Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground
Facebook

Notices

The Playground Various word games, and other fun things.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Travel - Vacations

I just realized we don't have a thread or area for travel / vacation posts. I guess this thread can be the start of one.

I love to travel. I first went to Europe the summer before my senior year in High School. It was an amazing 5 week trip that earned me college credit. When I checked into trying to give my kids the same type trip decades later the price was about $5,000 and that for just two weeks not five. I settled for trips to Europe with the family.

To cut to the chase so to speak and bring us to my current situation here is a summary of my situation.

Since Kids have been grown we have started to travel more with a "big" trip every four or five years.

Our last "big" trip was last summer (May 2012) when we took a three week vacation that included a 15 night Transatlantic and Mediterranean cruise departing Miami and ending with four nights in Rome before flying home. This last trip was an amazing one that will be impossible to top. Everything was wonderful from the weather, food, sights, etc.

In our general framework of planning we would not be trying to pull off another big trip until about 2016 (when I had planned to go to Australia). However I have frequent flyer miles that I have to book by January or they will expire. These miles are enough to get my wife and I to or from Europe.

With that in mind I have run across another amazing deal on a 13 night transatlantic crossing. This one leaves Florida next summer and first goes to Nassau Bahama, St. Thomas (US Virigin islands) and St. Maarten before heading across the Atlantic to London.

London is my favorite city in the world and I have not been there since 2006 so the thought of spending a few nights in London at the end of the cruise is very appealing.

To give you an idea of how great a deal this is here are the numbers;

-Cruise $1540.00 total for both of us for 13 night cruise
-$100 cabin credit promo+ $200 cabin credit for being stockholder = $300 (this will cover the tips due at end of cruise)
- Bed & Breakfast we have stayed at before in London has unbelievable rate of just $82 per night including a full cooked breakfast each morning. 4 nights = $328 total
- Airfare London to Middle Tennessee - Free with FF miles but $ 379 total in taxes and fees.
- $2,2,50 total plus food and transport while in London and incidentals. Guesstimated total of $2,750.

While $2,750 is a lot of money it is a bargain for a 17 night cruise / trip to the Caribbean and England.

My wife, being the practical person she is, has stated she thinks we need to do some common sense practical things with money first like getting new windows in our 18 year old house and maybe an awning for the back patio or a deck for the pool. I am trying to figure out a way to do it all to make us both happy. LOL
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Re: Travel - Vacations

Oh man, we went on our 7 day Caribbean cruise two years ago and the whole thing came to about $4500 for the two of us. And for the most part, it was NOT relaxing in the least in that I was not able to do things I normally like to do on a vacation: take my time doing things, drink for free (the drink prices were $$$ & $!). The food was good the first two days but started tasting the same by day 3.

We're planning another week in Kauai next Spring. We should be able to do everything for about $2500.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Oh man, we went on our 7 day Caribbean cruise two years ago and the whole thing came to about $4500 for the two of us. And for the most part, it was NOT relaxing in the least in that I was not able to do things I normally like to do on a vacation: take my time doing things, drink for free (the drink prices were $$$ & $!). The food was good the first two days but started tasting the same by day 3.

We're planning another week in Kauai next Spring. We should be able to do everything for about $2500.
The alternative to the vacation I outlined above was using the FF miles to make another trip to Hawaii. However I only have 60,000 miles and think I need 90,000 to do that and I don't have time to earn them since I don't fly on business anymore and only earn miles through purchases on my AA credit card and when I purchase things or dine out on AA programs.

Last summer on our 15 night cruise by the second week the buffet was very repetitive but the formal evening meals in the dining room were always good and varied enough.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 09-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Good news and bad news. Good news is I have enough frequent stay points that I was able to book a free room that would have cost $210-$220 at a nice hotel in Florida that has a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the cruiseport.

Bad news is that the taxes and fees for my "free" frequent flier tickets for my wife and myself to fly home from London is $379!!!! Also just found out that since we flew from Europe last year on American they have changed the International checked bag limit from two to one with it costing $100 to check a second bag! Going to have to pack light for a 19 day trip!!!

Titus2woman on AF
F