Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Good morning, Tim.

Becky Fender is the daughter of one of my dad's closest friends back through the years, and a man you probably know, David Varnado. The last I heard he was still living in the Lake Charles area.

Dad said that Steve Fender got in church in Illinois or somewhere up that way. He preached for us back in the seventies at Sandy Lake and was a powerful preacher.

Their close association with KP would have come later...

Good to see you back on...
I didn't realize she was a Varnado from Lake Charles.

Had I known at one time, I'd long forgotten.

If she's David's daughter, I guess she'd be A. D. Varnado's granddaughter.

My daughter worked in the kitchen at the junior camp, had to skip the senior camp for art academy and then was back for campmeeting.

David Varnado was her boss so I guess he's following his dad as head of the kitchen during the Louisiana camps.

My bad ... I thought they were some of KP's converts around the time the hippies were coming on board.

Grady Stebbins was another.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Incredible India

I listen to part of the message, in it SF made a statement about a man who became a successful preacher by imitating KP---Who was SF speaking about??
Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
I listen to part of the message, in it SF made a statement about a man who became a successful preacher by imitating KP---Who was SF speaking about??
He probably was speaking about himself! When he was first evangelizing he preached KP messages!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I have not listened to the service but I was at Promiseland not long ago when this service was announced and it was to incorporate KP's birthday celebration so I am sure that is why you heard a lot about KP.

The church used to throw KP big "surprise" birthday parties and to pre-empt that I think he just started incorporating a little nod to his birthday in whatever service was the closest to it.

In this case when I was there a couple of weeks ago he said that Steve Fender was going to be one of the guys preaching his funeral and this service was an opportunity for him to practice!

I would hope that on any Pastor's birthday his congregation or peers would let him know how much they appreciate him and what he has done. I am sure that is what was going on here.

KP is not flashy nor does he seek attention, adoration, etc.

3E, I would suggest you watch / listen to other services from Promiseland and I think you would quickly retract your criticism.
I am not criticizing KP I was not enthused by all the rhetoric coming from SF though.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Incredible India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
He probably was speaking about himself! When he was first evangelizing he preached KP messages!
You confirmed what I was suspecting, thats what he probably meant-he just never clarified that indeed it was him that was a lousy preacher before he stated imitating KP.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentecostisalive View Post
I just found something interesting. Pastor Steve Fender (http://www.livingwaychurchsa.org/) preached at Promiseland Church and mentioned how that Anthony Mangun (he calls him a good friend) had swayed the conference floor in Tampa, FL.

There are couple interesting things.

1) He states that 30 years ago that God placed a vision for using TV in his and KP's heart, and it is the same vision that AM has. He attributes the results to Kenneth Phillips reverbrating influence.

2) He was present on the floor of GC. (I hope he didn't vote)

You can see this for yourself at:
mms://66.232.148.34/Oct1st-7743V.wmv (or http://www.promiselandchurch.net/content/view/112/167/)

If you start watching at 1 hr and 12 minutes in, you will see it.

The charismatics are rejoicing because we are coming their way. It is sad, especially when you look at these men and their churches, and realize that same mistakes they made, UPCI is also repeating.
True brother True
Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentecostisalive View Post
I don't know him personally, and he might be the most wonderful man on the face of the earth. Yet, we don't follow someone into false doctrine, no matter how nice he is. Nice doesn't mean "saved", nice doesn't mean "right".

There is more to the Bible than Acts 2:38 and though he believes that, he has thrown out of alot of the rest.

I am not tearing down the man personally, but what he believes and his doctrine is tainted, and watered down.
AMEN BROTHER AMEN
Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
PentecostalAlive,

I understand from your perspective that is how you see things. However it is a shame your judgement is clouded in my opinon.

KP was my pastor for over 16 years and I can tell you that there is no bigger proponent of Acts 2:38 3 step salvation in the world.

What you guys don't like is that he did not uphold your cookie cutter extra biblical legalism nor the uncut hair doctrine for women, etc.

KP is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and he would be the first one to tell you that. However he has worked tirelessly to spread the Acts 2 message. Today is his 68th birthday I believe and I will tell you that in my 48 years of being around Oneness Pentecost I do not know a single person who has devoted any more of their time and energy to the Acts 2 message.
CC1, I used to watch KP's program back in the day, and though I wasn't saved, I thought it was great.

I remember one particular broadcast where he had a young woman testify...I can't remember her name, but she was the niece of Katharine Hepburn. She was a beautiful girl...blond hair I think...it's been a while ago now.

Anyway, she said that she witnessed to her Aunt Katharine and was told to NOT bring that subject up again.

Were you going there then and do you know anything about this?!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
I didn't realize she was a Varnado from Lake Charles.

Had I known at one time, I'd long forgotten.

If she's David's daughter, I guess she'd be A. D. Varnado's granddaughter.

My daughter worked in the kitchen at the junior camp, had to skip the senior camp for art academy and then was back for campmeeting.

David Varnado was her boss so I guess he's following his dad as head of the kitchen during the Louisiana camps.

My bad ... I thought they were some of KP's converts around the time the hippies were coming on board.

Grady Stebbins was another.

Becky Varnado was from Oil City, La, as I recall.

I saw her at the youth rally's. She had the longest curly ponytail of any girl I ever saw.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Don't forget that Becky Fender is Barbara Keller's sister (Barbara is Gary Kellor's wife).