Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Not riding the train

Re: House Guest Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I can't remember- I think we may of had family over instead.

We thought it was a dumb thing, I dont care if they did end up having a prayer meeting, good grief they could have ate and then prayed. People are weird.-Lol!
Love the way you say things, LIZ!!!!!!!!!

And I agree with you!!!!!! In the words of Napoleon Dynamite - "Idiot!"
Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Incredible India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Love the way you say things, LIZ!!!!!!!!!

And I agree with you!!!!!! In the words of Napoleon Dynamite - "Idiot!"

Well it's true!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
Elaborate please. How different let's say with a close friend as opposed to an "acquaintance"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Yea, I want to know that to? Does she pick her nose at a friend's house? We have to know these things!
For PO...

Well, for instance, this summer I stayed for two weeks with my daughters soon to be in-laws. I had never met them before I arrived. So, especially at the beginning of the trip, I was extremely careful to not impose in any way, always made sure I was 100% ready for the day before going into the kitchen in the morning, asked for permission to get a drink, etc.

By the end of the trip I felt comfortable enough, and felt like I knew them well enough to not always have my hair completely done, felt comfortable enough to get a drink or snack for myself if I needed to, and so on.

I think some of those things depend on the level of acquaintance, how each house operates, and your reading the vibe of the family. I have aunts that I would never open their refrigerator without asking, and others that I would feel free to get whatever I needed without asking.

I think you have to be sensitive to the rules of the house that you are in. Some friends I stay with, we hang out in our pajamas, others I would not feel comfortable to do that with.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post
For PO...
I'm sorry!!! I didn't mean to tell!!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

Well it's true!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post
For PO...

Well, for instance, this summer I stayed for two weeks with my daughters soon to be in-laws. I had never met them before I arrived. So, especially at the beginning of the trip, I was extremely careful to not impose in any way, always made sure I was 100% ready for the day before going into the kitchen in the morning, asked for permission to get a drink, etc.

By the end of the trip I felt comfortable enough, and felt like I knew them well enough to not always have my hair completely done, felt comfortable enough to get a drink or snack for myself if I needed to, and so on.

I think some of those things depend on the level of acquaintance, how each house operates, and your reading the vibe of the family. I have aunts that I would never open their refrigerator without asking, and others that I would feel free to get whatever I needed without asking.

I think you have to be sensitive to the rules of the house that you are in. Some friends I stay with, we hang out in our pajamas, others I would not feel comfortable to do that with.
We were taught to never go into someone's fridge without asking ... didn't matter if they were family.

Also, you never sat on a young lady's bed as a male.

Last edited by DAII; 03-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
What are some of the do's and don'ts that stand out to you, and in your experience, when hosting an out of town guest at your home?

What are some things a courteous house guest should do and not do, as well, in your opinion?

Love to hear some of the stories !!!

As Ben Franklin once said, "Fish and visitors stink after three days. ...
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 03-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What are some of the do's and don'ts that stand out to you, and in your experience, when hosting an out of town guest at your home?
We give our guests full access to all amenities, first and foremost. I keep the fridge stocked with plenty of snacks and show them where they are. I usually ask ahead of time if there are any foods they can't (or won't) eat, and make sure we have things they like available. I leave the guest account open on the computer. I make sure they have lots of towels, and leave samples of toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. in a basket on the bathroom sink. I like to put fresh flowers in the bedroom, and lay out some good magazines, books and the newspaper. If they're going to be out late, I leave a key under the mat so no one has to be woken up for them to get in. (And I wouldn't impose any kind of "curfew" unless the guest was a minor.) We let guests know if we're doing anything fun, such as going to the zoo, park, out to eat or shopping--but we don't try to make them go along with whatever we have planned. Our house is a place to relax--if you want to go in the back bedroom and sleep all afternoon, that's fine with me.

When someone stays in our house, they're part of the family, and should have all the same privileges.

Quote:
What are some things a courteous house guest should do and not do, as well, in your opinion?

Love to hear some of the stories !!! [/B]
With all that said: Complaining about food that is served--big no-no. If you fix yourself a midnight snack, at least be kind enough to put the plates in the sink and return perishables to the fridge. And don't make your host or hostess pick up your dirty clothes. My washer and dryer are free for guests' use, but I will NOT pick up someone else's dirty underwear or socks. The biggest one - Accessing inappropriate sites on the computer is NOT something you should do at someone else's house. (Or anywhere, for that matter, but PLEASE don't leave a nasty history trail on OUR computer.)

Another annoying offense is when a guest turns on a movie or TV show that isn't child-friendly while my children are in the room.

One evangelist that stayed at my parent's house one time kept making me run all kinds of errands for him (and with him--to the cleaners, etc.). I was about 15 or 16...anyway, when he got ready to leave, he asked me to take his luggage to the car, and I had had enough. I told him to carry his own luggage and stalked off. So--please don't expect your host family to be your servants. It's one thing to appreciate service when it's offered; it's another to expect it.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

This is an area I think Western Christians could improve upon. Hospitality in the NT was expected, a regular part of culture. Always hosting travelers and fellow brothers/sisters.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
We were taught to never go into someone's fridge without asking ... didn't matter if they were family.

Also, you never sat on a young lady's bed as a male.

Well, I would never go without asking, but some people I wouldn't even ask, I wouldn't feel that comfortable!

AND, I wasn't even allowed to have a boy in my room!