Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Philippians 4

Homeschool Curriculum Reviews

So it seems we have lots of homeschool families on here. I was wondering what curriculums you may have used in the past; which ones you liked and which ones you didn't.

We tried Alpha Omega LifePacs the begining of this school year and hated them. We were bored to death. This year we have focused on Phonics and Reading. I've bought different readers thru Amazon.com and used ClickandRead.com. Also we've focused alot on our addition and subtraction facts and used Spectrum Workbooks for extra practice. When I introduced fractions, "Key to Fractions" worked well. An inexpensive workbook call "A Complete Workbook on Maps and Geography" has worked very well for my
2nd grader, he loves that book.

Next year I'm looking into:

Saxon Math
BJU English
Apoligia Science

Has anyone tried any of these?

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 04-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Re: Homeschool Curriculum Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
So it seems we have lots of homeschool families on here. I was wondering what curriculums you may have used in the past; which ones you liked and which ones you didn't.

We tried Alpha Omega LifePacs the begining of this school year and hated them. We were bored to death. This year we have focused on Phonics and Reading. I've bought different readers thru Amazon.com and used ClickandRead.com. Also we've focused alot on our addition and subtraction facts and used Spectrum Workbooks for extra practice. When I introduced fractions, "Key to Fractions" worked well. An inexpensive workbook call "A Complete Workbook on Maps and Geography" has worked very well for my
2nd grader, he loves that book.

Next year I'm looking into:

Saxon Math
BJU English
Apoligia Science

Has anyone tried any of these?

Hi Darcie.

I've home schooled for 13 years. I've used Saxon Math with all of my children.
IMO It is an excellent program. Each lesson builds off of the former lessons, which I like a lot. (More importantly, my kids like the books). I do implement a lot of worksheets in with the Saxon text for extra practice.

BTW I don't like the lifepacs either.

Sinatra
Old 04-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
Hi Darcie.

I've home schooled for 13 years. I've used Saxon Math with all of my children.
IMO It is an excellent program. Each lesson builds off of the former lessons, which I like a lot. (More importantly, my kids like the books). I do implement a lot of worksheets in with the Saxon text for extra practice.

BTW I don't like the lifepacs either.

Sinatra
Thanks Sinatra. I friend of mine from our church used it this past year. I went over her house to review it and was very impressed by it. Did you use the Kindergarten Saxon? I wasn't too sure on that one.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 04-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Hi Darcie,

I've been homeschooled my whole life except for kindergarden and half of first grade. Mom used a math curriculum called, "Garlic Press." I highly recommend it. It's simple and it's designed by teachers who have taught "hard to teach" children. They very clearly explain the problems that need to be solved and give you clear steps on how to get the answer you need to get. I had a hard time learning math, so these books helped me, but they have other things besides math too.
Saxon math is good to. I worked with that also and it helped me, but I have to say that Garlic Press helped me much more.
Do you go to homeschool bookfairs at all? If you don't, I'll see if I can find you a map of where all the fairs are held in the states.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
Hi Darcie,

I've been homeschooled my whole life except for kindergarden and half of first grade. Mom used a math curriculum called, "Garlic Press." I highly recommend it. It's simple and it's designed by teachers who have taught "hard to teach" children. They very clearly explain the problems that need to be solved and give you clear steps on how to get the answer you need to get. I had a hard time learning math, so these books helped me, but they have other things besides math too.
Saxon math is good to. I worked with that also and it helped me, but I have to say that Garlic Press helped me much more.
Do you go to homeschool bookfairs at all? If you don't, I'll see if I can find you a map of where all the fairs are held in the states.
I'm gonna google Garlic Press. There are about 2 bookfairs coming up here in Jackson in the next month or so. Thanks for the info.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 04-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Glad to help. Like I said, I havent' homeschooled anyone, but Mom homeschooled me and I had lots of fun with Garlic press. I couldn't get algebra or Algrebra 1/2 until she got me the Garlic Press.

Have a great weekend~
Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Sinatra. I friend of mine from our church used it this past year. I went over her house to review it and was very impressed by it. Did you use the Kindergarten Saxon? I wasn't too sure on that one.

Sorry, I never used any of the kindergarten math books. I researched what info. a kindergartener needed (math wise), and just taught those concepts my way. LOL. Not the most orthodox way to do it, but that's what worked for us.

Sinatra
Old 04-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I use the Robinson curriculum which also uses the Saxon Math. I start with book 54. What you are already doing is enough (teaching them their facts). I think you are wasting your money with the other books. I have Saxon K, 1, 2, and just the book for 3. They seem to really just take up time and money. I start my children in book 54 when they can read not fourth grade.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

I have heard good things about Saxon Math- the only drawback I saw with the Saxon series- this was several years ago- was a lot of repetition work. I have known several school systems that have used them with a lot of success.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

I know some folks who used this curriculum and liked it. They did not homeschool their children, but it was used in the church school. Several of the students went on to win honors in college.

Check this out.

https://www.abeka.com/