Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Azusa Street Testimonies

Friday, June 15, at “Azusa,” the Spirit dropped the “heavenly chorus” into my soul. I found myself suddenly joining the rest who had received this supernatural “gift.” It was a spontaneous manifestation and rapture no earthly tongue can describe. In the beginning this manifestation was wonderfully pure and powerful. We feared to try to reproduce it, as with the “tongues” also. Now many seemingly have no hesitation in imitating all the “gifts.” No one could understand this “gift of song” but those who had it. It was indeed a “new song” in the Spirit. When I first heard it in the meeting a great hunger entered my soul to receive it. I felt it would exactly express my pent up feelings. I had not yet spoken in “tongues.” But the “new song” captured me. It was a gift from God of high order, and appeared among us soon after the “Azusa” work began. No one had preached it. The Lord had sovereignly bestowed it, with the outpouring of the “residue of oil,” the “Latter Rain” baptism of the Spirit. It was exercised, as the Spirit moved the possessors, either in solo fashion, or by the company. It was sometimes without words, other times in “tongues.” The effect was wonderful on the people. It brought a heavenly atmosphere, as though the angels themselves were present and joining with us. And possibly they were. It seemed to still criticism and opposition, and was hard for even wicked men to gainsay or ridicule.

Some have condemned this “new song,” without words. But was not sound given before language? And is there not intelligence without language also? Who composed the first song? Must we necessarily follow some man’s composition, before us, always? We are too much worshippers of tradition. The speaking in “tongues” is not according to man’s wisdom or understanding. Then why not a “gift of song?” It is certainly a rebuke to the “jazzy” religious songs of our day. And possibly it was given for that purpose. Yet some of the old hymns are very good to sing, also. We need not desire or treat lightly of them. Some one has said that every fresh revival brings in its own hymnology. And this one surely did.

In the beginning in “Azusa” we had no musical instruments. In fact we felt no need of them. There was no place for them in our worship. All was spontaneous. We did not even sing from hymnbooks. All the old well-known hymns were sung from memory, quickened by the Spirit of God. “The Comforter Has Come,” was possibly the one must sung. We sang it from fresh, powerful heart experience. Oh, how the power of God filled and thrilled us. Then the “blood” songs were very popular. “The life is in the blood. “Sinai, Calvary, and Pentecost, all had their rightful place in the “Azusa” work. But the “new song” was altogether different, not of human composition. It cannot be successfully counterfeited. The crow cannot imitate the dove. But they finally began to despise this “gift,” when the human spirit asserted itself again. They drove it out by hymnbooks, and selected songs by leaders. It was like murdering the Spirit, and most painful to some of us, but the tide was too strong against us. Hymnbooks today are largely a commercial proposition, and we would not lose much without most of them. The old tunes, even, are violated by change, and new styles must be gotten out of every season, for added profit. There is very little real spirit of worship in them. They move the toes, but not the hearts of men. The spirit of song given from God in the beginning was like the Aeolian harp, in its spontaneity and sweetness. In fact it was the very breath of God, playing on human heartstrings, or human vocal cords. The notes were wonderful in sweetness, volume and duration. In fact they were of times humanly impossible. It was “singing in the Spirit.”

Brother Seymour was recognized as the nominal leader in charge. But we had no pope or hierarchy. We were “brethren.” We had no human program. The Lord Himself was leading. We had no priest class, nor priest craft. These things have come in later, with the apostatizing of the movement. We did not even have a platform or pulpit in the beginning. All were on a level. The ministers were servants, according to the true meaning of the word. We did not honor men for their advantage, in means or education, but rather for their God-given “gifts” He set the members in the “body.” Now” A wonderful and horrible thing is come to pass in the land. The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and My people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof.” –Jer. 5:30, 31. Also “AS for my people, children are their oppressors (sometimes grown up ones), and women rule over them.”
- Isa 3:12.

Brother Seymour generally sat behind two empty shoeboxes, one on top of the other. He usually kept his head inside the top one during the meeting, in prayer. There was no pride there. The services ran almost continuously. Seeking souls could be found under the power almost any hour, night and day. The place was never closed nor empty. The people came to meet God. He was always there. Hence a continuous meeting. The meeting did not depend on the human leader. God’s presences become more and more wonderful. In that old building, with its low rafters and bare floors, God took strong men and women to pieces, and put them together again, for His glory. It was a tremendous overhauling process. Pride and self-assertion, self-importance and self-esteem, could not survive there. The religious ego preaches its own funeral sermon quickly.

No subjects or sermons were announced ahead of time, and no special speakers for such an hour. No one knew what might be coming, What God would do. All was spontaneous, ordered of the Spirit. We wanted to hear from God, through whoever he might speak. We had no “respect of persons” The rich and educated were the dame as the poor and ignorant, and found a much harder death to die. We only recognized God. All were equal. No flesh might glory in His presence. He could not use the self-only recognized opinionated. Those were Holy Ghost meetings, led of the Lord. It had to start in the poor surroundings, God. All were equal. No flesh might glory in His presence. He could not use the self- to keep out the selfish, human element. All came down in humility together, at His feet. They all looked alike, and had all things in common in that sense at least. The rafters were low, the tall must come down. By the time they got to “Azusa” they were humbled, ready for the blessing. The food was thus placed for the lambs, not for giraffes. All could reach it.

We were delivered right there from ecclesiastical hierarchism and abuse. We wanted God. When we first reached the meeting we avoided as much as possible human contact and greeting. We wanted to meet God first. We got our head under some bench in the corner in prayer, and met men only in the Spirit, knowing them “after the flesh” no more. The meetings started themselves, spontaneously, in testimony, praise and worship. The testimonies were never hurried by a call for “popcorn.” We had no prearranged programmed to be jammed through the time. Our time was the Lord’s. We had real testimonies from fresh heart-experience. Otherwise, the shorter the testimonies, the better. A dozen might be on their feet at one time, trembling under the mighty power of god. We did not have to get our cur from some leader. And we were free from lawlessness. We were shut up to God in prayer in the meetings, our minds on Him. All obeyed God, in meekness and humility. In honor we “preferred one another.” The Lord was liable to burst through any one. We prayed for this continually. Some one would finally get up anointed for the message. All seemed to recognize this and gave way. It might be a child, a woman, or a man. It might be from the back seat, or from the front. It made no difference. We rejoiced that God was working. No one wished to show himself. We thought only of obeying God.

In fact there was an atmosphere of God there that forbade any one but a fool attempting to put himself forward without the real anointing. And such did not last long. The Spirit, from the throne controlled the meetings. Those were truly wonderful days. I often said that I would rather live six months at that time than fifty years of ordinary life. But God is just the same today. Only we have changed.

Some one might be speaking. Suddenly the Spirit would fall upon the congregation. God himself would give the altar call. Men would fall all over the house, like the slain in battle, or rush for the altar enmasse, to seek God. The scene often resembled a forest of fallen trees. Such a scene cannot be imitated. I never saw an altar call given in those early days. God himself would call them. And the preacher knew when to quit. When He spoke we all obeyed. It seemed a fearful thing to hinder or grieve the Spirit. The whole place was steeped in prayer, God was in His holy temple. It was for man to keep silent. The shekinah glory rested there. In fact some claim to have seen the glory by night over the building. I do not doubt it. I have stopped more than once within two blocks of the place and prayed for strength before I dared to go on. The presence of the Lord was so real.

Presumptuous men would sometimes come among us. Especially preachers who would try to spread themselves, in self-opinionating. But their effort was short lived. The breath would be taken from them. Their minds would wander, their brains reel. Things would turn black before their eyes. They could not go on. I never saw one get by with it in those days. They were up against God. No one cut them off. We simply prayed. The Holy Spirit did the rest. We wanted the Spirit to control. He wound them up in short order. They were carried out dead, spiritually speaking. They generally bit the dust in humility, going through the process we had all gone through. In other words they died out, came to see themselves in all their weakness, then in childlike humility and confession were taken up of God, transformed through the mighty “baptism” in the Spirit. The “old man” died with all his pride, arrogancy and good works. In my own case I came to abhor myself. I begged the Lord to drop a curtain so close behind me on my past that it would hit my heels. He told me to forget every good deed as though it had never occurred, as soon as it was accomplished anything for Him, lest my good works become a snare to me.

We saw some wonderful things in those days. Even very good men came to abhor themselves in the clearer light of God. The preachers died the hardest. But when God got through with them they gladly turned a new page and chapter. That was one reason they fought so hard. Death is not at all a pleasant experience. And strong men die hard.

The testimony of Frank Bartleman is excepted from his book, "How Pentecost Came to Los Angeles." Christian Life Books plans to republish the original book, unedited and with the original title.

This testimony and many others are available in Dr. Martin's book, The True Believers. Click here to order.

To Return to the Testimony Page, click here.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Azusa Street Testimonies

So many today who identify as Pentecostals have never experienced real Pentecost, or else have forgotten what it was like.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
So many today who identify as Pentecostals have never experienced real Pentecost, or else have forgotten what it was like.
very sad but truth!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

That testimony is absolutely amazing and I'd love to read more. Just reading that makes me feel spiritually inadequate.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
That testimony is absolutely amazing and I'd love to read more. Just reading that makes me feel spiritually inadequate.
wow that`s truth! My soul is crying.
No prepared worship, no pre writing preaching , no need for emotional worship nor instruments just the SPIRIT with all that simplicity of the first century pentecostal church!

His name is Frank Bartleman.
even if he was "trinitarian" he had a very nice view of the Godhead.. He did not believe that 3 persons are three distinct personalities like three men but only as human words to describe the God of the bible .He says is like a person who has a body a soul and a spirit. Thats it ,no three Gods,no three heads ,no three personalities..nor three masks (sevilianism)

Last edited by peter83; 02-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter83 View Post
No prepared worship, no pre writing preaching , no need for emotional worship nor instruments just the SPIRIT with all that simplicity of the first century pentecostal church!
From what I can recall from the accounts I have read, people spent time on their faces praying and weeping and seeking God. they literally prayed us into existence.

We would have to lay aside our televisions, computers, cell phones, shopping sprees, wrong attitudes, sin, need for constant noise and entertainment, bitterness, envy, lust, greed, unforgiveness, and seek god with our whole heart until something broke and Spirit could flow through us untainted by the flesh

Hanah praying for a nation that was Icabod, where the word of the Lord was scarce, she prayed until there was prophetic word and kingdom

but now they talk about the third wave, where people want the grace and the gifts of God but not the Spirit of God

so tell me, how do we get there from here?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
From what I can recall from the accounts I have read, people spent time on their faces praying and weeping and seeking God. they literally prayed us into existence.

We would have to lay aside our televisions, computers, cell phones, shopping sprees, wrong attitudes, sin, need for constant noise and entertainment, bitterness, envy, lust, greed, unforgiveness, and seek god with our whole heart until something broke and Spirit could flow through us untainted by the flesh

Hanah praying for a nation that was Icabod, where the word of the Lord was scarce, she prayed until there was prophetic word and kingdom

but now they talk about the third wave, where people want the grace and the gifts of God but not the Spirit of God

so tell me, how do we get there from here?

We have to get a revelation of what is available to us and we have to be hungry for it.

We have been eating Bologna when we have Ribeyes in the fridge.

We have convinced ourselves Bologna is better...takes less effort to prepare than steak..Easier to chew.

We want what's easy.

Not only that...We have forgotten the taste of steak and we don't crave what we don't remember and we don't remember what we haven't experienced.

Reading testimonies like this is like listening to a gourmand describe a sumstuous feast.

It sets our spiritual mouths watering...Even if we have never tasted what is being described we can live somewhat vicariously enough to attempt the recipe used to bring about the feast.

You have to be hungry enough to do the cooking.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I have Bartleman's book "Azusa Street." Very interesting history on the events preceding Azusa Street and thereafter.

The writings of Bartleman, Ryle, Whitfield and McCheyne are convicting.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter83 View Post

His name is Frank Bartleman.
even if he was "trinitarian" he had a very nice view of the Godhead.. He did not believe that 3 persons are three distinct personalities like three men but only as human words to describe the God of the bible .He says is like a person who has a body a soul and a spirit. Thats it ,no three Gods,no three heads ,no three personalities..nor three masks (sevilianism)
Bartleman became Oneness shortly afterward.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

but now they talk about the third wave, where people want the grace and the gifts of God but not the Spirit of God so tell me, how do we get there from here?
I dont know you but i love you man! HAHA
Seriously i was thinking and praying about that. On one hand i think God listen my prayers and questions and i found a church that i see this simplicity
. And i believe there are many churches or people that have this fire (not the emotional but the spiritual) People like us who are hungry for more!
I think with this attitude like you have you are closer to that!
And of course the difficult part ( i find my self TRAPPED in) is my carnality like you just said :" bitterness, envy, lust, greed, unforgiveness" wow How i can really move from here?