Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM
My Family!

PO - - Can Rick Perry do the job?

I would vote for him in a heartbeat- - I do hope he runs!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
crakjak

Re: PO - - Can Rick Perry do the job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Contrary to the critics, Rick Perry has done an admirable job as governor of the State of Texas. He is the longest governing governor in the state's history, he must be doing something right, we continue to elect him.

So, with the experience of governing the second largest state in the US, yes he could do the job.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

I am not PO but I live in Texas and I think he likely can do the job.... however, there are some things that A. Give me pause and B. will be a problem for him.

First Google Texas Trans Corridor. Perry was for this and it was a boondoggle. basically there was an attempt to strong arm and take a huge amount of land away from citizens to build a road from Mexico to Oklahoma or Kansas or some such. It hurt Perry and will be a source of irritation to the right if he wins the nomination.

I was against Perry and this and it makes him look like a "globalist". That is a dirty word to the conservative/independent/Tea Party people.

Second, Perry pushed really hard for a plan to force girls to be vaccinated for HPV. This backfired HUGELY and he got a serious black eye as christian conservatives and privacy people joined forces against him.

Liberals also attacked and suggested he was helping out "big Pharma".

These are the very real negatives for Perry. I voted against him the first time around (voting for a third party) because I felt he was an empty suit and too "big government" at the same time.

however, Texas has been very pro-business and has suffered far less than other states in this recession. Texas is also very much doing the hard work of responsible governing right now by cutting budgets because of recession impact. We aren’t acting stupid like the feds and states like California and spending what we don’t have.

These are HUGE pluses for Perry.

In the end, he has the charisma to get notice and he has a track record that will be a big plus.

the one thing I just don’t know is does Perry have the intellect to stand up to this challenge? Not sure on this point....
Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Girl! I am going to have to find you a good 'ol Texas boy! 'Cause I have not forgotten the photo you posted of Gov. Perry and gushing over him. You know that man looks good in Wranglers!

This is probably the best written assessment of Gov. Perry by Michael Reagan:

The Reagan Report News
The Dark Horse Who Could Win It All - The Most Reaganesque
05/26/2011

If you were to compile a list of attributes that could make a dark horse Republican candidate the next President of the United States it might look something like this:
  • Raised on a ranch in a 60's family of politically active, conservative Democrats
  • An Eagle Scout whose son would also earn that same distinction
  • A former Air Force officer and pilot of multi-engine, tactical aircraft
  • A successful cotton farmer
  • Married to his childhood sweetheart, a registered nurse, with two children
  • Served in his state legislature as a Democrat
  • Named by a leading state newspaper as one of the state's most effective legislators
  • A conservative Democrat who became a Republican in 1989
  • Elected state agriculture commissioner in 1990
  • Re-elected state agriculture commissioner in 1994 by huge margin
  • Elected his state's first ever Republican lieutenant governor in 1998
  • Ascended to the office of governor in 2000 when his boss got a promotion
  • Re-elected to the governorship in 2002, 2006 and 2010
  • Now the most senior, longest-serving most experienced governor in the U.S.
  • The widely-respected current chairman of the Republican Governor's Association
  • A fiscal conservative who has built the most prosperous state economy in America
  • A social conservative and outspoken proponent of limited federal government powers
  • A tall, lean, ruggedly handsome and articulate man with a lovely and gracious first lady

Last time around, American voters threw caution to the winds and elected as president a man with a dubious past, dubious friends and dubious qualifications to lead, whose sole attraction was his ability to make pleasing but empty promises on a teleprompter. Look at where that's gotten us. Now look at the above résumé and tell me you don't think this country could use a leader with all that executive experience and that long track record of success. Think about it: we have a president who can't run on his record and we could pit against him a man who could do exactly that, with a record that is unequaled anywhere else in the American political spectrum

From what I read here at American Thinker and elsewhere, I believe America is starved for leadership and here we have a conservative Republican chief executive who has it in spades. Conservatives, Republicans and independents should be praying that this man will step forward and declare his candidacy for president. Look at that list one more time and tell me a man like this isn't what this country needs to lead us out of the quagmire Obama and the Democrats have led us into.

This man is Rick Perry, Governor of Texas and Chief Executive Officer of the nation's most successful state economy, a true fiscal and social conservative and a strong proponent of states' rights and limited federal intrusion into our lives: the dark horse who could win it all.

MICHAEL REAGAN STATEMENT: Gov. Rick Perry is the "Most Reaganesque" of all potential candidates (besides Michael Reagan).

http://www.reagan.com/news/?the-dark...esque-566.html

If he's done a whole lot for the illegal immigration problem, they sure don't give press to it. That is my only negative thing and it's important to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Second, Perry pushed really hard for a plan to force girls to be vaccinated for HPV. This backfired HUGELY and he got a serious black eye as christian conservatives and privacy people joined forces against him.

Liberals also attacked and suggested he was helping out "big Pharma".
I wasn't hugely concerned over this issue because Perry did give the "opt out" option. It's the same scare tactic with the vaccine issue (MMR, etc.) and I just think parents need to have the "opt out" and make the decision for the family. Kudos to Perry for allowing an "opt out".

Don't have time to get into the Texas Trans Corridor. Lots of folks on Facebook don't think it's that big of a deal. They aren't from Texas.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Girl! I am going to have to find you a good 'ol Texas boy! 'Cause I have not forgotten the photo you posted of Gov. Perry and gushing over him. You know that man looks good in Wranglers!

The Reagan Report News
05/26/2011

If you were to compile a list of attributes that could make a dark horse Republican candidate the next President of the United States it might look something like this:
  • Raised on a ranch in a 60's family of politically active, conservative Democrats
  • Named by a leading state newspaper as one of the state's most effective legislators
  • The widely-respected current chairman of the Republican Governor's Association
  • A fiscal conservative who has built the most prosperous state economy in America
  • A social conservative and outspoken proponent of limited federal government powers
  • A tall, lean, ruggedly handsome and articulate man with a lovely and gracious first lady

Last time around, American voters threw caution to the winds and elected as president a man with a dubious past, dubious friends and dubious qualifications to lead, whose sole attraction was his ability to make pleasing but empty promises on a teleprompter. Look at where that's gotten us. Now look at the above résumé and tell me you don't think this country could use a leader with all that executive experience and that long track record of success. Think about it: we have a president who can't run on his record and we could pit against him a man who could do exactly that, with a record that is unequaled anywhere else in the American political spectrum

From what I read here at American Thinker and elsewhere, I believe America is starved for leadership and here we have a conservative Republican chief executive who has it in spades. Conservatives, Republicans and independents should be praying that this man will step forward and declare his candidacy for president. Look at that list one more time and tell me a man like this isn't what this country needs to lead us out of the quagmire Obama and the Democrats have led us into.

This man is Rick Perry, Governor of Texas and Chief Executive Officer of the nation's most successful state economy, a true fiscal and social conservative and a strong proponent of states' rights and limited federal intrusion into our lives: the dark horse who could win it all.

MICHAEL REAGAN STATEMENT: Gov. Rick Perry is the "Most Reaganesque" of all potential candidates (besides Michael Reagan).

If he's done a whole lot for the illegal immigration problem, they sure don't give press to it. That is my only negative thing and it's important to me.
Good write-up for sure!

I bet if he runs he will get more press on the illegal immigration problem.

And, yes, the man can rock jeans and a white shirt!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Good write-up for sure!

I bet if he runs he will get more press on the illegal immigration problem.

And, yes, the man can rock jeans and a white shirt!!
WOOF!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Forever Loved Admin

I agree with Ferd, no surprise huh?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

The Reagan Report News
05/26/2011

We elected Obama. He had a lot of very large white spaces on his resume. His attached list of accomplishments was a blank white page.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
I wasn't hugely concerned over this issue because Perry did give the "opt out" option. It's the same scare tactic with the vaccine issue (MMR, etc.) and I just think parents need to have the "opt out" and make the decision for the family. Kudos to Perry for allowing an "opt out".

Don't have time to get into the Texas Trans Corridor. Lots of folks on Facebook don't think it's that big of a deal. They aren't from Texas.
Pressing, we need to review that. My memory (which could be faulty) is that the "opt out" clause was added after the backlash started.