because I don’t lay hands on or pray for a person unless God tells me to.
Sister, I sincerely hope for your sake you are telling the truth.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No, I am simply sharing my personal experience. There are others being ministered to besides me in the room. Everyone wasn’t being healed by Paul alone.
On the island of Malta they were:

Acts 28:8-9,

8 And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.
9 So when this was done, others also, which had diseases in the island, came, and were healed...

Old 05-24-2020, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
...And that movement is seriously a problem. There is the teaching that everyone should literally prophesy. And that is not what was stated in 1 Cor 14.
Exactly. Massive abuse. But such abuses happen in other movements, too.

Last edited by votivesoul; 05-24-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
But the same instance is found in 14:1 and 14: 12 and the word GIFTS is in italics, not in the Greek, and it would not make sense to not be speaking about the gifts, because of context in chapter 13, and the rest of 14.

1 Cor 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

1 Cor 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

1 Cor 14: 12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
The Greek for "desire" in 1 Corinthians 14:1 is ζηλοῦτε or zeloute, from the Greek word zelos, that is to say, our word "zealous". In 1 Corinthians 14:12, we see the word zealous, from ζηλωταί, or zelotai, from zelos as well, but note a difference:

In 1 Corinthians 14:1, zeloute is a verb. In 1 Corinthians 14:12, zelotai is a noun.

Also in 1 Corinthians 14:1, prior to spiritual, or pneumatika (an adjective not a noun), we have the definite article τὰ or ta indicating the English word "the".

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_corinthians/14-1.htm

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_c...ians/14-12.htm

So, Paul wants the Corinthians to be zealous of or for the spiritual ______.

What should go in the blank? The word "gifts"? I don't think so. He had already established in 1 Corinthians 12:1 that he is writing about spiritual brethren, as I showed before.

So, in 1 Corinthians 14:1, Paul is writing something like this:

Be zealous of/for the spiritual [ones], referring back to the spiritual (remember in the text that pneumatika is an adjective, just like spiritual is in this sentence) brethren gifted by the Holy Spirit, understanding his use of zealous to be jealous of (in a good sense), as Thayer has it:

"in a good sense, to imitate emulously".

https://biblehub.com/greek/2206.htm

So, Paul is encouraging the congregation of the Corinthians to pay close attention to the charismatically gifted members of their church and to imitate them, particularly, I would say, in their level of devotion and sincerity to Christ, and so, become spiritual as well (as opposed to being carnal, the main problem in Corinth, as we know) and so, by jealously imitating these spiritual brethren, they might grow and mature and become spiritual as well, and so, be likewise endowed by the power of the Spirit with charismata.

In this way, the purpose of 1 Corinthians 1:5-7 could be achieved and the Corinthians really would not come behind anyone else in the charismata of the Spirit.

Now, as it pertains to 1 Corinthians 14:12, remember that zelotai is not a verb, but a noun.

The verse begins with Οὕτως or Houtos and, as an adverb, means "thus so, in this manner".

https://biblehub.com/greek/3779.htm

In what manner does Paul mean or refer? He is building his case from the verses previously written, particularly the idea that the church should be edified through prophecy, as opposed to a single member personally edified through tongues, and that speaking loudly in tongues makes someone sound like a "barbarian" to anyone who can't understand the language.

He wants them to become zealous people (nouns, that is) who are warmly affectionate toward and desiring to imitate, the spiritual brethren in the church, so that, by so doing (from houtos) they too could edify the whole church and not just themselves.

This passage is a call to maturity, to move on from carnal simplicity to spiritual complexity, that the whole church would emulate their leaders who have been endowed by the Spirit with charismata so that the church and the world at large around them can be and become even more blessed and fruitful, to the point that all the members might one day prophesy in turn when an unbeliever is in attendance and so have the secrets of his or her heart revealed by the Lord and so, fall upon his or her face and confess that God is truly in the saints of Corinth.

What this teaches us then, is that, as we already know, Corinth was a carnal mess, full of heresy, factions, and other forms of unrighteousness. But not everyone was that way. The household of Chloe, who reported the problems to Paul, for instance. Stephanus, as well. There were some leaders in Corinth whose ships were sailing well, but a lot of work needed to be done for the rest of the Body.

Paul's teaching then in 1 Corinthians 12-14 shows us that many of the saints in Corinth were not spiritual and had not been endowed with any charismata, and likely never would be unless and until they got their heads on straight and learned to submit themselves to the commandments of the Lord. One way of doing that was to be zealous for their spiritual brethren, the example setters, those apostles, and prophets, and teachers, and etc., who God was using regularly in the gifts of the Spirit.

So, the gifts are in a sense, for everyone in the Body, but they aren't randomly or promiscuously handed out to just anyone just because somebody received the Holy Spirit and was baptized. There is a method to them. A growing up that needs to be accomplished. They aren't just given, they are entrusted. God is a God of decency and order and expects His gifts to be administered and operated accordingly. So, those who use them well and righteously are to be admired and appreciated and learned from, even emulated, in their walk with God, so that what they have been given might be given again, when the time is right and the next up and coming person is ready.

Last edited by votivesoul; 05-24-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Votivesoul, just wondering. Do you believe all 120 spoke in tongues in Acts 2, or just the twelve?
All 120 as far as I can tell, but there are compelling arguments for both views.