Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

emotional help

Hi, I am new here, and would like to have prayer for and maybe even discuss some stuff.

I have had the Holy Ghost for 28 yrs. I am struggling with sin, with insecurity, with selfishness, and with pain of loosing a friend.

There is a lot more that I am not sure I want to share on here just yet. I feel like a complicated mess.

I feel alone, I have heard how to pray through all this and plea the blood, for many years...but the more I do the more I seem to fall further from God.

Love, anger, resentment, peace, I think... are all choices, and we are conditioned by our own choices to be habitual in our lifestyles that foster either anger, resentment, fear, or even love.

What do you think? anyone ever feel the same?

thanks for reading...
Old 10-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Banned

Re: emotional help

i'm struck by how your post essentially contains the answer to the things we all struggle with, i think. While the pain of losing a friend is an individual experience, and the steps for grieving should not be ignored, even it may be included in the struggle with sin, insecurity, and selfishness, as your friend has returned to God, and is surely much happier now.

So, the best answer for these struggles, although it reads as trite, is possibly to stop struggling with them, and shift your focus. What are you grateful for? If you are working to repent from sin, you have forgiveness; even if you have to repent 7 times a day. If you are insecure about something, see that these insecurities are usually reflected by your desires, and God has fed and clothed you to this point. And selfishness is probably a component in your insecurities, as it is with most of us. Are you seeking security in the world, the most materially comfortable existence you can have now; or do you seek God's peace, which is usually the opposite?

I have found that regardless of where one is in their walk, peace and joy are choices that must be sought every day. Invariably we find them in a brief moment, and then lose them in pursuing our daily existence, working for the things that God has promised to provide anyway, more abundantly. Perhaps detailing all that you are thankful for--even the little things--a couple times a day, morning and evening, say, might put these struggles into recession.

Praying God's will for you.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:46 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
i'm struck by how your post essentially contains the answer to the things we all struggle with, i think. While the pain of losing a friend is an individual experience, and the steps for grieving should not be ignored, even it may be included in the struggle with sin, insecurity, and selfishness, as your friend has returned to God, and is surely much happier now.

So, the best answer for these struggles, although it reads as trite, is possibly to stop struggling with them, and shift your focus. What are you grateful for? If you are working to repent from sin, you have forgiveness; even if you have to repent 7 times a day. If you are insecure about something, see that these insecurities are usually reflected by your desires, and God has fed and clothed you to this point. And selfishness is probably a component in your insecurities, as it is with most of us. Are you seeking security in the world, the most materially comfortable existence you can have now; or do you seek God's peace, which is usually the opposite?

I have found that regardless of where one is in their walk, peace and joy are choices that must be sought every day. Invariably we find them in a brief moment, and then lose them in pursuing our daily existence, working for the things that God has promised to provide anyway, more abundantly. Perhaps detailing all that you are thankful for--even the little things--a couple times a day, morning and evening, say, might put these struggles into recession.

Praying God's will for you.
Excellent Shazeep!

I am thinking of the verse "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus"... how did Jesus view persecution, problems, difficulties, friends turning against Him, the cross? There is an understanding here, if you can find it, that will help you through the difficult moments of life. We were never promised no difficulties, no sorrows, no temptations, but what we were promised is the peace that passes understanding in the midst of those times. Seek the peace of God, as Shazeep said... and understand that difficulties, sorrows and times of trouble are inherently part of human life and nature... but greater is HE that is in us than He that is in the world.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Banned

amen to that. And when i (invariably) begin thinking that somehow it just isn't enough, and i have to ask myself what else it is that i really need...

although i'm not suggesting that that is where you are at right now, of course. Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Shazeep...that is well spoken and received...

Kept by the word...I quote that verse often to myself...

The strongholds of my mind are by choice...and I need to arrest those thoughts. I know fasting...crucifying the flesh is the answer. I guess its the struggle that seems more relentless as time goes on. The 'good that I would' like Paul isn't as appealing as the sin which I hate that 'I do'. I surely don't hate it during the act...but the regret and hopelessness that follows is worse each time...to the point where I am numb and even apathetic...and would rather wallow in the hurt than work harder to enjoy repentance and the holy things...

I sound twisted...confused...and even double-tongued...but I don't know if this is my flesh...an oppressing devil...both or if I am making excuses.

maybe even a little crazy...funny how I can give the advice I need...but not listen myself...

as far as my friend...that is another complicated mess...he was baptized in Jesus' name...but a beautiful woman...who is far from God...has captured his attention...we were like brothers...funny...I have no family (naturally) and the one buddy I get...is taken away too...then I think did I make him an idol?

I need to turn my mind off and just accept the lot the Lord has for me...whatever that may be...definitely easier said than done
Old 10-08-2015, 02:56 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbon View Post
Shazeep...that is well spoken and received...

Kept by the word...I quote that verse often to myself...

The strongholds of my mind are by choice...and I need to arrest those thoughts. I know fasting...crucifying the flesh is the answer. I guess its the struggle that seems more relentless as time goes on. The 'good that I would' like Paul isn't as appealing as the sin which I hate that 'I do'. I surely don't hate it during the act...but the regret and hopelessness that follows is worse each time...to the point where I am numb and even apathetic...and would rather wallow in the hurt than work harder to enjoy repentance and the holy things...

I sound twisted...confused...and even double-tongued...but I don't know if this is my flesh...an oppressing devil...both or if I am making excuses.

maybe even a little crazy...funny how I can give the advice I need...but not listen myself...

as far as my friend...that is another complicated mess...he was baptized in Jesus' name...but a beautiful woman...who is far from God...has captured his attention...we were like brothers...funny...I have no family (naturally) and the one buddy I get...is taken away too...then I think did I make him an idol?

I need to turn my mind off and just accept the lot the Lord has for me...whatever that may be...definitely easier said than done
I do understand that it is much easier to "talk the talk, than to walk the walk". Books upon books upon books have been written on how to live a holy life, in spite of the rotten human vessel we are. Honestly, there is really no easy answer, but you already know that, and like you said, you "know" the right answers, but find it harder to put them into practice.

Perhaps start out with something very small that you struggle with, maybe a food item, or something that you enjoy. You can pray about it, and see if the Lord brings something to mind. Then, take a time away from that thing, and continue to give it to the Lord. It is a small thing, but perhaps could be a way to teach yourself the discipline you need to say no to the bigger things.

The idea is to start with something small, and work at it, instead of chomping away at the "big" things that seem to get you nowhere.

Look at how you discipline yourself in your daily prayer life, and walk with the Lord, and in other areas of your life. Ask the Lord to show you how He can help you overcome, and be obedient, as much as is possible.

I believe that if you start with the small stuff, and work away at it, the work of discipline will soon carry over into other areas of your life, and help you to break loose from the chains that pull you back into areas of bondage.

Will certainly be praying for you!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

great advice...will take one step at a time...I feel like an emotional wreck...its amazing what you know to do...but are to...______________....to do it (fill in the blank)
Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Banned

ya, that describes it pretty well. It is generally when we quit striving, and give something up for lost that God seems to be able to work in us again.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:01 PM
of 9!! :)

Hello Dbon and welcome!
I think we've all been where you are at some
point in our walk with God. Don't give up.
Praying with you!
Old 10-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbon View Post
great advice...will take one step at a time...I feel like an emotional wreck...its amazing what you know to do...but are to...______________....to do it (fill in the blank)

Dbon, the ONLY thing that can set you back on track is the thing that put you on track in the first place....that is.....

To pray through the Holy Ghost like you did the first time.

Then do it again, and again, and again......

You will find JOY UNSPEAKABLE, and will just let the world pass you by......

It is awesome.

Just do it immediately....the Holy Ghost is inside of you, desirous to manifest itself on the outer man.

Dont ask the Holy Ghost to fall on you....It is trapped in you and wanting to be released in a big way!!!

Last edited by Sean; 10-10-2015 at 04:11 PM.