Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Tithing…Is it a command?

It amazes me how many Christians try to marginalize the tithe. I have even seen post where people have posed the question, “Can you show me that tithing is a command of God.” Why yes, I could probably give dozens.

In this post I will state why I believe that the tithe is a command of God, I would be interested in a scriptural basis of why the tithe is an optional concept.

First of all the most commonly used scriptures on tithes:

Mal 3:7-8
7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Through the Prophet Malachi God tells His people to return to Him and He would return to them. Then the question is posed, “How do we return to you?” The answer, “In tithes and offerings.” It would be my guess that they didn't return to Him since they entered into the dark years.

How can we rob God in tithes? Either we knock off the usher as he carries the plate to the back room and steal all the tithes or we keep what God has declared as His. If the latter is true then the tithe does not become the tithe when it is given, but becomes the tithe when you increase.

Throughout the Old Testament we see God saying that the tithe is holy, it is His, and that we are not to touch it. The tithe is a tenth. Therefore, the reality is .90 cents is yours out of $1.00. It is not your dollar that you are going to give God a dime. The dime is His when you get the dollar. You steal it by not returning to Him what is His.

I have also heard people say that they tithe 5% and I have heard people say that they tithe 20%. Both are incorrect because a tithe is a tenth. Anything over a tenth is an offering and anything less than a tenth, well I guess is an offering also.

In the NT Hebrews 7 deals with the tithe:

Heb 7:1-5
1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him,
2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated "king of righteousness," and then also king of Salem, meaning "king of peace,"
3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually.
4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils.
5 And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham; (NKJ)

Who receive the priesthood in the NT? What is termed the five-hold. They have a command to receive the tithes from the people according to the law.

Why do people try to say tithing is OT when prayer, fasting, and worship were all OT activities also?

Why do people try to say that tithing was under the law when it precedes the law going back to Cain, Able, Abraham and Isaac?

Why do people marginalize Jesus saying, “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.”

Why do people try to make Hebrews 7 some kind of OT rehashing, when in fact the only place the tithe was fully explained was during the time of the giving of the law and it has never changed? The tithe is received according to the law, not under the law.

I am sure any here that would disagree with me would be different than my experiences, but I have only seen people who are tight with money or who want to spend money on themselves try and make an argument that tithe is not a command.

I wish it were possible to know the percentage of gross income given in 2007 by any who would try and say the tithe is not a command, and it would be interesting to also know how much they were in debt (people who fight giving principles are typically heavy in debt). I know that would be impossible, but it would be very interesting.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Saved by Grace

Re: Tithing…Is it a command?

I know this thread will be much debated, so i will be quick for now.
The tithe was part of the law of moses which was fulfilled and done away with at the cross.(Matthew 5 and Hebrews 7) It was a national law (like the sabbath) for the israelites and was never money, unless 20% was added to it.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I know this thread will be much debated, so i will be quick for now.
The tithe was part of the law of moses which was fulfilled and done away with at the cross.(Matthew 5 and Hebrews 7) It was a national law (like the sabbath) for the israelites and was never money, unless 20% was added to it.
(Heb 7:1) For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
(Heb 7:2) To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
(Heb 7:3) Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
(Heb 7:4) Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

(Mat 23:23) Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Tithing didn't start under the law, it started in Genesis.

If you are Abraham's seed you will also pay tithes just like he did!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Holy Unto The Lord

The Lie Of The Tithe
Fleecing The Flock Of God By Deception
By: Bill Price

One of the most widespread beliefs within Christianity today is that of tithing. It is the doctrine that a person must give the first 10% of their income to the Church in order to remain in the blessings and favor of God. You hear this taught from pulpits around the country, by televangelists, and from financial seminars. It is a teaching of fear and torment that has bound the Body of Christ for almost 16 centuries now. It has believers believing that if they do not tithe their income, they are cursed. They believe God will in some manner strike them down if they do not pay their tithe. This is what many would call an extortion racquet, and it has been a prevailing teaching in the Church for too long.

The truth is, tithing as we know it today, is unscriptural and contrary to the New Covenant of Jesus Christ. It is an invention of the 4th century Roman Catholic Church that was brought over to the Protestant movement, and was then brought from there to the Pentecostal movement. It was not ever taught or spoken of as a law for the believer anywhere in the New Testament, and is not in effect in the Church today, despite what some teach from behind the pulpit. The tithing doctrine is a deception, is a lie, and is a source of bondage for far too many believers. It is a disgrace for the Church to continue this horrible lie, because it is anti-Christ, anti-New Covenant, and anti-Cross in nature.

THE SOURCE OF THE BIBLICAL TITHE

Biblical tithing can only be found in the Old Testament, in the Law. And even there, it is not taught as it is taught in the Church today. In fact, the tithe that we find in the Bible is completely and totally different than that we have been taught in the Church, as is the application of the tithe.

"You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. And before the LORD your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always. {Deuteronomy 14:22-23}

What we see here is the tithe is not monetary in nature, and never was. The tithe was agricultural in nature, meaning it was involving food, not money. The tithe was to be set aside to be eaten in Jerusalem at the Temple. It was not to be just brought up to the priests, but was to be eaten before the Lord. The Lord designed this as a celebration before Him of His goodness to the people of Israel. The tithe was not some financial gain that was to be given to the Temple, but was a feast to be eaten before the Lord.

This rolls contrary to modern tithing teachers. They teach that Israel brought all their tithes before the Lord and left them there at the Temple. They do not teach that the tithe was eaten before the Lord. But, these scriptures make clear that the tithe was eaten before the Lord, and was shared for the priest’s needs.

And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the LORD your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the LORD your God chooses, to set his name there, then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the LORD your God chooses and spend the money for whatever you desire--oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household. And you shall not neglect the Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you. {Deuteronomy 14:24-27}

The above scripture brings forth another point. The Lord ordained that if the distance to carry the tithe is too far to travel with it, then the tithe could be sold, and the money brought to Jerusalem. There, the money would be used to purchase that which the individual desired, and the tithe would be eaten there at Jerusalem in that manner. The money of the tithe was not given to the Temple, but instead was turned into food and drink, and enjoyed at the Temple.

Both of the above scriptures show that the tithe was never monetary giving to the Temple, but was a feast brought to the Temple, shared with the priests, and ate before the Lord. Most modern tithe teachers never once teach this, but teach the giving of money. This seems to contradict what the scriptures say.

THE SOURCE OF MODERN TITHE TEACHING

The modern tithe teaching clearly is not based out of the tithe taught in the Bible. So where did the tithe come from? The answer lies in church history.

The Catholic Church had been run on what we will see later as the New Covenant giving, which is spontaneous and heart led giving. However, the church grew and needed funds to build the lavish cathedrals and sanctuaries that we see standing even today. The church decided to begin an ‘adaptation’ of tithing, by making all members of the church give the first 10% of their income to the church. This became the law of the Catholic Church through the gathering of the bishops at Tours in 567, and the Council of Macon in 585.

From that point on, those who were members of the Catholic Church were required to pay this tax of belief. Men and women would scrounge and claw to pay this mandatory tax to the Church. This process was passed on to the Protestant Churches during the Reformation and Martin Luther, though Luther himself taught against tithing as mandatory, and considered it a tax.

When we look at the modern prosperity doctrine, we see the same thinking as we see in the Catholic Church in the 5th century. Churches are teaching the tithe as mandatory, some even teaching it as a salvation issue. All one has to do is hear the pastor teach/preach on the tithe to see how serious modern preachers continue this early deception and tax on the believers.

When I was a part of the legalist church, I came against tithing initially, and was booted out of one fellowship because I called a certain elder to the floor about tithing. When I did, another preacher came forward and said that unless I was a pastor, I would not know why the tithe is taught. In other words, this pastor advocated lying to the people, putting them in bondage, and cursing them if they did not pay to have the lavish churches many have today. He did not care if it was true or not, so long as his pockets and the churches pockets were well lined. This is what the tithe is today, and it all started in the Catholic Church in the 5th century. They knew it was a lie then, and modern pastors know it is a lie now.

USING MALACHI 3 TO FLEECE THE FLOCKS OF GOD

One of the best used methods that men use to fleece the believers is a perverting of the Cross. They will use Malachi 3, and say that if one does not tithe, one is cursed with a curse. The scriptures they use, though, betray our faith in Christ and make us in bondage to a law not found even within the pages of scripture.

Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, 'How have we robbed you?' In your tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the LORD of hosts. {Malachi 3:8-11}

This is the above scripture used to brow beat believers into tithing 10% off of their income. Yet, as I said, this scripture betrays those who use it. When we read it, we see it comes into alignment with Deuteronomy 14. The people were to bring their agricultural goods to the storehouse, so that the priests would be taken care of. The people were to continue to eat the tithe before the Lord, but they were also to provide, from their food, portion to the priests.

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them." Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for "The righteous shall live by faith." But the law is not of faith, rather "The one who does them shall live by them." Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us--for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"-- so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith. {Galatians 3:10-14}

The curse was that of the Law. For modern preachers to proclaim a curse that was under the law on those who do not pay the ecclesiastical tax we know as tithing tramples underfoot the precious blood of Jesus Christ, and brings them back under the curse of the Law. Christ is no more of avail to them, because they have sought to bring a curse from the Law to the New Covenant. Yet, as I also have said, the tithe of modern churches is not even found in the Law. These are fleecing the flock in fear, and bringing upon themselves the curse of the Law.

(CONTINUED)
Old 03-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Holy Unto The Lord

THE PRIESTS HAVE BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS

In the modern church, the tithe is shown as part of a Pharisaical spirit, judging men regardless of what the scriptures proclaim. And this is done in the name of men’s traditions and practices, such as was condemned by Christ.

And he said to them, "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, "'This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men." And he said to them, "You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition! {Mark 7:6-9}

Those who continue to proclaim the tithe are hypocrites, in that they trample underfoot the shed blood of Christ. They make the church a business, and not a fellowship. When I spoke to one person about the church being treated as a business, that pastor agreed it was a business. The Church is not a business. It is the Body of Christ. It is a gathering of those who have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior, and decided to abide with Him and in Him. It is not a profit making machine, and this is where the priests have blood on their hands.

They teach the traditions of men as the commandments of God. In other words, they lie to make their beliefs seem right. They pervert the scriptures to say that one must give 10% of their income. This is a bloody deception, because it brings Christ’s blood upon them.

THE NEW COVENANT TEACHING OF GIVING

The New Covenant teaches us how to give unto the Lord, not tithe by commandment. Paul teaches us well about giving in his epistle to the Corinthians.

The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. {2 Corinthians 9:6-7}

Paul is teaching us that whoever gives, must do so out of a cheerful and willing heart. Paul does not teach a set amount, but does tell us that we get out of our giving what we put into it. This is so contrary to the modern financial ministries who teach tithing as mandatory and a salvation issue. The Catholic Encyclopedia also records that the early church did not give a tithe, but gave cheerfully and willingly. And, through their giving, the known world of that time was reached with the Gospel.

The New Covenant does not teach one time compulsory giving of a tax on belief, which is what the tithe is. Instead, as with all within the Church, the New Covenant teaches that all should be done willingly and out of a cheerful heart. This is how a believer should live and give; not because they have to, but because they want to.

CONCLUSION OF THE MATTER

The conclusion of the whole matter is simply this. The tithe teaching we know today is a lie. It is a perversion of scripture began in the 5th century, and is continued today as a salvation issue wrongly in the Church. It is a grand deception to rob from the poor and make fat the wallets of those greedy after filthy lucre within the Church. Those who preach anything other than willful and cheerful giving teach damnation to themselves, in that they seek to bring a lie to the Church.

If you have been living in fear over tithing, stop! You will not be cursed with a curse if you cannot pay your tithe down to the last penny. Christ became our curse. Now, we can give as we are led and as we determine within ourselves, and we can willfully exceed our old way of giving. This is the liberty we have in Christ, and keep us in the shadow of the Cross.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

The law was changed,we have a greater commandment.We are to give all we can.

What was the change?

Acts4:32: And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
33: And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
34: Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35: And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need

Eph.4:28: Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Acts20:35: I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Rom.12:17: Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18: If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19: Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20: Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21: Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Math.19:16: And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18: He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19: Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20: The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21: Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me

Luke12:16: And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18: And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19: And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20: But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21: So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
22: And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
23: The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
24: Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
25: And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?
26: If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
27: Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28: If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
29: And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30: For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31: But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
32: Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33: Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
34: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also

Heb.7:11: If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12: For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law

Acts2:44: And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45: And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need

1 Tim.5: Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.6: But godliness with contentment is great gain.

7: For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.8: And having food and raiment let us be therewith content

Math.6:19: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

1 Tim.6:17] Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;[18] That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;[19] Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life
Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

In my knowledge of pastor''s and their saints.

We would all be shocked by the % of folks who actually pay their tithes.

It is very low for what most might think....

I believe it is the main driving reason behind the extra income ventures that many churches have started.

Many have a hard time knowing that many more folks know how much is given by individuals.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

i personally believe the principle of tithing and practice it, i would not condemn someone else for not doing that, just pray for them, but then again i dont condemn people anyway, that is the devils job, i aint him, lol,dt
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

The fleecing of the flock mentality has been around for awhile From my experience it is promoted by those who don't give into the Kingdom.

To me the proof is in the pudding. In our church, I am part of the financial area and see who gives, how much, and so forth. It is without doubt or controversy that those who have the most problems, financially and physically are those who don't tithe. They give...as they can, but they don't tithe.

The tithe is not a fleece it is a release. Luke 6:38...give and it will come back to you. This is a biblical principle that the world understands better than the church.
  • We will give 40 hours to receive a paycheck
  • We will give into an investment in hopes of a return
  • We will give of ourselves into a marriage for the return of a family

Yet Christians think it is cultish, control, trying to get money out of the pockets of the poor to give what God has said.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
but made himself of no reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryseeker View Post
The fleecing of the flock mentality has been around for awhile From my experience it is promoted by those who don't give into the Kingdom.

To me the proof is in the pudding. In our church, I am part of the financial area and see who gives, how much, and so forth. It is without doubt or controversy that those who have the most problems, financially and physically are those who don't tithe. They give...as they can, but they don't tithe.

The tithe is not a fleece it is a release. Luke 6:38...give and it will come back to you. This is a biblical principle that the world understands better than the church.
  • We will give 40 hours to receive a paycheck
  • We will give into an investment in hopes of a return
  • We will give of ourselves into a marriage for the return of a family

Yet Christians think it is cultish, control, trying to get money out of the pockets of the poor to give what God has said.
I think most everyone would say that "giving is a God design" thing. The point being re-examined is the presumption that a central treasury administrates a general population's giving for use, aka, 're-gifting' according to the treasury administrator's will.

How much experience involving our thoughts and examination with how the Spirit can lead in all truth, is never learned. When folks, through obedience to a mandate, bring their tithe and offering to a group's central treasury, they are more often following a tradition than a leading by the Spirit of God.

We are expected to be cheerful givers of what we have received. Does someone's perceived calling to build a cathedral with extensive human services staff, mandate the manner in which my cheerful giving should be made? Does God speak to individuals concerning their giving or does God only speak to treasury administrators concerning the use of money?

IMO, giving money is not the core issue. The experience of how we participate in the entire process of receiving and giving that reveals the issues of the heart. Money is a mammon thing that has an extraordinary amount of potential transactions that can serve to train us in the way we should go. We should not do anything that denies this omnipresent opportunity to learn about following God's leading.

If we do not grow in wisdom, we will remain babes in Christ.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath [James 1:19]