Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 06-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Georgia Sees Huge Decrease in Food Stamp Use

Great story about the huge drop in people using food stamps in Georgia. Under obama, welfare enrollment soared. But great news for Georgia residents, who have been able to get out of the hole obama's admin put them in.

"""Georgia is seeing a significant decrease in the number of people receiving food stamps as the improving economy lifts many recipients into new jobs and frees them from the fear of going hungry.
The number of Georgians getting food stamps has dropped by 300,000 from 1.9 million in April 2013 to 1.6 million. That decrease of 16 percent in the federally funded program saves taxpayers tens of millions of dollars monthly."""

"""Maria Chavez is among those Georgians who have dropped food stamps.

She had collected assistance for four years, a single mother supporting two little girls, finding work through a temp agency for part of that time. It was mostly warehouse work, minimum wage. Most of the time she had just enough to get by, and that was fine with her.

Then came a family get-together about a year ago.

“I was the only one there without a job, without the money to contribute,” said Chavez, 25, of Butts County.

That bothered her. She had a moment of clarity about her life.

“I didn’t have the motivation,” she recalled. She felt she’d become complacent about receiving food stamps. She thought to herself, “I got to do better. So I have enough for me and my kids. So I don’t have to depend on the government or anybody.”

That “rough moment,” as she called it, set her on a journey to to push herself harder and find a good job. By the end of last year, she was working as an auditor at a warehouse, making enough money to drop to where she dropped food stamps.

“I feel great,” Chavez said, “My bills are paid. I have more energy.”""

"""Eric Grant is a disabled Air Force vet. The fighting in Iraq — mortar shelling, breathing the smoke from burn pits — left him with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder and post traumatic stress disorder.

When he came home in 2009 he had trouble holding a job. Mental and physical problems, he said. A lot of anger. Most of the time he didn’t want to talk about it.

For years he received only partial VA disability benefits. During that time his wife, Shawanda, suffered a stroke in 2014 that left her bedridden and unable to talk.

Food stamps were in order. The couple and their daughter received about $300 a month for a couple of years.

“It wasn’t a good feeling but I needed it to feed my wife and child,” Grant said. “Your pride kicks in. No one wants to feel like you’re begging.”

The Clayton County resident, who is 46, didn’t give up on trying to improve his life. With financial aid from the Air Force, he received a psychology degree in 2015, but couldn’t find steady work afterward.

His VA benefits increased in August, and he dropped food stamps.

In April Grant’s wife passed away. That made him re-focus his life to “keep moving, keep active, pursue my passion.”

Recently, he was accepted to Clayton State University where he hopes to pursue a career in computer science.

His goal?

“To design computer programs to help people with mental disabilities.”""

Meanwhile, libs are screaming about Trump's plan to cut welfare and get people back to work.

#MAGA

http://www.myajc.com/news/breaking-n...sdQuHrlGblb9J/
Old 06-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Georgia Sees Huge Decrease in Food Stamp Use

thanks for the good report
Old 06-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Banned

I think this is great. Although, I'd like to compare to any increase in use of foodbanks. In Ohio, they made the case that so many were removed from the welfare rolls... but the Foodbanks were being overrun with families desperately seeking assistance.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:09 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I think this is great. Although, I'd like to compare to any increase in use of foodbanks. In Ohio, they made the case that so many were removed from the welfare rolls... but the Foodbanks were being overrun with families desperately seeking assistance.
Your proof of this is?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Your proof of this is?
I'm sure I could google up some news stories that you'd just discount. I could say that my middle name is Michael, and you'd rush to make me prove it, and then you'd claim that my birth certificate wasn't a reliable source. lol

What you don't realize is that your sniveling plea for proof doesn't even grasp my question or address the concern I brought up. I'll explain it for you.

One can report that there are fewer people on the welfare rolls. However, this doesn't mean that people are actually doing better. Food banks, churches, and other charities might report drastic increase in those seeking their assistance for food and necessities. One might even see a rise in homelessness as various programs for veterans and others are cut.

My point is, don't just give each other high fives without looking deeper to ensure that people are actually doing better.

Last edited by Aquila; 06-26-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Banned

And the story comes on the heels of the fact that Georgia could lose nearly $700 million annually in food stamp funds under cuts proposed by the Trump Administration. While I hope all these food stamp recipients have gotten raises, better hours, or good paying jobs (yes, working people qualify for food stamps, in fact, most states have work requirements), I'm not so convinced. What's the statistical data? Are charities starting to see rush for assistance?

What's the whole story?
Georgia faces deep food stamp cuts
http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/ne...34b298acb.html
Old 06-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Banned

I also find it interesting that while Trump wants to cut food stamp programs and "get people back to work"... he stands dead set against a living wage. So, he is essentially forcing people into law paying McJobs. Not real jobs that one can raise a family on. It's not uncommon for a single mom to have to take on two jobs just to make ends meet. Of course, that leaves her little time to actually... be a mom. When that happens, we see increased juvenile crime and truancy. If you remember my testimony, my mom had to do exactly that. And... I got into trouble and started failing school. She got back onto government assistance so that she could crack the whip and get me back online until I was out of high school.

All too often, it's all a conservative shell game.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sure I could google up some news stories that you'd just discount. I could say that my middle name is Michael, and you'd rush to make me prove it, and then you'd claim that my birth certificate wasn't a reliable source. lol

What you don't realize is that your sniveling plea for proof doesn't even grasp my question or address the concern I brought up. I'll explain it for you.

One can report that there are fewer people on the welfare rolls. However, this doesn't mean that people are actually doing better. Food banks, churches, and other charities might report drastic increase in those seeking their assistance for food and necessities. One might even see a rise in homelessness as various programs for veterans and others are cut.

My point is, don't just give each other high fives without looking deeper to ensure that people are actually doing better.
Funny, you always demand sources and proof, so why balk when being asked to provide one yourself? What's wrong, don't have a story of someone you know who's affected by it?

Did you read the article?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
And the story comes on the heels of the fact that Georgia could lose nearly $700 million annually in food stamp funds under cuts proposed by the Trump Administration. While I hope all these food stamp recipients have gotten raises, better hours, or good paying jobs (yes, working people qualify for food stamps, in fact, most states have work requirements), I'm not so convinced. What's the statistical data? Are charities starting to see rush for assistance?

What's the whole story?
Georgia faces deep food stamp cuts
http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/ne...34b298acb.html
I guess you didn't read the article, because that was included in the story.

Sad you can't be happy for at least the two people named in the article who are doing well enough to not be on food stamps anymore.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I guess you didn't read the article, because that was included in the story.

Sad you can't be happy for at least the two people named in the article who are doing well enough to not be on food stamps anymore.
I'm happy for them. It's important to get on one's feet.

I'm just leery when stories like this arise. I like to know that it is parading around a false victory while those in need languish in the shadows.