Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Mr. Stewart

Baked Turkey vs. Fried Turkey

I used to eat the traditional baked turkey...until I had it fried. I'm wondering how many people will bake vs. fry and how many people who have had it fried actually prefer the traditional baked turkey.
Personally, I used to simply tolerate the traditional turkey because I always thought it was more dry and less flavorful than what I prefer.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Baked Turkey vs. Fried Turkey

We are breaking the rules this year EATING OUT on Thanksgiving day! With the baby coming in a couple weeks, we can't really travel or do a big cooked meal (Gimmie a break! I offered to cook!)

This Sunday though, we will go to my Mom's for an early Thanksgiving meal they are doing four turkeys - about 70 people.

They generally only do the traditional oven-baked turkey.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

We always do a fried turkey. We've been frying them for about 13 yrs. I agree, a baked turkey just isn't as moist. We also always brine our turkey. It really makes for a super moist bird. We usually do a Cajun brine, this year, however, we are doing a brown sugar, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, thyme, and crushed garlic brine. We've used this recipe a few times and it's really good.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Forever Loved Admin

We are having one fried and one baked. And for those that don't like turkey, we are having a ham.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Accepts all friends requests

There's been a fad the last several years to smoke one bird. It's pretty flavorful but if you don't like the dryness of the white meat in a baked turkey, you'll probably go "Ho-hum" over a smoked one.

Personally, the wild fowl of North America have never really done me any harm; so I've never been one to celebrate the basting of their carcasses.

I just don't get really worked up about the extra effort behind the food, though I know it's a source of happiness for many others. I do look forward to the variety of the spread that's a result of so many people coming together. And then there's one sister's cheese ball. It's spicy with bits of jalapeños and crunchy with bits of nuts. It ain't the holidays without one or more of those giant cheese balls!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
There's been a fad the last several years to smoke one bird. It's pretty flavorful but if you don't like the dryness of the white meat in a baked turkey, you'll probably go "Ho-hum" over a smoked one.
A smoked turkey needs to be brined first! Then you won't have as much trouble with a dry bird--unless you overcook it, or forget to let it rest before slicing.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
A smoked turkey needs to be brined first! Then you won't have as much trouble with a dry bird--unless you overcook it, or forget to let it rest before slicing.
Don't know the details on that one. They've got 'em smoking long before we ever show up.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

We will be doing a fried turkey....and will also have a smoked turkey. Spiral ham also.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Oven turkey is wonderful IF it's not overcooked and IF it's basted well - Rub whole bird with butter - even under skin where you can reach. stuff with an apple or orange, onion and celery. I like turkey smoked, fried or baked - just don't overcook any of them!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 AM
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
We always do a fried turkey. We've been frying them for about 13 yrs. I agree, a baked turkey just isn't as moist. We also always brine our turkey. It really makes for a super moist bird. We usually do a Cajun brine, this year, however, we are doing a brown sugar, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, thyme, and crushed garlic brine. We've used this recipe a few times and it's really good.
Oooooo.... Ya know, I got nowhere to go this year....

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the World
It's all over, fat lady done sang...