Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Satan and Our Pursuit for Self

Had an interesting thought today. It's no coincidence that the spirit of satan is a self-exalting spirit at the detriment of everyone else around, and our fleshliness in seeking self pleasure and indulgence is his bait, after knowing that the serpent was cursed to eat dust of the ground from which our flesh was made.

I had to deal with an adultery issue in our church, and the adulterers kept pointing to their needs and how they escape with the other due to pressures and they're the only friends they really have to talk about God. Whew! What a twisted reasoning. Get together for spiritual reasons and commit adultery.

Anyway, it made me stop and think. I told them to see what they're doing to their families who don't serve God because they see hypocrisy, and how they're feeding that rejection of God in these people. But, they said, they need someone to hold them now since I told them to separate and not so much as see each other alone - ever.

Satan feeds from the self part of us that seeks to please self. Self does have needs! We need others and we need care. But God supplies that, anyway, if we put others before ourselves. Denying self causes God to in turn bless us. So, it's God's way of ensuring we're not fodder for the devil with all our self-interest, and yet we still get what we need as individuals.

Seek first the kingdom, not ourselves, and God will ensure the needs for self will be met!

Deny self, take up the cross and follow Jesus, and we shall lose this self-life, and yet be restored with life eternal which more than satisfies our needs!

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 05-06-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Re: Satan and Our Pursuit for Self

Sadly that is probably not over.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." (I John 2:16)

It's ALL about the flesh! Outside of our fleshly bodies we could all be perfect Christians, I'm sure. Conquering the desires of the flesh is a task that will only end with its death!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:48 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

And this is precisely why we must crucify the flesh daily. Satan will tempt us in whatever we are weakest in, but you're right that it all comes down to 'me, me, me'.

My pastor recently did a Bible study, where he discussed the three different spirits we could be possessed by.

God - In other words, the Holy Ghost. Obviously, this is our ultimate goal as Christians.

Satan - Demonic spirits in general. These can be cast out, but if the Holy Spirit doesn't replace that demonic one, then they will end up with 7 worse than they had before.

Self - The worst spirit to be possessed of, because it cannot be cast out. This is when the Bible says they were turned to their own lusts. They become possessed by their own spirit of self.

I'm paraphrasing his words a bit, as I don't recall the specifics of his notes, but that's essentially how he put it.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafon View Post
"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." (I John 2:16)

It's ALL about the flesh! Outside of our fleshly bodies we could all be perfect Christians, I'm sure. Conquering the desires of the flesh is a task that will only end with its death!
Amen.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
And this is precisely why we must crucify the flesh daily. Satan will tempt us in whatever we are weakest in, but you're right that it all comes down to 'me, me, me'.

My pastor recently did a Bible study, where he discussed the three different spirits we could be possessed by.

God - In other words, the Holy Ghost. Obviously, this is our ultimate goal as Christians.

Satan - Demonic spirits in general. These can be cast out, but if the Holy Spirit doesn't replace that demonic one, then they will end up with 7 worse than they had before.

Self - The worst spirit to be possessed of, because it cannot be cast out. This is when the Bible says they were turned to their own lusts. They become possessed by their own spirit of self.

I'm paraphrasing his words a bit, as I don't recall the specifics of his notes, but that's essentially how he put it.
Very good words!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:27 PM
On the road less traveled

I was just talking with a friend yesterday about this very issue. That our greatest enemy in the world is not satan, but is ourselves. We need to acknowledge the fact that the lusts of the flesh self destruct, and when we give in to desires and lusts of the flesh, it always leads us away from God, and not to Him.

Picking up your cross = denying self. Pretty simple equation in one sense, but most difficult to put into practice - without putting on the mind of Christ daily.

I pray that the people you are counseling with see the error of their ways, and the fact that the lust of the flesh is controlling them, even by masking it with "good things" such as getting together for spiritual reasons. Flesh usually finds something "good" to sugar coat lust with.

Denying self, and obeying Christ are the two most difficult things a Christian believer encounters. Yet, He has given us the tools to overcome by putting on the mind of Christ daily.

Thanks for another wonderful post shared, that I hope won't "die" because of lack of controversy... lol!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Not riding the train

Excellent thread!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Excellent thread!
I agree!

9This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.
10For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Did they repent?

Adultery in the church in order to be closer to God... good grief.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf