Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

Thousands of Veterans Could Lose Insurance:

In the newly released report from the Congressional Budget Office, an estimated 24 million fewer Americans overall would be insured by 2026 under the AHCA, compared to the ACA, mostly because of the rollback of the Medicaid expansion and the individual mandate that requires everyone to purchase health care or pay a tax penalty.

The veteran population would not be exempt from these changes. And that would send many vets back to the overburdened VA—which cannot hire additional workers to help process or care for potential new patients because of a federal hiring freeze implemented by the Trump administration. This would likely leave the thousands who do not qualify for VA care without coverage at all, as insurance becomes unaffordable without the ACA's subsidies. Hundreds of thousands of spouses and children could also lose coverage.
Thousands of Veterans and Their Families Would Lose Insurance Under the AHCA
http://time.com/money/4699647/gop-he...plan-veterans/
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Re: Thousands of Veterans Could Lose Insurance:

Well, I still have A on ignore, but from the thread title I can see where he is going.
I really get it.
A believes that every person who in the US should have insurance.
And he believes that someone else should pay for it.
I would venture that he also believes in a universal guaranteed income for everyone.
And believes that someone else should pay for it.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Registered Saint

I can't comment on all minute details of healthcare. BUT I did read this a few days ago.
They fixed the problem of the tax credit. Or that is my understanding.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...ha-tax-credits
Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
Well, I still have A on ignore, but from the thread title I can see where he is going.
I really get it.
A believes that every person who in the US should have insurance.
And he believes that someone else should pay for it.
I would venture that he also believes in a universal guaranteed income for everyone.
And believes that someone else should pay for it.
Actually, I do believe that everyone in the United States should have health insurance.
And no, I don't believe that someone else should pay for it. I believe that every American should pay into a Single Payer system via taxation for their insurance. A Single Payer system would relieve employers from having to pay up to 70% of an employee's medical bill for in-patient care (that is definitely someone else paying for your care). This cost is so high for some businesses, leaving the United States for Canada or a European country with universal coverage is often cheaper than operating in the United States. Businesses should be focused on business without having to worry about providing employees health care coverage.

For those interested in what Single Payer H.R. 676 is all about, here's an FAQ on the bill:
Single-Payer FAQ:
http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-faq

Last edited by Aquila; 06-21-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple4life View Post
I can't comment on all minute details of healthcare. BUT I did read this a few days ago.
They fixed the problem of the tax credit. Or that is my understanding.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...ha-tax-credits
So if you're eligible for medical care through the Department of Veterans Affairs, but not using those services, you are eligible for health insurance tax credits under the American Health Care Act.

But how does this address the problem? It sounds like they are shifting those eligible to the VA - which cannot hire additional workers to help process or care for potential new patients because of a federal hiring freeze implemented by the Trump administration. Also, this will likely leave the thousands who do not qualify for VA care without any coverage at all, especially as insurance becomes unaffordable without the ACA's subsidies. Hundreds of thousands of spouses and children could also lose coverage. How will tax credits fix this?

Also, the AHCA removes the requirement that Medicaid plans cover essential services, including mental health, substance use, and behavioral health services. How will tax-credits fix this?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
In the newly released report from the Congressional Budget Office, an estimated 24 million fewer Americans overall would be insured by 2026 under the AHCA, compared to the ACA, mostly because of the rollback of the Medicaid expansion and the individual mandate that requires everyone to purchase health care or pay a tax penalty.

The veteran population would not be exempt from these changes. And that would send many vets back to the overburdened VA—which cannot hire additional workers to help process or care for potential new patients because of a federal hiring freeze implemented by the Trump administration. This would likely leave the thousands who do not qualify for VA care without coverage at all, as insurance becomes unaffordable without the ACA's subsidies. Hundreds of thousands of spouses and children could also lose coverage.
Thousands of Veterans and Their Families Would Lose Insurance Under the AHCA
http://time.com/money/4699647/gop-he...plan-veterans/
You should get better, more recent source articles. Yesterday, you posted an article in which Democrat showboat Chris Murphy was tweeting a list of pre-x conditions he claimed would not be covered under AHCA. That was before the pre-x amendment was added to the bill.

Now you're posting an article, also from before the House bill passed, which claims there's a hiring freeze (Trump lifted the freeze in April) and it claims thousands of veterans would lose insurance under AHCA due to tax credits, but it doesn't clarify that many of these aren't eligible anyway, due to the current healthcare laws.

I guess this article is better than Pelosi's whopper that "Seven million" would lose coverage.

"“Seven million veterans will lose their tax credit for their families in this bill.”
— House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), remarks at the Center for American Progress “Ideas Conference,” May 16, 2017""

"""But that 7 million figure also includes people who have other forms of health insurance (for example, Medicaid or through their employer) and therefore are already not eligible to receive a premium tax credit — regardless of whether they’re eligible for VA health care."""

"""Three Pinocchios"""

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.90c3872f53be
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
It sounds like they are shifting those eligible to the VA - which cannot hire additional workers to help process or care for potential new patients because of a federal hiring freeze implemented by the Trump administration.
FALSE. The hiring freeze was lifted in April.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
FALSE. The hiring freeze was lifted in April.
That's a relief.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
You should get better, more recent source articles. Yesterday, you posted an article in which Democrat showboat Chris Murphy was tweeting a list of pre-x conditions he claimed would not be covered under AHCA. That was before the pre-x amendment was added to the bill.

Now you're posting an article, also from before the House bill passed, which claims there's a hiring freeze (Trump lifted the freeze in April) and it claims thousands of veterans would lose insurance under AHCA due to tax credits, but it doesn't clarify that many of these aren't eligible anyway, due to the current healthcare laws.

I guess this article is better than Pelosi's whopper that "Seven million" would lose coverage.

"“Seven million veterans will lose their tax credit for their families in this bill.”
— House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), remarks at the Center for American Progress “Ideas Conference,” May 16, 2017""

"""But that 7 million figure also includes people who have other forms of health insurance (for example, Medicaid or through their employer) and therefore are already not eligible to receive a premium tax credit — regardless of whether they’re eligible for VA health care."""

"""Three Pinocchios"""

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.90c3872f53be
Well, if they're fixing these things, I'm far less worried. I'm still not convinced it will be much better than Obamacare.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, if they're fixing these things, I'm far less worried. I'm still not convinced it will be much better than Obamacare.
I posted back in May when the AHCA passed the House that it was a terrible bill.

The Senate leadership says they're not even looking at the House bill, but instead are writing their own bill. Sen McConnell created a group of 13 GOP Senators to write the bill. It's been held in a locked room and there haven't been any Senate hearings. I don't agree with McConnell's tactics. I don't like that the Senate GOP is trying to push this to a quick vote. I don't like the dumb, artificial timeframe they've created to pass both the healthcare bill and the tax reform bill. IMO, both are too important to rush and need to be done carefully and in as much time as needed to do it right.

But politics is politics. The GOP wants to have these two bills passed so it can brag during the 2018 election about getting big bills passed in Congress. The problem is this could backfire badly for Congress and the POTUS and lead to losses in 2018.

Like with obamacare, one thing most can agree on is that the winner won't be John and Suzie Q Public, but the lobbyists and insurance companies.