Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Re: UPC Resolution to Remove TV from Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
ha! you should listen to me more! you might get saved! LOLOLOL!!!

J/K
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
My Family!

Quote:
ha! you should listen to me more! you might get saved! LOLOLOL!!!

J/K
Or maybe you're coming around to think like us moderate folks!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Or maybe you're coming around to think like us moderate folks!
ha! I started off right in the middle and I havent moved an inch....
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I am safe in the middle.... it takes the left and the right wing fluttering around to define where I am!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
My Family!

Quote:
ha! I started off right in the middle and I havent moved an inch....
Yep, I know.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Here is my history on TV.

I went to a church growing up that was moderate.

I remember quite vividly the preacher one day talking about television. THis was in the late 70s. He said, i know a lot of you have TVs and I am not going to ever make an issue of that. But I want to say some things on the subject. There are some good things and there are some things that just are not good.

If you are going to watch TV, you need to know there are some things that just are not good for your mind and heart and walk with God. Just because it is on, doesnt mean you should watch it.

He went futher and said he suggested that we not watch two shows, 3's Company and Sanford and Son. He gave solid reason, first 3C has men and women not married, but living together. (remember this was the 70's and not today) and Sanford and son had a charactor who was sacreligious.

It wasnt so much "dont watch these shows" as it was "this is the kind of thing you need to look for".

This has always been the guide my family has used. it was sound teaching and not some "touch not" stuff that leads to people incapable of making sound decisions.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Here is my history on TV...

Raised without it. Watched some shows since then - but never really had TV that was "hooked up".

I would miss the internet MUCH more than TV... I rarely find anything entertaining even when around TV for days on end.

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is my history on TV.

I went to a church growing up that was moderate.

I remember quite vividly the preacher one day talking about television. THis was in the late 70s. He said, i know a lot of you have TVs and I am not going to ever make an issue of that. But I want to say some things on the subject. There are some good things and there are some things that just are not good.

If you are going to watch TV, you need to know there are some things that just are not good for your mind and heart and walk with God. Just because it is on, doesnt mean you should watch it.

He went futher and said he suggested that we not watch two shows, 3's Company and Sanford and Son. He gave solid reason, first 3C has men and women not married, but living together. (remember this was the 70's and not today) and Sanford and son had a charactor who was sacreligious.

It wasnt so much "dont watch these shows" as it was "this is the kind of thing you need to look for".

This has always been the guide my family has used. it was sound teaching and not some "touch not" stuff that leads to people incapable of making sound decisions.
Wow. I wish that had been the kind of teaching we had gotten.

We still don't have TV. I don't see a need or reason for one. My sister and her husband don't have one either and they are Buddhists.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Here is my history on TV...

Raised without it. Watched some shows since then - but never really had TV that was "hooked up".

I would miss the internet MUCH more than TV... I rarely find anything entertaining even when around TV for days on end.
That's where we are. No "hooked up" TV. No point in it. We watch videos on a pretty regular basis. When we go to a hotel and watch TV, there are so many commercials, it can drive you nuts. What a waste of time! We are all internet nuts though.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
That's where we are. No "hooked up" TV. No point in it. We watch videos on a pretty regular basis. When we go to a hotel and watch TV, there are so many commercials, it can drive you nuts. What a waste of time! We are all internet nuts though.