Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
crisis, doctrine, faith

Old 03-04-2019, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Re: Struggling with Doctrine & Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit&Truth View Post
Hey everyone. I'm something of a new poster here, although I have lurked on the forums off and on for a few years.

Been in church most of my life (since 5 years old or so) although my family did backslide for a while, at which point I came to God on my own (that is, apart from any push from my parents) when I was 13.

I've been running this race for 13 years now, and I've been very busy! I made up my mind a long time ago that this was the lifestyle for me. I've sat under some of the greatest men of God, and even did a couple years in Bible college. I feel I have a pretty good handle on our doctrine, was a Bible quizzer, and have been involved in ministry (still am), both assistant pastoring for one of our ministries and regularly leading worship and playing instruments.

Anyway, this may be the wrong place to post, but I'm looking for some discussion and prayer. Lately, I've been in a funk and having a crisis of faith of sorts. This all started last year when a close friend of mine, who is a minister, urged me to study the doctrine of tithing for myself and examine the whole counsel of God on the topic for myself. I put it off, because OF COURSE tithing is scriptural and essential for the NT church, right? I felt there was no way I could be wrong; I had studied before and knew all the pro-tithing points. But being a person who believes that we must LOVE the truth, I felt that I should go ahead and examine what I was being shown, because loving the truth means open to being shown that you are wrong.

So, long story short, I came to the conclusion that I was wrong on tithing. I don't really want to get into that topic in particular (thought I can elaborate if needed), this is just part of the journey. It bothered me, because if we are wrong about this, what else are we wrong about? I didn't want it to, but I felt it put me at odds with men of God who I trust with my life and know to be faithful men of God. The whole thing really bugged me, because I felt that it was plain to be seen when studying the scripture, so how could they not see? Fast forward to more recently, and I've found myself in a crisis of faith. I never thought I would be here, but I find myself questioning even core doctrines I have believed (and defended) for my whole adult/teenage life. I will humbly admit that I have even questioned right down to the existence of God, speaking in tongues, and other things, wondering if maybe none of it was real. And I am really ashamed of that. It seems impossible that I could see the things I've seen, and still have a propensity for doubt, but here I am. Deep down I love God, and my whole life has been built on this truth, and I'm just in a weird place.

Unfortunately I'm afraid if I were to bring up my doubts to the leadership at my church, then my ministry could be in jeopardy, and I love to serve and don't want to mess that up. Same goes for close friends.... I just don't want to scare people off or get branded as a heretic or something (I know I'm probably just being dramatic about that). I lead songs, play instruments, and even write songs that have been done in churches, and I don't want to mess all of that up. I just feel so weak right now, and I don't want to complicate things with the other leaders at the church or give an impression of myself that I'm not a true believer or something.

So anyway, I was just wondering if any of those here who perhaps are more experienced than me can chime in. Especially those who are in or have been in ministry. Have you found yourself in a crisis of faith like this before? What did you do to get out of it? I'm even open to books or video series that helped build your faith. Prayers are also much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
If you are sincerely looking for answers you have come to wrong place.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
If you are sincerely looking for answers you have come to wrong place.

Well...dont offer a critique without a solution.

Where would you recommend he go to get his questions answered?

Looks like he's gotten some good answers so far clearly grounded in scripture.

If we are so dangerous...why are YOU hanging around?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:38 PM
Administrator

While these things can seem to be crisis level situations, I think you should look at things a little more patiently and methodically.

If you imagine doctrine as something comparable to a map of what you believe, but in time you realize that some point on your map doesn't add up to what's actually on the ground (that is, in your heart), you need not rush to throw the whole map away. You merely need to remap that part.

As you realize how that one part affects other places on your map, take it slow, one at a time, and check the map to the ground, and make adjustments as necessary. The goal is to get where you are going, and you're not going to get there by accident, especially if you throw away the map.

Apart from that, revisit your starting place. Where did you and God meet? Where and when did He first draw up a map in your heart? You have to remember something. You are not simply dealing with a set of propositions. You are in a relationship with someONE, not some thing.

Speaking from experience, I have nearly tossed to the wind everything I was originally taught and early on came to believe doctrine-wise. But the process didn't shake my faith in God at all. I cared about and loved and still care about and love truth more than anything, and I have no trouble tossing aside anything that doesn't match up with reality.

Truth is unassailable. It can withstand every attack. So bang as hard as you can against it if you want, but in the end, whatever that remains standing is still truth. That's what you need to find.

As far as your ministry is concerned, make the choices that allow you to maintain your integrity, to look at your self in the mirror without being ashamed, instead of whatever keeps your ego buzzing, or is merely otherwise inconvenient or inexpedient for you, no matter how hard the choices will be to make.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 03-05-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Very well said, Esaias!!!
Did someone mention tithing?

Getting you to appear all one needs to do is say Bettljuice 3 times.

Or post anything concerning tithing.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post

Dude...be nice lol
Old 03-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Better stick with tithing. It’s easier to spell. And don’t forget about my other specialty- tattoos!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Better stick with tithing. It’s easier to spell. And don’t forget about my other specialty- tattoos!
Tattoos?

Pray tell what be your rant on this particular candy stick?

*stares in well inked*
Old 03-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Tattoos?

Pray tell what be your rant on this particular candy stick?

*stares in well inked*
Just kidding. I was referring to EB wanting to engage me in a long winded debate on the fine points of ink and self cutting.

I’m not an authority on the subject.

I have given that dubious honor to tha Evangelist.

He is the TATOOMEISTER!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Just kidding. I was referring to EB wanting to engage me in a long winded debate on the fine points of ink and self cutting.

I’m not an authority on the subject.

I have given that dubious honor to tha Evangelist.

He is the TATOOMEISTER!
Hey, you are the one who is ecclesiastically tedious. I was just explaining the meaning of the scripture.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey, you are the one who is ecclesiastically tedious. I was just explaining the meaning of the scripture.
We are grateful.