Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post
I know what you mean. Also, attention from women as well...they're always saying "oh, your hair is so long, how long have you been growing it out?" and it's just irritating.
Uh the kind of attention I get from the men I sure don't want to be getting from women....:sshhh
Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Uh, I'm a bit confused.........I thought you were a guy?
It must be gender confusion.You will get over it.If you don't go over to the
Dear Rhoni thread and she will help you.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouvere View Post
Uh the kind of attention I get from the men I sure don't want to be getting from women....:sshhh
I guess I don't get much attention from men anymore...but I don't blame you!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:14 AM
yael

I believe this is why Paul said what he said to the Corinthians and not the Ethiopians. I cannot imagine Paul speaking to the black women of his day about having long hair when, for them, to have such is impossible for most. I believe they would have been offended at such a sermon.

There are many black women thay have long hair - you can't tell because it is naturally super dee duper curly (tightly coiled). Which means it will look short ----> But this is in regard to those that will wear the 'natural' look.

I think its rather easy to break so it wont keep growing very long because it will break off. So it's probably kept to a MANAGEABLE length.
I mean it would seem creepy to have thousands and thousands of strands of hair that is 8 inches long and then 300 strands that are 18 inches long.

But there are so so so many black women that have fairly long hair. I think we are stereo-typed into an image of not have long hair. But theres a lot that dont. So there.

But you must understand - that the majority of Americans dont' mix (live with/around - not just work with or spend a couple of hours on a pew staring at the back of a black woman's head to study her ) but live and go to the beauty salon with or sit on the porch and platte llittle girls' heads of hair or have a close enough relationship with black women to understand these things. You might know Debbie and she has short hair but her cousin Kathy has hair that drops below her shoulder blades.

Our hair is long but bushy and straight but wirey and wavy but medium length and kinky but weak and brittle and strong but nappy. Our hair types run the gamut.

And for Black Americans - it could be from inter-racial relations but then there were Africans (from a small part of Africa - we aint speaking of every kind of black person in Africa. There are black women in Africa that will give women in Bangkok a run for their money when it comes to hair length) that traveled her under tough circumstances that had long hair - however they did not bring their straightening combs with them to straighten it out to show their length.

But what does that have to so with the price of beans in China?

The question is would Paul tell short haired women to NOT cut their hair? ......YEH.
And thats a resounding YES.

And I dont know who these black preachers are that don't preach I Corinthians because some women in the audience dont have long hair.

If its that short - that its shameful - then he was most definately talking to them to put a veil on their head.
Now that's if its a shameful thing for a woman to have short hair.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 AM
delete account

Yael,

Thank-you for bringing some diversity to our forum...I do agree that women with very short hair should wear a veil, but disagree that a woman's hair cannot be cut...regardless of race.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post
I know what you mean. Also, attention from women as well...they're always saying "oh, your hair is so long, how long have you been growing it out?" and it's just irritating.
I just answer the "how long have you let your hair grow" question with this answer: "All of my life."

My husband also likes my hair down and curled, but it takes a lot of time to do that, and, it attracts more attention than I care to have, so I only wear it like that once in a while.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 PM
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
It makes me mad when you ladies complain about too much hair!!!!!!!
As I tell my husband (who is also lacking in the scalp hair department), "Yer just jealous!!!"
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Sister Truth Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
I read this on someone's EC page.

Someone please tell me this doctrine isn't being preached all over the UPC still today.
Good old hair story's I have heard several, but never was a witness to anything such as that....magic hair .....magic hair.....magic hair....

oh and as far as people feeling the power of God when they see long hair....PLEASE..............beautiful hair is beautiful hair no matter who is wearing it......good grief folks..... also NOT ALLL long hair is beautiful...if it's thin and scraggly it's not pretty!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Just found this on another site.....

Quote:
"long hair" designates uncut hair. The "physical" length has nothing to do with the subject. In other words do not allow no one to use scissors or anything else in your hair.
When Paul wrote to the Corinthian Church he warned our sisters in that Church not to do like the females in the city who would cut their hair as a way to worship the false gods. So he wanted them to do like the sisters in Jerusalem who did not cut theirs and even had them in a bun on top of their hair. They would let their hair down only in the presence of their husband.
So sisters let's be modest and obedient to the scriptureseven with our hair !!
Now we have scripture that says we should wear buns!!!! ROFL!
Closed Thread