Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

My Pastor Preach on Tithing - Faulty Methodology

Yesterday I endured a sermon my pastor taught regarding tithing.

We all know the Israelites tithed of their personal possessions. Therefore, I can’t comprehend how he utilized Abram’s tithe to reinforce tithing.

We know that Abram kept nothing he acquired from the spoils of war.

Genesis 14:24 clearly indicates:
“I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me--to Aner, Eshkol and Mamre. Let them have their share."

You don’t need a theology degree to conclude that Abram didn’t keep anything for himself. Therefore, Abram couldn't have tithed from his personal possession as the Israelites were instructed.

Utilizing Abram's tithing example to reinforce New Testament tithing is stupid at best. According to Abram’s example, modern day preaching suggests that if I burglarize a few homes, I must tithe 10% of the stolen goods.

My pastor then said, “Abram must have acquired this practice from God, where else would he get it from”

Uhhhhh……Try reading up on the Arabic War Customs. It was a tradition that the victor tithed 10% of the spoils of war to the neighboring king.

My pastor then utilized Genesis 28:22 to reinforce modern day tithing because of Jacob's tithe:
“and[g] this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”

However, my pastor failed to mention the proceeding scriptures to Genesis 28:22. My pastor states that Jacob knew the mandate of tithing and we should too.

Let me inject something here. Jacob was a descendant of Abram, correct? Abram was Isaac’s father, and Isaac was Jacob’s father. Well, if Abram was aware of pre-Mosaic tithing, wouldn’t Abram have instilled this practice into Isaac, and Isaac into Jacob?

Let’s look at the scripture my pastor skipped. Genesis 28:20-22

20) Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear
21) so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the LORD[f] will be my God
22 and[g] this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”

Well well…. Would you look at that? Jacob made vow! Jacob bargained with God about tithing. Notice Jacob telling God, basically, if you bless me, then I’ll give you a tenth.

The interesting part is that god accepted Jacob’s terms. Here are a few comments to ponder.

1)If tithing were pre-mosaic, Jacob would have never bargained about tithing with God.
2)God accepted Jacob’s terms, yet we read that God was mad at the Israelites in Malachi 3:8 for robbing god in tithes and offerings?
3)So you’re saying God was okay with Jacob robbing Him of tithes and even allowed Jacob to tithe according to Jacob’s terms? Not only did God agree to Jacob's terms, but god blessed Jacob too. So we read that God condemned the Israelites in Malachi 3:8 for robbing Him of tithes, but he was okay with Jacob doing it?
5)Why didn’t he condemn Jacob as he condemned the Israelites in Malachi?

Someone please enlighten me regarding the two situations above. If you can't comment anything interesting about to two situations I posted above, or if you can't answer my questions, perform a study and then respond to my comments. I'm getting tired of listening to robots.

Last edited by BrainWashed; 03-20-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: My Pastor Preach on Tithing - Faulty Methodolo

It wasn't just any Israelites condemned for not robbing God in Malachi 3:8.

It was the Levites who had taken the tithe from the people and misused it.

Malachi 3:8 specifically addresses them.

It crazy that preachers supposedly fulfilling the role of modern day Levites would use a scripture used by God to punish their predecessors and use it to crack the whip on those that were taken advantage of in Malachi 3:8.

Context Context Context
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Why is this your pastor if you disagree with such an issue so strongly? It is not good to bash your own pastor, even if he is wrong. You spoke quite condescendingly about him. I think it is an unwise post the way you worded this.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Why is this your pastor if you disagree with such an issue so strongly? It is not good to bash your own pastor, even if he is wrong. You spoke quite condescendingly about him. I think it is an unwise post the way you worded this.
Forum Troll, posts to get a rise out of people.

Whoever this is, they may already have their pastor's head stuffed and mounted on the wall over their computer.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Forum Troll, posts to get a rise out of people.

Whoever this is, they may already have their pastor's head stuffed and mounted on the wall over their computer.
EvaBen,

Forum troll? What great substance you have to offer. I'm assuming you might be one of those "robots?"
Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Mfblume,

I'm there for personal reasons I can't disclose.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainWashed View Post
Mfblume,

Then why complain about a sermon?

Are you an elder in your congregation? Did you speak to an elder about the sermon? Did you speak to the pastor about the sermon?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Then why complain about a sermon?

Are you an elder in your congregation? Did you speak to an elder about the sermon? Did you speak to the pastor about the sermon?
I've spoken to the pastor who always dances around my questions. I have never been able to receive a direct answer, just as nobody here yet addressed my post.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainWashed View Post
Mfblume,

Oh but of course, how convenient that you are in the congregation on a secret mission.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Oh but of course, how convenient that you are in the congregation on a secret mission.
Evan Ben,

How about you address my comments. I would love to read your explanation.