Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: More on Skirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
we are past Post Modern, we are the Digital Age, *what is truth* depends on who can get the most likes & followers on facebook and twitter.
Beautiful! Bravo!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS View Post
Thank you Sister. Can you tell us what it is referring to? I could never understand how people could single out that verse and not abide by the rest of Deut. There is a lot of "do's and don't's in Deut. I don't know how a lot of people come up with the "holiness" do's and don'ts scriptures anyway. I remember years ago a very sweet Baptist lady asked me where in the Bible it speaks against certain things that we don't do (I don't want to start a new debate so I won't mention the reference she was referring to) and I honestly could not give her scripture. I don't remember how I answered her. I have my own convictions and haven't changed them for about 55 years but I have learned to not judge people by my "rules". If it is not clearly written in the Word, I just smile and go on.

I love the work you do and ALWAYS read your posts. I can sense the Love of God and have never met you. God Bless.
Everyman is right in his own heart, Judges 21:25, Proverbs 21:2.

Churchism is about a list of dos and don'ts.

All religions have their rules, Statism has its rules of dos and don'ts, nature has its rules of dos and don'ts.

But American Modernist Churchanity? It is mythology which we create out of our own thoughts and feelings. The pendulum swings far and wide? Not as a clock's, which swings smoothly back, and forth. But erratically, sometimes wildly. We are told that it is about love, we are painted a picture of a barefoot, soft spoken, gentle, honey sweet Jesus. Who just wants to love us so much that He wants to enable us. Enable us to do as we very well please.
My own convictions are my own, and I understand that to a point. But who in God's name regulates my own convictions? Some goofball idea born out of some misunderstood verse? God use to wink at man's stupidity back in the OT, but in the New Testament He demands all to REPENT.

Schools out, the Old Testament walked you all the way to the teacher. The teacher was ready to teach. It is now on our lap, sadly, we will continue to fabricate this until it's too late.

ILGs of the World are really Emma Bontragers of the World they both believe the same thing. Both believe it to the point of no return. The well don't need a physician.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I keep certain standards....however Deut, is not talking about pants....That is a misapplied scripture that is used so often.

I hope I always dress in a way that Christ is glorified....and am not knocking anyone.
Thanks Sister A, I appreciate and respect your opinion!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
So, different strokes for different folks as long as they are in the narrow way called Christianity? Those who claim others with different opinions are going to hell are legalists? Was Paul a legalist when he penned the words in 2nd Corinthians 11:4? How did Paul show people to be happy to practice their own lifestyle (however they choose)? Yet, practicing what they believe with your respect is only to the narrow way and the strait gate? Are Catholics saved? Is Emma Neckbone and the Amish and Mennonites saved?
I am Apostolic Amish, because it's convenient for me. That means I follow Acts 2:38 the hardline way. I also think you are lost and going to hell because you drive a car and don't preach headcoverings. You will make excuse because you are a compromiser. I say that with utmost love and respect.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Bontrager View Post
I am Apostolic Amish, because it's convenient for me. That means I follow Acts 2:38 the hardline way. I also think you are lost and going to hell because you drive a car and don't preach headcoverings. You will make excuse because you are a compromiser. I say that with utmost love and respect.

No, you're not and no, you don't.

You need to seek professional help for your Dissociative Identity Disorder.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Sister Alvear

Well...before I am crucified let me defend my statement at least. Many years ago I would have told you that scripture applied to women wearing pants and men wearing dresses....however one day it dawned on me in those days they did neither. ( Yes , I know breeches were worn as a type unclothes for certain men) However that has nothing to do with this statement.
I AM NOT DEFENDING WOMEN WEARING PANTS OR MEN WEARING DRESSES...PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG. I am defending that we cannot take a scripture out of context and use it....especially for a doctrine.

The Bible teaches all of us to be modest both men and women for that matter. There are enough scriptures that teach us how to live godly without using something that any educated person knows it does not mean pants or dresses....

I am REAL busy right now with company and special services and cooking for 300-400 people for tonight but have squeezed in a few minutes to write a few words here.

Notice this...( I know some of you only use the KING JAMES but we have not always had the KJ in Portuguese so I enjoy looking at other opinions and not debating which is the best to use here. However I am just going to copy of the many translations of Prov.

New International Version
Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.

New Living Translation
The woman approached him, seductively dressed and sly of heart.

English Standard Version
And behold, the woman meets him, dressed as a prostitute, wily of heart.

New American Standard Bible
And behold, a woman comes to meet him, Dressed as a harlot and cunning of heart.

King James Bible
And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
A woman came to meet him dressed like a prostitute, having a hidden agenda.

International Standard Version
Look! A woman makes her way to meet him, dressed as a prostitute and intending to entrap him.

NET Bible
Suddenly a woman came out to meet him! She was dressed like a prostitute and with secret intent.

New Heart English Bible
Behold, there a woman met him with the attire of a prostitute, and with crafty intent.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
A woman went forth to meet him in the attire of a harlot to make the young men's hearts flutter.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
A woman with an ulterior motive meets him. She is dressed as a prostitute.

JPS Tanakh 1917
And, behold, there met him a woman With the attire of a harlot, and wily of heart.

New American Standard 1977
And behold, a woman comes to meet him,
Dressed as a harlot and cunning of heart

DRESSED...like..... so the way we dress often does tell something about our inner character.

However we can hide and dress in a manner that does not display our real motive.

Genesis 38:14
So she removed her widow's garments and covered herself with a veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in the gateway of Enaim, which is on the road to Timnah; for she saw that Shelah had grown up, and she had not been given to him as a wife.

Genesis 38:15
When Judah saw her, he thought she was a harlot, for she had covered her face.

Years ago when Mary Quant (fashion designer) and others had succeeded in introducing the miniskirt into mainstream use, Miss Quant was asked the question, "What is the point of the miniskirt?" She answered very simply, "Sex."

Some have wrongfully assumed that the Lord does not give any thought to the attire of His people. This assumption is based upon 1 Samuel 16:7
where the Bible says, ". . . for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart." Man looks on the outward appearance, but God can see both the outward and the inward...

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Clothes don't make the woman, but they sure can tell a lot about her. Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Proverbs 31:25, Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. ( I love so much this scripture...strength and honour....)

The Bible does set many guidelines on many subjects....
Proverbs 23:6 Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: 7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. 8 The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words.

I know I am so different in my ways of thinking...guess living on the mission field for 49 years may have something to do with how I think and please try to understand that factor.... I go to ladies meetings and I hear these words....or something similar . "Our great-grandmother would never have worn anything but skirts." That is true....very true....However I look at the tight fitting skirts of the so called Bible teachers and I think , they would not have worn what you have on either! (Of course I say nothing) .

2Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

I am not bragging but I think we ladies ought to have enough of God's spirit in us to speak to us and let us know if our manner of dress displeases Him that called us. (and by saying that I am not say to go against whatever is preached in the church you attend) . Often writing on the internet is misunderstood especially by people who do not know us.

We often hear . Pauls words quoted, "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;"

I wonder do we understand that the harlot often wears rich and costly clothing ....and so do Pentecostal women!

Someone said to me the other day, Sister Alvear, how can you ultra cons put a divorced man up to preach or pastor and send someone to hell for using cuff links?

Dear ladies, If Solomon was looking out his window and you passed by what would he say about you?

Sorry this is so scattered....have a lot to do yet today....and special services tonight!

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 05-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Sister Alvear

By the way maybe what we could understand this scripture to mean is God wants a woman to be a woman and a man to be a man....

Old 05-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Sister Alvear

Guess who is the man ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18193137_1456033987789539_8353845682605766222_o.jpg (100.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Sister Alvear

Emma, when are you going to form your community in Brazil? Wanting to come see you even though you are a self righteous Amish, veil wearing, lady....I will look over that and try to learn how to plow my garden with your handmade tools. (Hugs to you my friend)

Old 05-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

I've always understood Deu 22:5 to be more about, in that time, women putting on men's armor and men becoming homosexual/trans temple prostitutes. I've always disagreed with the use of that verse as a ban on women wearing pants.