Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Mr. Stewart

Jury Deliberations

Why do we have them? Seriously.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Jury Deliberations

For the accused to be judged by a jury of his peers.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM

I guess I missed the "deliberations part"

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-06-2012, 05:48 PM

I think when the evidence is presented there often remain a lot of questions by the jury. The deliberations allow the jury to bounce these questions off other jurors to see what they missed.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Mr. Stewart

I guess what I'm asking. I just watched a documentary where the trial lasted several weeks. The jury received the case and after a few days came back and said they could not reach a unanimous verdict. The judge ordered them back into chambers to try again. For the first time I questioned the deliberation process.

My question is should the matter of guilt and innocence ultimately boil down to which side is more stubborn, persuasive, and able to impose its will on the other? I was just thinking that it is the duty of the attorneys to convince the jurors of its "conviction". If after an entire trial, a juror is convinced of guilt or innocence should they be thrown into a situation where someone else can convince them otherwise?

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM
My Family!

So, you think after the closing arguments the jury should write their votes down? That almost makes sense.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
So, you think after the closing arguments the jury should write their votes down? That almost makes sense.
The thought had not occurred to me until today, but that is almost what I'm wondering. Is it advantageous to lock the 12 up in a room where stronger personalities, weaker personalities, frustration, stubbornness, persuasion, vendettas, and other elements could come into play? Would it be a terrible thing to present the case and have a jury of peers give their individual convictions based on the evidence they heard?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
By the way, that's the closest to a ringing endorsement I've ever received from you, Renda. j/k

Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Having served on more than one jury I would not totally toss out deliberations.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM

I think they do need tAlk after the evidence is presented. I am sure there are things to work through, and even ask the court to clarify some of the presentations/evidence.