Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > The Shopping Mall
Facebook

Notices

The Shopping Mall Find a great deal online? Share it here... Also the place to find links for consumer help sites, etc ...

Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Re: The Skirt Thread - obviously for the ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
I don't have any skirts other than jeanskirts. That's all I wore as a BDW. So it's difficult for me to get out of that mentality and believe that I might look good in a nice dress skirt.

I bought a nice, petite-looking shirt from WalMart the other day and tried it on when I got home.

Well, it's obvious that I'm not petite, in spite of people telling me that I'm getting thinner and thinner.

Liars!! LOL!
ROFL!!!! H1, don't give up. Rule #1: Don't shop for clothes at Wal-Mart. You're better off saving your money and splurging on a NICE skirt from Macy's, Coldwater Creek, JJill, Steinmart or Dillards than to spend the same amount on 10 cheaply tailored..things.

Now listen to me, I haven't seen you in awhile, but just off the top of my head, you need to go with something just below the knees, straight (not pencil, e.g., tapered), and make sure it fits the hips and falls straight (doesn't hug). I have a problem finding skirts that fit both my hips and my waist--so I usually have to buy straight skirts a size up, and nip in the waist. And skip the elastic waists. Buy something that fits, and if it doesn't fit exactly, tailor it or have it tailored.

I like what Stacy off of WNTW says--fit the biggest part of you first, and then have the rest tailored to fit. That's a very good rule of thumb. And try on several different sizes in the same skirt. You're also really tall, so you can get away with really long skirts. I like ultra-long skirts, but they swallow me whole. I wear them anyway...sometimes, and I FEEL comfortable, but DON'T look my best.

1 good quality black, gray or navy skirt will last me several years. 1 Wal-Mart skirt will be in the Goodwill box within 6 months.

Would you just fly down here and let me take you shopping? I will have you trying on the entire store.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I do what's right in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
ROFL!!!! H1, don't give up. Rule #1: Don't shop for clothes at Wal-Mart. You're better off saving your money and splurging on a NICE skirt from Macy's, Coldwater Creek, JJill, Steinmart or Dillards than to spend the same amount on 10 cheaply tailored..things.

Now listen to me, I haven't seen you in awhile, but just off the top of my head, you need to go with something just below the knees, straight (not pencil, e.g., tapered), and make sure it fits the hips and falls straight (doesn't hug). I have a problem finding skirts that fit both my hips and my waist--so I usually have to buy straight skirts a size up, and nip in the waist. And skip the elastic waists. Buy something that fits, and if it doesn't fit exactly, tailor it or have it tailored.

I like what Stacy off of WNTW says--fit the biggest part of you first, and then have the rest tailored to fit. That's a very good rule of thumb. And try on several different sizes in the same skirt. You're also really tall, so you can get away with really long skirts. I like ultra-long skirts, but they swallow me whole. I wear them anyway...sometimes, and I FEEL comfortable, but DON'T look my best.

1 good quality black, gray or navy skirt will last me several years. 1 Wal-Mart skirt will be in the Goodwill box within 6 months.

Would you just fly down here and let me take you shopping? I will have you trying on the entire store.
Oh My word, I just totally had a Chax flash back!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Own Eyes View Post
BDW? I can think of several funny meanings, but can't figure out the real one
Blue denim whale!!! LOL!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I miss her.

I DO love to shop.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Oh my! I can just imagine that shopping trip!

And with the way I can spend money (when I have it), I'll buy the entire store!! LOL!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
ROFL!

Where is that girl anyway?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 AM
sallyjo76

I love 1, 2 and 4.

For really neat denim skirts try Style J at www.denimskirts.com
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
VERY cute skirts found HERE!

I love this one -

Attachment 884
Nice website, Abigail.

I only really liked three skirts, for me. Can't post the images 'cause their belly buttons are showing!!!!!!

On page 3 - Joyce Skirt in Charcoal
Page 4 - Jasmine Skirt in Midnight Wool
Page 5 - Tina Pencil Skirt
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
I really like Coldwater Creek. Our six adult children keep me

in gift cards between Mother's Day, my birthday and Christmas.

They go together and buy one per occasion. I have very smart

adult children! My husband of almost 49 yrs. keeps me in Donna

Carin Cashmere Mist.

There are NEEDS they cannot possibly supply! But I know a GOD

WHO CAN!!! I am so blessed!!!

Thankful,

Falla39
WOW! What a blessing - gift cards at ColdWater Creek!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeAimee View Post
Jean Skirt Wearing Women of the World, Unite!
http://lilshabbychic.blogspot.com/
AimeeAimee, honey child - uh - NO!