Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Shooting At Virginia Tech-33 Dead!

Shooting at Virginia Tech this morning 21 dead!
Sad times we live in.
Can hear gunshots as they report over the radio.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

12 Dead, 22 injured.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Shooter is killed as well.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Ron,

This is a tragedy. Can you imagine being a parent with a child there waiting for a phone call to know if your child is alive or dead.

(BTW- You need to go to advanced editing and correct your spelling of "shooting" in the title to this thread)
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Ron,

This is a tragedy. Can you imagine being a parent with a child there waiting for a phone call to know if your child is alive or dead.

(BTW- You need to go to advanced editing and correct your spelling of "shooting" in the title to this thread)
No I couldn't imagine.
It must be heartbreaking.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 AM
My Family!

Gunman kills 21 on Virginia Tech campus By SUE LINDSEY, Associated Press Writer
7 minutes ago

A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman was killed but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

The name of the gunman was not released.

Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

On Monday, one student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

After the shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Fox News is reporting that ABC news is reporting on their website that the count is now up to 25 dead and may rise.

Of course in the early stages of a tragedy like this there is a lot of misreporting.

I just heard that the killer was looking for his girlfriend and lined people up before shooting them. Sounds like a nut and not a terrorist act.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Now they are saying 32 dead and 15 wounded. I hope they are wrong and it is not this bad.

UP till now the worst college massacre was in Austin in the early 1960's when Whitman shot and killed 16 people (triva - I played a shot student in the 1975 TV movie about this)
Old 04-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

ABC News is now saying 29 dead. This is horrible!!

http://abcnews.go.com/
Old 04-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Not riding the train

My God have mercy!!!!