Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Holiness?

I saw someone with this signature hereabouts.

Quote:
Study the Bible to be wise; believe it to be safe; practice it to be holy.
Have to disagree with the last phrase. Jesus was made holiness for me. If I have Jesus, I have holiness. All I have to practice to be holy is obedience for salvation.

I have to work holiness out into my behaviour, but I already have holiness, as such, before I do ANYTHING for the Lord.

Thoughts?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Yes if one has the Holy Ghost then you have a Holy Spirit abiding within you, but you must grow in grace,and you can choose to do right or do wrong.
You can yield to the Holy Ghost or quench the Spirit.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Right. BEING holy is not predicated upon my behaviour. ACTING holy is.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM
the ultracon

Holiness which without no man shall see the Lord.

Thank God my holiness AND my rightousness is not predicated on me but on what Jesus did for me.

Because of my gratitude to him I shall endevour to live a life pleasing to the Lord.

I know that my holiness and my rightousness is as filthy rags, but thank God that Christ is all suffcient for me.

I pray that more Apostolic could understand this.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I saw someone with this signature hereabouts.

Have to disagree with the last phrase. Jesus was made holiness for me. If I have Jesus, I have holiness. All I have to practice to be holy is obedience for salvation.

I have to work holiness out into my behaviour, but I already have holiness, as such, before I do ANYTHING for the Lord.

Thoughts?
It sounds like you are confusing holiness with righteousness.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

Holiness is perfected in us.

Cor.2:6: Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are PERFECT: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 7: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory

Eph:4:11: And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;12:For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ
13:Till we all come in the unity (ONE) of the FAITH, and of the KNOWLEDGE of the Son of God, unto a PERFECT man, unto the MEASURE of the STATURE of the FULLNESS of Christ:

Heb.10:14: For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

We grow into a greater state of perfection.Heb.6:1: Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works (sin), and of faith toward God

Luke8:14: And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection

2 Cor.7:1: Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
1 John 2:5: But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1 John4:12: No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

17: Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18: There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

1 Peter5:10: But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

James2:22: Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Heb.12:22: But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 23: To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Heb.2:10: For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

1 Thes.3:10: Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?

Col.1:28: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

John17:22: And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Math.48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect
1 John 2:1: My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 3: And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.5: But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfectedfull grown) hereby know we that we are in him.

1 John3:3: And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Eph.5:26: That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word (seed,knowledge), 27: That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish
Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Accepts all friends requests

When something is consecrated to the service of God it is said to be "holy." When we choose a building as a site for worship, we often pray and consecrate the building. We set it aside for a specific purpose: service to God. We then tend to guard it from frivolous uses.

The same thing with our bodies. We have been chosen to be vessels dedicated to God's service. Ephesians 1:4 and 2 Peter 2:9. We are "something" that God has chosen to set aside for a specific purpose, thus we are holy by His choosing.

However, we are not inanimate objects like the vessels and instruments in the Tabernacle. We are living beings capable of making choices for ourselves as well. And so, we are exhorted to "make ourselves holy" as well. Romans 12:1; 1 Thessalonians 4:4; 2 Timothy 2:21.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
It sounds like you are confusing holiness with righteousness.
They are not the same, but holiness is similar in that we are made holy by the blood.

HOLINESS simply means BELONGING TO SOMEONE. In days of old this was so understood that people claimed something was HOLY TO THEM if they simply owned it.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
When something is consecrated to the service of God it is said to be "holy." When we choose a building as a site for worship, we often pray and consecrate the building. We set it aside for a specific purpose: service to God. We then tend to guard it from frivolous uses.

The same thing with our bodies. We have been chosen to be vessels dedicated to God's service. Ephesians 1:4 and 2 Peter 2:9. We are "something" that God has chosen to set aside for a specific purpose, thus we are holy by His choosing.

However, we are not inanimate objects like the vessels and instruments in the Tabernacle. We are living beings capable of making choices for ourselves as well. And so, we are exhorted to "make ourselves holy" as well. Romans 12:1; 1 Thessalonians 4:4; 2 Timothy 2:21.
Amen and amen.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post

thank you

So to be holy we have to separate ourselves from the sin of the world?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear