Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

View Poll Results: Are sins forgiven at repentance or baptism?
Repentance 59 81.94%
Baptism 12 16.67%
Unsure 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Re: New Doctrine Emerges: NOT Forgiven at Repentan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Ah, yes, the knife cuts both ways.

According to this theory, the Holy Ghost cannot dwell in an unclean vessel, therefore every time someone sins the HG has to leave, then we repent, and the HG comes back in and so on and so forth.
Not when you understand Justification and the New Birth... not just give it lip service.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Remission is forgiveness.

I don't have time to post the verses until tonight. So I'll have to get back with you later. Basically, when our sins are forgiven/remitted is when the blood of Christ is applied. No blood, no forgiveness.

Dan, I can only stay for a few minutes. I'll be back on and off today and then perhaps have more time tonight to hash this out with you.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Not when you understand Justification and the New Birth... not just give it lip service.
Tell me about it then.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Remission is forgiveness.

I don't have time to post the verses until tonight. So I'll have to get back with you later. Basically, when our sins forgiven/remitted is when the blood of Christ is applied. No blood, no forgiveness.

Dan, I can only stay for a few minutes. I'll be back on and off today and then perhaps have more time tonight to hash this out with you.
Look forward to it. *sharpens iron*
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Ah ... yes .... the Cornelius dilemma ... nor what is quickened to life still be dead. (Acts 10, Romans 8)
So I am wrong, is that what you are saying?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 09-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
Now will one of you great theologians elaborate well and be specific and tell me what the difference is between FORGIVENESS and REMITTANCE?
There is none.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
Actually, whether admitted or not ... forget all this stupid arguing about where the blood is applied.

To a "three-stepper", your sins are not forgiven until you've spoken in tongues.

If not ... why not?

Will any three stepper say you can go to heaven without speaking in tongues?

Well, if your sins are forgiven, remitted or whatever in the first or second step but you never take the third ...

Doesn't THAT mean all your sins are forgiven but you can't go to heaven because you haven't spoken in tongues?

To keep from being placed in a ridiculous position, a "three stepper" must believe your sins are not forgiven until you've spoken in tongues - that in itself being a ridiculous position.

Once again ... if not - why not?
That's a load of garbage. Thanks for telling me what I DON't believe. Any more strawman arguments you'd like to win?

*edit* Sorry, that was a little bit rude of me. I get annoyed when people tell me what I believe. I don't believe the baptism of the Holy Spirit has anything to do with sins being forgiven. I really think you're setting up a strawman argument. I've never heard anyone preach or teach that sins aren't forgiven until you've spoken in tongues.

Most "three steppers" will avoid being the judge of a person's eternal destination. So you may not get many takers, except bro Elpey, who will come right out and say someone is going to hell if they don't speak in tongues. I believe the only sign that is given for a believer to know he/she has received the baptism of the Holy Spirit (ie: the Spirit of Christ) is speaking in tongues. We don't seek to speak in tongues but for Jesus to fill us with the Holy Spirit...tongues just lets us know when it has happened. Tongues are not a be all and end all in and of itself.

But since you were in the UPC for a number of years, I would hope you know what tongues are a sign of....the infilling of the Spirit and without the Spirit of Christ Rom 8:9-11 you are none of his nor are we part of the body of Christ. 1 Cor 12:13 If you are calling this a ridiculous position then I suggest you are calling the God's plan to regenerate mankind ridiculous as well.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

I believe we make being saved way to difficult.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
I believe we make being saved way to difficult.
Exactly.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Y'all are making this harder than it is. The blood of Jesus Christ is applied when we repent (turn away from) our sins. That is when we are forgiven of our sins.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV