Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Banned

Re: Timmy Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
there's a lot of Apostolic Texans on this here board. lol
Well we non-apostolics will do our best to not get them dirty
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
My 4 favorite posters are Timmy, Marcbee, Gnostic Bishop, and Walks in Islam. LOL Love you guys.
If it wasn't for you guys, my faith wouldn't grow deeper in Jesus. It takes adversity for faith to grow and every bad thing each of you have said about Christ is about the same as satan trying to attack my love for God. Jesus has died for me and for these posters to say otherwise is like another lie from satan. I will always be grateful to each of you for showing me why it is so important to love God and not always look to "logic" but FAITH (unfortunately for you guys faith and logic do not always reflect truth). I do not have to prove anything to anyone for my faith and will always love God. So, thank you guys for being a part of this forum, I wasn't being facetious when I said I love you. My hope and prayer is that you can one day look through logic to find deeper faith for every man is given an amount of faith. Peace to all of you.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
If it wasn't for you guys, my faith wouldn't grow deeper in Jesus. It takes adversity for faith to grow and every bad thing each of you have said about Christ is about the same as satan trying to attack my love for God. Jesus has died for me and for these posters to say otherwise is like another lie from satan. I will always be grateful to each of you for showing me why it is so important to love God and not always look to "logic" but FAITH (unfortunately for you guys faith and logic do not always reflect truth). I do not have to prove anything to anyone for my faith and will always love God. So, thank you guys for being a part of this forum, I wasn't being facetious when I said I love you. My hope and prayer is that you can one day look through logic to find deeper faith for every man is given an amount of faith. Peace to all of you.
And thank you for reminding me that the things you believe are illogical. .
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
And thank you for reminding me that the things you believe are illogical. .
Not everything of faith is illogical, but thanks for your reply.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I, for one, don't think God is stupid.

Which god, Timmy? Your own kind of non-described god, or one of the gods described in someone's book? I wasn't aware of that (about you.)

Deeply JN Apostolic: 1978-1999.
Happily agnostic/atheist 2011 to present.

Good news! The gospel boils down to, "Love me
or I will destroy you." --A god.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Don't ask.

QUOTE=MarcBee;1341790]Which god, Timmy? Your own kind of non-described god, or one of the gods described in someone's book? I wasn't aware of that (about you.)

[/QUOTE]

It's my deistic leaning talking. I think the real God would be extremely intelligent. If he wrote a book, why would it be ambiguous and so "flexible" that a thousand different contradictory doctrines could be derived from it?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 11-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess you meant this as a light-hearted jab, and (if so) I'll take it as such. But it does point to a serious issue: the claim that we agnostics and atheists are, in fact, looking for excuses. As if it's a given that we humans are required, by some kind of divine law, to be believers. Anyone who disobeys that decree must find an excuse. Or must (vainly) try to find one.

Nope.

Thought experiment.
A trustworthy friend of mine calls to say he has a gift for me awaiting in his backyard, and if I'll just come and get it, it's mine to sell or keep. He can't wait for me to arrive, and so he spills the beans. "It's a real, live, jet black, three-horned unicorn." I question, "But wait, I thought unicorns had one horn by definition, and should be white, and are only known in mythology."

"Do you want my gift or are you going to argue?"

"Yes, I do! What a find! I'll be right over."

I arrive to find a huge wooden box in his backyard. But I'm told I can't look inside, but have to trust his word that the three horned unicorn is inside. We start to argue. He explains that THIS particular animal is sometimes invisible and transcendent, but there are other ways to "know" it's there. "Do you want to get rich or not?" I explain of course I want to get rich, but before I make arrangements to rent a crane and a semitrailer to transport the box containing the unicorn, I need some demonstrable evidence, and that's only fair. He gets mad, "You're just looking for excuses!"

We parted ways, of course, and I still sometimes ponder my "excuses."

Deeply JN Apostolic: 1978-1999.
Happily agnostic/atheist 2011 to present.

Good news! The gospel boils down to, "Love me
or I will destroy you." --A god.

Last edited by MarcBee; 11-01-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
QUOTE=MarcBee;1341790]Which god, Timmy? Your own kind of non-described god, or one of the gods described in someone's book? I wasn't aware of that (about you.)

It's my deistic leaning talking. I think the real God would be extremely intelligent. If he wrote a book, why would it be ambiguous and so "flexible" that a thousand different contradictory doctrines could be derived from it?[/QUOTE]

LOL, I think (imo) that even if God Himself wrote a book, that people would still argue about it.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
It's my deistic leaning talking. I think the real God would be extremely intelligent. If he wrote a book, why would it be ambiguous and so "flexible" that a thousand different contradictory doctrines could be derived from it?
LOL, I think (imo) that even if God Himself wrote a book, that people would still argue about it.[/QUOTE]

I think you are on to something...

Sometimes an imperfect tool is better than a perfect one if the imperfect tool is easier to learn how to use.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post

I think you are on to something...

Sometimes an imperfect tool is better than a perfect one if the imperfect tool is easier to learn how to use.
Yeah. If.

Why am I not surprised?