Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

Re: Jesus fulfillment of the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
OK I am being dragged into this, I shall only spend a couple of rounds on this issue, since I am really busy with other things at this moment.

The Ten Commandments were audibly spoken by God himself, while the rest of the Law of Moses was only spoken or given to Moses.

The Ten Commandments were written in tables of stone, while the rest of the law of Moses was written in scrolls.

The Jews themselves had a division they called the Ten Commandments, "Aseret ha-Dibrot", which clearly set the Ten Commandments apart from the Law of Moses.

In the New Testament, Jesus himself quoted the Ten Commandments many times.

Jesus reaffirmed that the greatest commandment was the first.
"Hear oh Israel the Lord thy God is one, and you shall love the Lord...."
Jesus did not say, oh by the way, this commandment will be done away with.

If the Ten Commandments have been done away with then we no longer need to believe that God is one, or love him as he commanded.

If the Ten commandments are done away with, now we can commit adultery, we can murder, we can steal, we can dishonor our parents and so on. For where there is no law there can be no transgression for a transgression is the breaking of the Law.

I could go on and on for about 10 pages more, but this should be enough to give a hint of how I believe and teach.

Brother, if I may reply to your post here, our "replacement" for the commandments that are "written in stone" is this.....Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Now, if we refuse to walk in the spirit as needed here....16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law......If you are led of the Spirit, you will bear the fruit of the Spirit and will need no longer to be ruled by the Law.

....Then, if we backslide, the Law applies to us because of this(our old man leaves the cross and takes control).....19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

If we are not walking in the Spirit, led by the Spirit and bearing the fruit of the Spirit, we then need a set of written laws(to keep us in line). We are out of control spiritually and are bordering on, if not completely falling back under the Law.

Last edited by Sean; 09-14-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

2 Cor 3:3 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you? 2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: 3 forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
Notice that Paul is saying the Saints are the epistles now...not the 10 commandments. Look what must be done now with the 10....

4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5 not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; 6 who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, : but of the spiritfor the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 7 [U]But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones,(10 commandments) was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away
The "glorious" 10 commandments were to be done away.

: 8 how shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory(10 commandments), much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.(the GLORY of the Spirit overshadows the commandments as if they never had ANY glory here)
11 For if that which is done away(10 commandments) was glorious(past tense), much more that which remaineth is glorious.

If we are WALKING IN THE SPIRIT, we are subject to the PRESENT GLORY....if not, then we are subject to the FORMER GLORY, which was done away...(only for the believer, not the sinner though) The sinner is not "in the Spirit" like we are, and therefore under the 10 commandments.

Last edited by Sean; 09-14-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieA27 View Post
Actually, (if I may jump in here right quick then jump back out), when Jesus was asked what commandments that we were to keep, he only named 6 out of the 10:

Matt 19: 16-19
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

And when asked what are the first commandment He only named these two:

Mark 12:28-31
28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

There was no mention of any Sabbath day or such for us to keep in this generation.
I agree. Jesus never told anyone to keep the sabbath day but said he was the sabbath in essence. "I will give you rest."

I still have to answer flamingsword. Have not forgotten!

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I agree. Jesus never told anyone to keep the sabbath day but said he was the sabbath in essence. "I will give you rest."

I still have to answer flamingsword. Have not forgotten!
Dear Bro Blume

I really wish I had the time to engage in this debate, but it would take too long, however I will keep it in mind for a later project.

Right now I am engaged in a number of projects that I want to finish.

ironically one of the projects is to create a series of Spanish studies on the 70 weeks of Daniel, and preterist prophetic interpretation, I will probably be ripping off, sorry I meant to say borrowing most of the studies from you with my personal observations added.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
Dear Bro Blume

I really wish I had the time to engage in this debate, but it would take too long, however I will keep it in mind for a later project.

Right now I am engaged in a number of projects that I want to finish.

ironically one of the projects is to create a series of Spanish studies on the 70 weeks of Daniel, and preterist prophetic interpretation, I will probably be ripping off, sorry I meant to say borrowing most of the studies from you with my personal observations added.
No problem, brother. Have at it! Use all you want! Blessings!

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."