Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Baptism Question

How about Santa Claus?

Is Claus his last name?
Old 11-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Jesus bar Joseph
Old 11-22-2018, 04:29 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
Your mind, your will and emotions is part of your soul "our expressed, manifested man."

While the heart is part of the spirit "our hidden man."

Psa_4:7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased. - The heart is where gladness occurs.

Psa_10:3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth. - The heart is where the wicked have their desires.

Psa_10:6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.
Psa_10:11 He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.
Psa_10:13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it. - The heart is where thoughts occur.

Psa_13:2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? - The heart is where sorrow is experienced.

Psa_13:5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation. - The heart is what rejoices.

Psa_19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. - The heart is what meditates or contemplates things, ie thinks upon things.

Psa_24:4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. - The heart has moral character.

Psa_25:17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses. - The heart is where trouble is felt, where distress is actually perceived or experienced.

Psa_27:3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. - The heart is where bravery or fear is experienced or perceived.

Psa_28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. - The heart is what trusts, and is also that which rejoices.

Pro_2:2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; - The heart is where understanding occurs.

Pro_2:10 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; - The heart is where wisdom can dwell.

Pro_6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, - The heart is where wicked imaginations and plans take place.

Pro_6:25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids. - The heart is where desire occurs.

Pro_12:25 Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad. - The heart is where depression and melancholy feelings and thoughts occur, but it is made glad by exposure to a good word.

Pro_15:15 All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast. - The heart is where happiness is experienced.

Pro_16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished. - The heart is where pride is experienced.

Pro_16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. - The heart is where decisions and plans are made.

Pro_20:5 Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out. - The heart is where counsel is located.

Pro_23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. - The heart is where thinking takes place.

Pro_23:17 Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long. - The heart is what feels envy.

Gen_6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. - The heart thinks, and is where the imagination resides.

Gen_24:45 And before I had done speaking in mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the well, and drew water: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee. - When you "think to yourself", this takes place in the heart.

Exo_35:5 Take ye from among you an offering unto the LORD: whosoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it, an offering of the LORD; gold, and silver, and brass, - If you are willing to do something, that willingness is in the heart.

Deu_4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else. - If you consider something, it takes place in the heart.

I could go on and on, but I desist. From these and the many other uses of "heart" in Scripture, the term is NOT describing something wholly distinct from the mind, thoughts, or emotions. The heart is "the center", and is distinguished from the outer or visible, physical part of man. As such, the Biblical term "heart" refers to what we nowadays often refer to as "mind, intellect, and emotion". The Bible does not make a distinction between "mind" and "heart", as though the mind is where thoughts and intellectual and emotional operations or experiences occur, and the heart is something else.

The heart describes not only the mind and internal dialogue of an individual, but also the general tenor of their "attitude" or what we might call "vibe". It also describes that which gives direction to a person's life, that which colours and informs their decisions, that which determines the person's moral character as being either upright or perverse, righteous or unrighteous, holy or unholy, obedient or disobedient. It is where moral character resides, because it is what actually makes plans and decisions. It can choose to focus on self pleasure, or on righteousness. It is where thought is perceived and where thinking takes place, where concepts are examined and judged as either desired or rejected.

The heart is often coupled with the soul, as in loving God with all your heart and soul. But the soul is not some particular part of a person, it is in fact the whole person!

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

The word "soul" is often used as a synonym for "a life", just as when we say "A ship has sunk, and all souls were lost." We do not mean everyone lost some immaterial, nebulous, mental thing that floated out of their bodies, we mean they lost their lives. Which in turn doesn't mean anything other than that the people died.

When we read of "all your heart and all your soul", we can easily think of it as being the same as saying "all your heart and all your life" or "all your heart and all your being". It doesn't mean the two things are wholly separable and distinct, but one is part of the other. Just as when we read "all the heart, and all the soul, and all the mind" (Matt 22:37), are we to think the soul and the mind are two separate things? Many say that the soul is the mind, or is what contains the mind, and the heart is something else altogether. But this verse, if it proves a difference between heart and mind, or heart and soul, would also prove the same degree of difference between soul and mind!

Here's another parallel verse:

Mar_12:33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

Here, the categories are heart, understanding, soul, and strength. Strength is ability or actions. The purpose of these strings of terms is not to show major distinctions, but to show intensity and universality, completeness. To love God with the heart, soul, understanding, mind, might, and strength is to love God with everything, nothing left outside, nothing and no part of one's life that is not directed by love towards God.

The term "heart" is a euphemism or metaphor, using the muscle found in your chest to represent something. "Reins" is another Biblical term, and literally refers to the kidneys. The kidneys are used as a metaphor for the same thing. "Bowels" is another term often used by Paul, and literally means guts or intestines. It too is a metaphor, because feelings and nice happy thoughts and a nice rejuvenated attitude often result in nice warm feelings in the belly ("warm fuzzies"). Kidneys is used for the same reason - things taking place in our mind, where we think and "feel" emotions, etc, often result in sensations in the chest, abdomen, and kidney area. This is usually due to hormones and glands responding to and often producing these feelings and attendant thoughts, and those hormones and glands are often sourced in the abdominal area (both front - bowels - and back - reins or kidneys).

So "heart" is not a technical term for some component faculty of the human nature indicating a nebulous non material "spirit" part, but is a metaphor applied to the internal operations of a person's mind, emotions, thoughts, feelings, attitudes, etc.

Man is composed of flesh and spirit. Flesh is biological and physical, it is solid and liquid matter. It is animated or made alive by something called "spirit", which also influences the heart or mind. The heart or mind of a man is produced by spirit animating flesh, as is all the other functions and symptoms of "life". The mind is not a non physical entity utterly separate from the body, it is the result of the union of the body with the spirit. This is proven by the fact that a major blow to the head resulting in brain damage has clearly detectable effects on the mind, emotions, and attitude of the injured person. Also demonstrated by the fact that alcohol and drugs (physical substances that affect the flesh body) produce alterations in the mind, thoughts, and feelings or emotions of a person who ingests them.

Alcohol (and other psychoactive drugs) affect the heart:

Psa_104:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Hos_4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Zec_10:7 And they of Ephraim shall be like a mighty man, and their heart shall rejoice as through wine: yea, their children shall see it, and be glad; their heart shall rejoice in the LORD.

Which proves the heart and the mind are essentially the same thing. Which also proves the heart and mind are biological based, they exist in the flesh, the actual physical or material part of man animated by spirit. Thus, you cannot have mind, thought, emotion, or a human "heart" without the spirit AND the body:

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Cool Re: Baptism Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Psa_4:7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased. - The heart is where gladness occurs.

Psa_10:3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth. - The heart is where the wicked have their desires.

Psa_10:6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.
Psa_10:11 He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.
Psa_10:13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it. - The heart is where thoughts occur.

Psa_13:2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? - The heart is where sorrow is experienced.

Psa_13:5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation. - The heart is what rejoices.

Psa_19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. - The heart is what meditates or contemplates things, ie thinks upon things.

Psa_24:4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. - The heart has moral character.

Psa_25:17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses. - The heart is where trouble is felt, where distress is actually perceived or experienced.

Psa_27:3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. - The heart is where bravery or fear is experienced or perceived.

Psa_28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. - The heart is what trusts, and is also that which rejoices.

Pro_2:2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; - The heart is where understanding occurs.

Pro_2:10 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; - The heart is where wisdom can dwell.

Pro_6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, - The heart is where wicked imaginations and plans take place.

Pro_6:25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids. - The heart is where desire occurs.

Pro_12:25 Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad. - The heart is where depression and melancholy feelings and thoughts occur, but it is made glad by exposure to a good word.

Pro_15:15 All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast. - The heart is where happiness is experienced.

Pro_16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished. - The heart is where pride is experienced.

Pro_16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. - The heart is where decisions and plans are made.

Pro_20:5 Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out. - The heart is where counsel is located.

Pro_23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. - The heart is where thinking takes place.

Pro_23:17 Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long. - The heart is what feels envy.

Gen_6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. - The heart thinks, and is where the imagination resides.

Gen_24:45 And before I had done speaking in mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the well, and drew water: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee. - When you "think to yourself", this takes place in the heart.

Exo_35:5 Take ye from among you an offering unto the LORD: whosoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it, an offering of the LORD; gold, and silver, and brass, - If you are willing to do something, that willingness is in the heart.

Deu_4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else. - If you consider something, it takes place in the heart.

I could go on and on, but I desist. From these and the many other uses of "heart" in Scripture, the term is NOT describing something wholly distinct from the mind, thoughts, or emotions. The heart is "the center", and is distinguished from the outer or visible, physical part of man. As such, the Biblical term "heart" refers to what we nowadays often refer to as "mind, intellect, and emotion". The Bible does not make a distinction between "mind" and "heart", as though the mind is where thoughts and intellectual and emotional operations or experiences occur, and the heart is something else.

The heart describes not only the mind and internal dialogue of an individual, but also the general tenor of their "attitude" or what we might call "vibe". It also describes that which gives direction to a person's life, that which colours and informs their decisions, that which determines the person's moral character as being either upright or perverse, righteous or unrighteous, holy or unholy, obedient or disobedient. It is where moral character resides, because it is what actually makes plans and decisions. It can choose to focus on self pleasure, or on righteousness. It is where thought is perceived and where thinking takes place, where concepts are examined and judged as either desired or rejected.

The heart is often coupled with the soul, as in loving God with all your heart and soul. But the soul is not some particular part of a person, it is in fact the whole person!

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
(Shortened so I could answer)
Except you broke that down very well thank you Brother!

I really only put that because I know that people can never agree on the split of body, soul, and spirit. After all the proof you put I don't understand them not even a percentage of what I thought I did! (But honestly I knew I didn't understand them but even a small percentage anyway!)

I may make a thread on that soon. Because I learned about the Oneness OF God the Lord started talking to me about Body, Soul, and Spirit. And to tell you the truth I still can't find the distinction well of the Soul and Spirit. Which I know the Bible says "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit", but I still don't understand much of the distinction there truthfully.

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:

I really only put that because I know that people can never agree on the split of body, soul, and spirit. After all the proof you put I don't understand them not even a percentage of what I thought I did! (But honestly I knew I didn't understand them but even a small percentage anyway!)

I may make a thread on that soon. Because I learned about the Oneness OF God the Lord started talking to me about Body, Soul, and Spirit. And to tell you the truth I still can't find the distinction well of the Soul and Spirit. Which I know the Bible says "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit", but I still don't understand much of the distinction there truthfully.

We're all students, growing in the grace and knowledge of God, helped along by what each of us supplies, according to the gifts of God.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-23-2018, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

The word "soul" is often used as a synonym for "a life", just as when we say "A ship has sunk, and all souls were lost." We do not mean everyone lost some immaterial, nebulous, mental thing that floated out of their bodies, we mean they lost their lives. Which in turn doesn't mean anything other than that the people died.

When we read of "all your heart and all your soul", we can easily think of it as being the same as saying "all your heart and all your life" or "all your heart and all your being". It doesn't mean the two things are wholly separable and distinct, but one is part of the other. Just as when we read "all the heart, and all the soul, and all the mind" (Matt 22:37), are we to think the soul and the mind are two separate things? Many say that the soul is the mind, or is what contains the mind, and the heart is something else altogether. But this verse, if it proves a difference between heart and mind, or heart and soul, would also prove the same degree of difference between soul and mind!

Here's another parallel verse:

Mar_12:33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

Here, the categories are heart, understanding, soul, and strength. Strength is ability or actions. The purpose of these strings of terms is not to show major distinctions, but to show intensity and universality, completeness. To love God with the heart, soul, understanding, mind, might, and strength is to love God with everything, nothing left outside, nothing and no part of one's life that is not directed by love towards God.

The term "heart" is a euphemism or metaphor, using the muscle found in your chest to represent something. "Reins" is another Biblical term, and literally refers to the kidneys. The kidneys are used as a metaphor for the same thing. "Bowels" is another term often used by Paul, and literally means guts or intestines. It too is a metaphor, because feelings and nice happy thoughts and a nice rejuvenated attitude often result in nice warm feelings in the belly ("warm fuzzies"). Kidneys is used for the same reason - things taking place in our mind, where we think and "feel" emotions, etc, often result in sensations in the chest, abdomen, and kidney area. This is usually due to hormones and glands responding to and often producing these feelings and attendant thoughts, and those hormones and glands are often sourced in the abdominal area (both front - bowels - and back - reins or kidneys).

So "heart" is not a technical term for some component faculty of the human nature indicating a nebulous non material "spirit" part, but is a metaphor applied to the internal operations of a person's mind, emotions, thoughts, feelings, attitudes, etc.

Man is composed of flesh and spirit. Flesh is biological and physical, it is solid and liquid matter. It is animated or made alive by something called "spirit", which also influences the heart or mind. The heart or mind of a man is produced by spirit animating flesh, as is all the other functions and symptoms of "life". The mind is not a non physical entity utterly separate from the body, it is the result of the union of the body with the spirit. This is proven by the fact that a major blow to the head resulting in brain damage has clearly detectable effects on the mind, emotions, and attitude of the injured person. Also demonstrated by the fact that alcohol and drugs (physical substances that affect the flesh body) produce alterations in the mind, thoughts, and feelings or emotions of a person who ingests them.

Alcohol (and other psychoactive drugs) affect the heart:

Psa_104:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Hos_4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Zec_10:7 And they of Ephraim shall be like a mighty man, and their heart shall rejoice as through wine: yea, their children shall see it, and be glad; their heart shall rejoice in the LORD.

Which proves the heart and the mind are essentially the same thing. Which also proves the heart and mind are biological based, they exist in the flesh, the actual physical or material part of man animated by spirit. Thus, you cannot have mind, thought, emotion, or a human "heart" without the spirit AND the body:

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.
Cant remember any better teaching on this. Excellent!
Old 11-23-2018, 07:29 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:

Old 11-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Luke gives a range of baptismal wordings.

In the name of the Lord.

In the name of Jesus Christ.

In the name of Jesus.

If "remission of sins" was important to Luke, it is not seen in his writing.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Luke gives a range of baptismal wordings.

In the name of the Lord.

In the name of Jesus Christ.

In the name of Jesus.

If "remission of sins" was important to Luke, it is not seen in his writing.
THIS is why I will never spend a penny to send anybody to any kind of "Bible College" or "Seminary", no matter whose name is on the campus sign.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
THIS is why I will never spend a penny to send anybody to any kind of "Bible College" or "Seminary", no matter whose name is on the campus sign.
Lol. I think Scott meant to be said in the Baptismal formula. Not that remission of sins the subject itself wasn't important to Luke. He can't mean that cuz he says it in the 1st mention. So I believe he means it's not necessary to be said across the board as a Baptismal formula, for it to be a legit baptism.

I thought that at first when I read what he wrote also, I had to think about it for a second what he was saying.

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!