Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Need some direction/guidance/materials.

Forgive me in advance. This is a long one.

I am in need of some direction/guidance/materials about starting a home church, small meeting. I know I could google it, but that would give me a million places to start. I thought it wiser to ask here since I know many here have done this before and know what seems to work and not work.

I know Aquila is HUGE on the home church movement so I would greatly appreciate his input. I may be messaging him in a bit. I'm also interested in how guys like Jason Badejo have handled leaving the traditional Apostolic church. I have read his views here for some time and have typically agreed with him, so I am curious as to how he handled going to where he is now from where he was.

Just for some background, I do not want to leave the Apostolic church. No one will convince me of the trinity or that Acts 2:38 is not the revealed plan of salvation for the church. I don't think all others are hellbound, but I would never preach anythign other than the three step view of Acts 2:38 salvation. My wife and I are very conservative in terms of the "standard" and I have no problem with it as long as it is taught in terms of it being a tradition and not some kind of heave n or hell doctrine.

I attend a great church. it is stable. it is growing. it is strong. It has great leadership that has never even had a whisper of scandal. The men are pillars in the district, all respected and serving without any reproach. The people are loving. They are giving. They are faithful. It is a multi-colored church, not just a bunch of whites. It is has all ages so it isn't just a young or old church. It really is a great church.

However, I am personally drying up and dying there. I hate to say that. I teach regularly, usually two weeks at a time Sunday mornings. I am an elder in good standing. I love the people and the leadership. BUt I'm dying inside. I get NOTHING from service anymore. It's not bad church, I feel like it is just ALWAYS meant to feed babies.

We have no expository teaching/preaching unless I do it, and I am still learning the skill. We have not, in my 20 years there, ever heard any teaching or preachign on the gifts of the spirit. There is no real theological teaching. We don't hear about justification, sanctification, redemption, the deeper works of the cross, etc. We hear the Apostolic basics (Oneness, Acts 2:38, holiness, giving) but not much else in terms of theology. There in no push to work in the community. We send a check to the food pantry, but that sums up our real involvement there. We are building a beautiful church and have saints that look the part, but I feel like we are not really DOING anything.

We hear non-stop about tithing and giving. I wish I was kidding, but we hear it almost every service. Now, I would understand that if it were a stingy church, but according to the records 90% of the church regularly tithes and gives in the offerings. We run over 400 and almost all of us give faithfully. But it is never enough. We raised $60,000 in one special offering a couple months back in order to renovate our church, but that wasn't enough. Now we are asked to give another $40,000 for another summer project. Then Pastor wants us to give and raise another $70,000 in the spring for another renovation. This on top of tithing, ofering, regular giving, helping those who have a need, etc. Yet all we hear about is how we need to give more and be faithful. WE ALREADY ARE!

I am about to snap over this stuff. My breaking point just about came Sunday. Pastor was preaching a tremendous word about Hezekiah finally tearing down the high places that the prior kings left standing and how those high places were destroying the people. It was convicting. It was a great word. But instead of just continuing on that line and bringing folks to repentance and the breaking down of some personal high places, Pastor switched gears right in the middle of conviciton and starts talking about giving because Hezekiah re-opened the temple after destroying the high places. He asked for the firstfruits and tithes to begin to be brought back to the temple once it was re-opened and so we need to tear down the high places and put God first by giving more to the church.

I can't take much more of this. I cannot in good conscience raise my sons in an environment where all they will ever hear is money money money from the pulpit. Especially when it already is a giving,faithful church. I don't feel bitter. I don't hate my Pastor. I don't wish them any ill will. I want them to do well. I want God to bless them and let the church grow. I want souls saved. I love my Pastor and Bishop. I just don't agree with the vision and direction Pastor wants to take the church. And I don't want to be in the way or honestly have my wife and sons get caught up in that nonsense of money money money either.

Yet how do I move away form it? What did some of you do? I will not simply stop going to church. I will not just leave and have nowhere to go. I would like to start a small meeting in my home and try to grow from there. I have never personally desired to be a traditional Pastor. I personally feel my gift is teaching. So what do I do? What have some of you done?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Re: Need some direction/guidance/materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
Forgive me in advance. This is a long one.

I am in need of some direction/guidance/materials about starting a home church, small meeting. I know I could google it, but that would give me a million places to start. I thought it wiser to ask here since I know many here have done this before and know what seems to work and not work.

I know Aquila is HUGE on the home church movement so I would greatly appreciate his input. I may be messaging him in a bit. I'm also interested in how guys like Jason Badejo have handled leaving the traditional Apostolic church. I have read his views here for some time and have typically agreed with him, so I am curious as to how he handled going to where he is now from where he was.

Just for some background, I do not want to leave the Apostolic church. No one will convince me of the trinity or that Acts 2:38 is not the revealed plan of salvation for the church. I don't think all others are hellbound, but I would never preach anythign other than the three step view of Acts 2:38 salvation. My wife and I are very conservative in terms of the "standard" and I have no problem with it as long as it is taught in terms of it being a tradition and not some kind of heave n or hell doctrine.

I attend a great church. it is stable. it is growing. it is strong. It has great leadership that has never even had a whisper of scandal. The men are pillars in the district, all respected and serving without any reproach. The people are loving. They are giving. They are faithful. It is a multi-colored church, not just a bunch of whites. It is has all ages so it isn't just a young or old church. It really is a great church.

However, I am personally drying up and dying there. I hate to say that. I teach regularly, usually two weeks at a time Sunday mornings. I am an elder in good standing. I love the people and the leadership. BUt I'm dying inside. I get NOTHING from service anymore. It's not bad church, I feel like it is just ALWAYS meant to feed babies.

We have no expository teaching/preaching unless I do it, and I am still learning the skill. We have not, in my 20 years there, ever heard any teaching or preachign on the gifts of the spirit. There is no real theological teaching. We don't hear about justification, sanctification, redemption, the deeper works of the cross, etc. We hear the Apostolic basics (Oneness, Acts 2:38, holiness, giving) but not much else in terms of theology. There in no push to work in the community. We send a check to the food pantry, but that sums up our real involvement there. We are building a beautiful church and have saints that look the part, but I feel like we are not really DOING anything.

We hear non-stop about tithing and giving. I wish I was kidding, but we hear it almost every service. Now, I would understand that if it were a stingy church, but according to the records 90% of the church regularly tithes and gives in the offerings. We run over 400 and almost all of us give faithfully. But it is never enough. We raised $60,000 in one special offering a couple months back in order to renovate our church, but that wasn't enough. Now we are asked to give another $40,000 for another summer project. Then Pastor wants us to give and raise another $70,000 in the spring for another renovation. This on top of tithing, ofering, regular giving, helping those who have a need, etc. Yet all we hear about is how we need to give more and be faithful. WE ALREADY ARE!

I am about to snap over this stuff. My breaking point just about came Sunday. Pastor was preaching a tremendous word about Hezekiah finally tearing down the high places that the prior kings left standing and how those high places were destroying the people. It was convicting. It was a great word. But instead of just continuing on that line and bringing folks to repentance and the breaking down of some personal high places, Pastor switched gears right in the middle of conviciton and starts talking about giving because Hezekiah re-opened the temple after destroying the high places. He asked for the firstfruits and tithes to begin to be brought back to the temple once it was re-opened and so we need to tear down the high places and put God first by giving more to the church.

I can't take much more of this. I cannot in good conscience raise my sons in an environment where all they will ever hear is money money money from the pulpit. Especially when it already is a giving,faithful church. I don't feel bitter. I don't hate my Pastor. I don't wish them any ill will. I want them to do well. I want God to bless them and let the church grow. I want souls saved. I love my Pastor and Bishop. I just don't agree with the vision and direction Pastor wants to take the church. And I don't want to be in the way or honestly have my wife and sons get caught up in that nonsense of money money money either.

Yet how do I move away form it? What did some of you do? I will not simply stop going to church. I will not just leave and have nowhere to go. I would like to start a small meeting in my home and try to grow from there. I have never personally desired to be a traditional Pastor. I personally feel my gift is teaching. So what do I do? What have some of you done?

My first comment before I answer your question is, my guess is your pastor is not giving as he is asking others to give. I am all for giving as God directs and depleting the saints pockets for continuous renovations is not it.

Now as to a home church. I start one in the town I was previously living in. My goal in that one was to appeal to those that had quit going to traditional church do to past hurts etc.

The thing you must realize when you do this that you will have to keep your home always clean, and with children they sometimes resent not being able to have their friends over anytime they want.

The other thing you need to be aware of is you are inviting anyone into your home. That means they are bring their spirits into your home, so you need to remember to pray over your home before and after they leave.

Also,mkeep your personal valuables out of sight.

As too material, we just used the Bible. If you don't have musical instruments use a cd too sing with, but don't miss a time of worship.

We also once a quarter had fellowship with everyone bring a dish to share.

Hope this helps.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Master ThreadKiller

Steps to take:

1. Immediately take the oversight of your family and begin regular family worship meetings. This will teach you and your family how to 'do church'. Set an appointed time, gather together as a family in the living room, and pray. Sing songs to God. Open the Word and read it aloud, explaining the text as you go and sharing any insight you have. Remind the others (if they have the Spirit) that God wants to use them, so 'if anything is revealed' to them they should speak up. Close with prayer for any stated needs, bless your wife and children - actually speak a blessing over them - and then eat supper. Have a loaf of unleavened bread and a cup of wine (grape juice if you are abstain from alcohol) with the supper. Give thanks for the bread and how it represents the fact we are one Body in Christ, break it and share it. Give thanks for the wine/juice and how we partake of one Blood. Don't make a ritual out of anything, just be normal. It may be difficult at first, because it is new, but practice builds habit which builds normalcy.

2. Speak to everyone you meet about Jesus Christ and their need to repent and believe the gospel. Any who show interest invite them to your house (or if they want to host you at their house, either way) for teaching. Do not buy a 'bible study' system, just sit down and TEACH THEM THE GOSPEL. Focus on the resurrection of Jesus and how it is an historical fact, then demand a response - reason demands we believe, because the testimony of his resurrection is believable. Any who indicate they are willing to commit to Christ should be IMMEDIATELY baptised (in accordance with Acts 22:16, Acts 2:38, etc). Be prepared to pray for them to receive the Holy Ghost.

3. Invite the new converts to regularly meet with you and any others for prayer, teaching, and sharing, and the Lord's Supper.

Rinse, repeat, expand.

Be leery of people 'dropping out of church' and wanting to attend your meetings - they will often bring all sorts of theological baggage that will need to be addressed.

Necessary reading -

1st Corinthians - gives an overview of HOW THE CHURCH MEETING TAKES PLACE, especially chs 11-14.

Understand the structure of the church - a group of people united by faith, baptism, and commitment to walking together. Have a vision - a FAMILY of families united in one purpose, one love, one faith, one commitment to each other and the Lord. This is more than 'weekly meetings', it is lives growing together in a symbiotic relationship.

Each church should (ultimately) have multiple elders, who are responsible for the 'oversight' of the church - responsible for teaching all members the doctrines of Christ. Deacons are ministers - servants - of the church (the community of the faithful), their job is to meet needs.

Take up a collection FOR THE SAINTS, not 'from the saints', to give to each as they have need.

Teach the bible book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. Be prepared to answer questions about the teaching.

As an elder, your job is to train new believers to become mature - which means you are training all to function in the Body (1 Cor 12-14) and you are training prospective elders to REPLACE you when the time comes.

This is a short list and a quick response, more to follow about specifics later or feel free to ask about specifics as you think of them.

You will learn more by doing than by reading, though.

Above all else, PRAY FOR GOD'S GUIDANCE AND BLESSING.

God speed on your journey.

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Master ThreadKiller

the New Testament shows the meetings of the early church were for several general purposes:

1. Prayer. Self explanatory. Meetings had prayer, and there were also meetings FOR prayer.

2. Teaching and sharing. This is the heart of 1 Cor 12-14. Teaching the Word of Christ and everyone sharing as the Spirit gives to them to share. Open meetings are the norm. All teachings, revelations, prophecies, messages w/interpretations, etc are to be judged in the meeting as to their Scriptural accuracy and expediency for the Body. This means question and answer, be prepared to defend any teaching, to examine any teaching, to prove all things and keep what is GOOD.

3. The Lord's supper. See 1 Cor 11. This is a full meal (a pot luck if you will) with a loaf of unleavened bread and a cup of wine/juice (and footwashing if you really want to go all the way!). NOT A RITUAL. Just do it like Jesus did at the Last Supper. Give thanks, remind everyone of the UNITY OF THE BODY, share.

Everything else flows from these things.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Master ThreadKiller

About the 'worship'.

Biblical worship is not an event or a 'meeting' but a lifestyle. Keep that in mind.

In the meeting, music plays a part. The purpose of music is not to 'create a mood' nor is it to please the 'audience', rather it is to teach and admonish one another.

Choose only songs that are theologically correct. Choose songs that can be sung with whoever and whatever you have on hand. You don't need a band or choir and would probably be better off without them.

Scriptures on singing in the meeting -

How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 1 Cor 14:26

Individuals can choose the songs to sing or bring a song to the meeting for the purpose of true edification.

Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things to God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; 21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

The purpose of music in the assembly is to teach and admonish one another.

Keep it simple, keep the focus on God, and be genuine.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Do you do the Lords supper every service?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Master ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Do you do the Lords supper every service?
If there's a meal involved, why not?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

Good advice so far Esaias. Thank you.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 AM

Very good advice.

When we left church we decided on something much less formal then just trying to 'do church' at home. My husband plays guitar and we have always sung songs of worship at home. We have always prayed together and we have always studied the Bible together... Upon leaving church we actually found that 90% of our spiritual food was already being produced at home (our church being much like the one you are describing)... So what we lacked in not belonging to a church were fellowship and opportunities for service. We prayed that God would open doors in those areas.

So far he has brought us a few other farm families who home-church. We are able to spend time with them once or twice a month. At first this seemed very empty because we were used to all of the activity of being 'at' church 3 times a week or more. But over time God has really filled our lives with opportunities for service and witness.

Don works in a very large wharehouse and has started a bible study there. Also he noticed that a lot of the guys wore T-shirts with vulgar slogans on them so has started 'witness Wednesday'... We go every weekend and shop for witness T-shirts and he passes them out freely. Everyone wears them on Wednesday... There are several preachers on his shift and they go around and talk about what the scriptures on the shirts mean and have an opportunity to witness to those people. It has been very fruitful and has changed the climate on his job from one of rough and rowdy to respectful and friendly.

God has led me to help people and families in crisis, whether it is just buying a bill of groceries or helping with funeral expenses, there is always a need that I can fill and God always provides the finances for it. It is so much more rewarding than giving my check to the offering every week and letting someone ELSE do God's work with the money or building huge edifices that I don't really care about.

Last edited by Titus2woman; 06-05-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
Very good advice.

When we left church we decided on something much less formal then just trying to 'do church' at home. My husband plays guitar and we have always sung songs of worship at home. We have always prayed together and we have always studied the Bible together... Upon leaving church we actually found that 90% of our spiritual food was already being produced at home (our church being much like the one you are describing)... So what we lacked in not belonging to a church were fellowship and opportunities for service. We prayed that God would open doors in those areas.

So far he has brought us a few other farm families who home-church. We are able to spend time with them once or twice a month. At first this seemed very empty because we were used to all of the activity of being 'at' church 3 times a week or more. But over time God has really filled our lives with opportunities for service and witness.

Don works in a very large wharehouse and has started a bible study there. Also he noticed that a lot of the guys wore T-shirts with vulgar slogans on them so has started 'witness Wednesday'... We go every weekend and shop for witness T-shirts and he passes them out freely. Everyone wears them on Wednesday... There are several preachers on his shift and they go around and talk about what the scriptures on the shirts mean and have an opportunity to witness to those people. It has been very fruitful and has changed the climate on his job from one of rough and rowdy to respectful and friendly.

God has led me to help people and families in crisis, whether it is just buying a bill of groceries or helping with funeral expenses, there is always a need that I can fill and God always provides the finances for it. It is so much more rewarding than giving my check to the offering every week and letting someone ELSE do God's work with the money or building huge edifices that I don't really care about.