Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I seek prayer and counsel

I truly seek the input of the AFF community on this issue. I apologize that this is not worded better.

My father passed away in June of last year at the age of 85. Several months before he died, I discovered my sister was secretly twisting his arm to cut me out of his will. Sources close to my father informed me that my sister had provided my father with papers to sign. I obtained a lawyer who counseled me to keep quiet for the time being. He suspected that my father was going to make the mistake of changing his will without changing the deed to the home, which would have made the new will void if he died. He and I checked the on-line county records regularly to see if there were any changes to the deed. Interestingly, my dad died suddenly in his sleep before he could file any of the papers my sister had given him, and I thus remained the executor. Not so surprisingly, she smuggled the papers out of his house before I could find them, which was illegal.

Due to the horrible circumstances in my life at the time, I chose not to confront my sister (Heavy load at graduate school, 8 weeks with shingles, knee surgery with 6 weeks on crutches, 1 week in the hospital over a tick bite reaction). Sadly, she lied about my wife as her means to convince my dad that changing the will was necessary. She invented a wild fantasy that my wife was going to divorce me after my dad was gone and give all of his possessions to her family in Mexico. I can no longer withhold expressing disapproval for what happened, especially since my wife and her family were so disrespected.

Our family was always unusual. It was like living in the Bizarro world where everything was opposite. The youngest child was ignored while the middle child was spoiled. In fact, a pastor once told my mom that my dad should not have had sons as having another male in the home seemed to make him feel threatened. He hardly spoke to me until I was a Sophmore in college.

My sister was always coddled. Dad supplemented at least 30% of her income her entire adult life (she’s 54). She has never married or gotten any serious college education. I took a total of 300 dollars from my dad in my entire adult life. Yet, he told friends that made me the executor of his estate because he knew my sister could never handle the responsibility. But I knew when he made the will 15 years ago that she would never settle for a 50-50 split.

I do not seek revenge. I have continued to exhibit a Christian attitude when she comes around. She has no clue that I am aware of any of this. But moving forward, especially as we enter into the phase of the final disposition of my dad’s home (both our names have been on the deed for many years), she needs to understand that treachery will not be tolerated. Unless God does a real work in her heart, I expect her to simply refuse to discuss the matter, much less show remorse. I've often wondered if she realizes that God took my dad to prevent him from making a horrible mistake on her behalf.

Your prayers and counsel are appreciated.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Re: I seek prayer and counsel

Let justice be served. If she is a criminal, she needs to answer for her crimes. Micah 6:8 reads "love mercy", but then says "do justice". Sometimes suffering the justice of the law IS mercy. It sounds like that's what she needs: mercy through justice.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 02-14-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Let justice be served. If she is a criminal, she needs to answer for her crimes. Micah 6:8 reads "love mercy", but then says "do justice". Sometimes suffering the justice of the law IS mercy. It sounds like that's what she needs: mercy through justice.
Thank you. At least one person on here cares.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Thank you. At least one person on here cares.
Just because a person doesn't post a public response, doesn't mean they don't care and aren't praying, brother. Just saying.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Since her plan did not succeed what is there to gain my trying to discuss this with her? From what you have said she has been like this her eintire so at age 50 why would she respond in the proper way to a discussion of this matter? My counsel would be to let it go and ask God to help you forigve and find peace about the matter. Unless I am missing something you should not have to deal with her in the future once the estate is disbursed.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Since her plan did not succeed what is there to gain my trying to discuss this with her? From what you have said she has been like this her eintire so at age 50 why would she respond in the proper way to a discussion of this matter? My counsel would be to let it go and ask God to help you forigve and find peace about the matter. Unless I am missing something you should not have to deal with her in the future once the estate is disbursed.

What I am facing now is her lack of willingness to even discuss the disposition of the house. About a month ago I diplomatically broached the subject of buying out her interest in the estate. She refused. She said she would not even consider selling to me or anyone else until she consulted with "experts". Right after my father's funeral she was going around asking people secretly, "Did my father ever mention anything to you about changing his will?" Included in all that were horrible statements about me and my wife. My lawyer thinks she was fishing for potential witnesses that could testify concerning dad's "intentions", hoping that a judge would grant her ownership based on that. Of course this would never hold up in court, but the fact that she was still attempting to undermine me when she should have been in mourning is very telling. Thus, I think her reference to wanting to consult "experts" points to her still believing there is a way to pull of her scheme. Thankfully, she does not have the financial resources to hire these "experts". Understand, we are talking about a home built in 1938 that is desperate need of upgrades. In fact, if a contractor were to be used, the cost of the repairs would be more than the value of the home and 10 acres of land combined.

When I offered to buy her out, she told me that she has no intention of ever paying rent or having a mortgage, or having a student loan. Thus it seems her plan was to live there as the place fell in around her, never having to worry about buying me out. She simply is out of touch with reality. So for these reasons, I feel I have little choice but to pull out the aces I've had up my sleeve. I respect her rights as half-owner and always have. I pray she will just take the money and go.

Another areas of concern is my children. She's been dropping hints about taking them places lately after ignoring them for months. But my wife is having none of that, and I cannot blame her. I can't get too excited either about sending my kids off with someone who despises their parents and has tried to undermine them, even if it is my sister. Apparently, it never occurred to her that one day her neices will understand what happened and might not feel so warmly towards her. She has given no thought concerning who's going to care for her in her old age.

UUUGGHH!!

Thanks for caring, sharing, and praying.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Do NOT leave your kids unsupervised in her care/control.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 PM
Go Dodgers!

Can you legally sell the property? She sounds horrible

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Do NOT leave your kids unsupervised in her care/control.
Ditto that!

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 02-16-2019, 06:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Can you legally sell the property? She sounds horrible
I would have to ask a judge to order the property to be sold.