Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Christmas 2009

Do You Believe in Credit Cards?

I know that Dave Ramsey really teaches against credit cards period, no exceptions. I have credit cards, but pay them off faithfully at the end of each month. I get lots of airline and hotel points, so I feel like it's good stewardship, rather than bad. But Dave says that you're letting man's system have your money, even if it's for less than a month, and he thinks that's wrong.

What think ye?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 PM
aka Pastor Robbie

Re: Do You Believe in Credit Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I know that Dave Ramsey really teaches against credit cards period, no exceptions. I have credit cards, but pay them off faithfully at the end of each month. I get lots of airline and hotel points, so I feel like it's good stewardship, rather than bad. But Dave says that you're letting man's system have your money, even if it's for less than a month, and he thinks that's wrong.

What think ye?
Please don't mess up my prophetic credit card ministry!

Seriously, I believe that Credit Cards can easily lead a person into bondage and slavery and I definitely believe that goes against God's will and plan for His children. However, like you, I have several cards that I use each month, specifically for particular usages; Gas Card; Office Supplies; Study Materials; etc. I make sure that when I'm charging something to those cards that it is always within my means to pay it off before the next cycle and I too, earn pretty nice points from these cards.

I believe that if you use credit cards responsibly and not frivolously, there is nothing wrong with it. That is my opinion...
Old 08-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

Not owned one in 15 years now, I do have a debt card, it takes money right out my account, money that's already there. I'm dept free, own my home on land free and clear, cars, truck, boat two four wheeler free and clear! If you want make money stay out dept, live within your means.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

What think ye?
Ramsey approaches credit cards in the same philosophy most Apostolics do about drinking, even though some could handle it, it is not worth the risk of getting addicted. Credit card abuse is epidemic right now and ESPECIALLY dangerous now that often cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.

I have taught his FPU several times. as a general rule his advice is dead on, avoid credit cards and consumer debt at all costs.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

What think ye?

I think that in order to be in and not of this world, there are certain realities that must be dealt with. A person's credit rating, in may ways, is more valuable than cash, serving as a reflection of one's sense of responsibility and financial discipline.

Responsible usage of credit cards is one sure way to build one's credit rating. It is easy to become entangled in the debt snare. However, in the time of emergency, it is good to have a credit card available to help cover the immediate necessities.

BTW Sherri,
If I come to Jackson, I'll leave my lotto tickets behind!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
I think that in order to be in and not of this world, there are certain realities that must be dealt with. A person's credit rating, in may ways, is more valuable than cash, serving as a reflection of one's sense of responsibility and financial discipline.

Responsible usage of credit cards is one sure way to build one's credit rating. It is easy to become entangled in the debt snare. However, in the time of emergency, it is good to have a credit card available to help cover the immediate necessities.

BTW Sherri,
If I come to Jackson, I'll leave my lotto tickets behind!
Bring those lotto earnings. We will sanctify the devil's money.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encryptus View Post
Ramsey approaches credit cards in the same philosophy most Apostolics do about drinking, even though some could handle it, it is not worth the risk of getting addicted. Credit card abuse is epidemic right now and ESPECIALLY dangerous now that often cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.

I have taught his FPU several times. as a general rule his advice is dead on, avoid credit cards and consumer debt at all costs.
ok.
if you do this, how does one build up there credit so they can qualify for a decent car loan and in the future, home loan? One has to build their credit some way-- credit cards are not the only way, but it is definitely an easy way to build one's credit rating.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

I have 4 credit cards and run a total balance of less than $1000 on them total. I used to rush right out and max out any credit card I had, but I've learned to be careful about what I use them for. I have one that I use for any online purchases I make, and that one gets paid off every month. I have two others I use for things I need that I don't have the money for, like buying my children's school clothes last weekend. On those two cards, I pay as much as I can on each month, making sure to pay at least $50 on each. I have another one that is there just for an emergency. I take it with me if I am leaving town with my family, in case the van breaks down and I have to either get a motel room for the night while it's getting fixed, or if I end up having to rent a car to come home.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encryptus View Post

I guess I understand that mentality. But I feel like because I have learned to use them responsibly and ALWAYS pay them off monthly, they have become an asset and not a liability to me. The free stays and flights that I earn seem to be a good measure of stewardship.

On the other hand, drinking (although it may be done responsibly) is never really an asset, but just a carnal pleasure.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
ok.
if you do this, how does one build up there credit so they can qualify for a decent car loan and in the future, home loan? One has to build their credit some way-- credit cards are not the only way, but it is definitely an easy way to build one's credit rating.
A lot more involved than can easily go through on this format. Will be glad to PM you some articles.

But one small example, most people are not aware that having too many credit cards EVEN IF PAID OFF TIMELY can actually result in a lower credit score.