Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: Is TV now the norm in the UPCI home?

I had my land lady take away the TV set about a year ago and give it to a next door cuban couple.

Now i spend too much time on the internet on news sites, forums etc
Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee819 View Post
My little great grandaughter aged 5, watches a lot of the Disney Channels and anything else that she wants, and it breaks my heart to hear that precious little girl, probably one third of her speach is witchcraft.
Huh?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I am always amazed when I read about those who preach AGAINST this or that.

Though not a preacher by any means, it would just seem to me that folks would want to preach FOR right living and making wise choices and the blessedness of the Blood of the Lamb and His grace and mercy and the soon coming of our Lord and the desire we should all have to bring souls to the foot of the Cross and the sheer joy their is in knowing the Lord and knowing He loves me and the peace that passes all understanding when you have separated yourself unto Him...

Whew!

It just seems that that there is a whole lot to preach for, and my list doesn't even scratch the surface.

But ya know, this is just me...as I say, I am not a preacher.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 06-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee819 View Post
I have a TV, but haven't watched it in months. Except once in a while my son will call and tell me to turn to the whether channel, because of bad weather.

But Holiness can not be dectated. If you don;t have enough holiness in your spirt to tell you (and you listen) to what is right and what is wrong, then you have not developed the "fear of the Lord," and someone telling you what you can do or not do, will do no good.

I find that there is nothing but garbage spewed out by the 'spirit of this world,' on TV. And the saying, "Garbage in---garbage out" is so true.

My little great grandaughter aged 5, watches a lot of the Disney Channels and anything else that she wants, and it breaks my heart to hear that precious little girl, probably one third of her speach is witchcraft.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

The two people I have quoted have made statements that I agree with. As I stated earlier - I don't have a "TV" in my home. At one time, we did have TV; however, as a family, we made the choice that we didn't want it in our home - NOT because the preacher told us not to have it.

I've been raised in this thing - am still in this thing, so I'm not whistling in the dark here. For many years, as Barb stated, things were "preached against." It wasn't a "heart issue", it was a list of rules. Things you could do and things you could not do. It was never things you should not do.

In my opinion, preaching "against" stuff isn't going to get people into Heaven. Teaching and preaching that encourage people to develop a personal relationship with Jesus, encouraging them to WALK WITH HIM on a daily basis, teaching them to allow the Holy Ghost to speak to them and convict them, teaching them to live like JESUS taught while here on earth - these are the things that will get people into Heaven!

Too many people think as long as they were filled with the Holy Ghost at one time, follow the list of rules, "look" just right and "look" the part they are going to make it. All the while these same people are living from one service to the next on a Holy Ghost emotional "high" and have never learned about the depth of the experience that they have that can lead and guide them. They depend solely upon the preacher to tell them what they can and can't do.

My aged (almost 100) mom can't get out much and she has a TV. She watches certain channels with only preaching, gospel singing, etc. The only "show" she watches is Wheel of Fortune. She gets so excited when she can figure out the puzzle before the contestant. I personally believe that watching that particular show helps keep her mind sharper. She doesn't even watch the news because she says it depresses her. You won't find a more Godly lady with a more Christ-like attitude. She has been filled with the Holy Ghost for MANY years. Don't even try to tell me that she isn't going to Heaven because she has that little box sitting in her living room!

And Whole Hearted, I was shocked beyond words the first time I realized that there are UPC ministers that have TVs in their homes; but believe me they ARE out there. Many more than you would think. I am shocked to hear some of them talk about particular shows that they watch on a regular basis. Some of them, if they don't have TV with cable or satellite can't wait until particular shows come out on DVD and then they buy the entire season. Or they simply subscribe to Netflix. {I just recently found out that Netflix has all the TV shows available. I thought it was just for "renting" movies because you didn't want to go to the local Blockbuster (or some other "video rental" store).}

I appreciate the ministry that take a stand against certain things; IF they do it in a spirit of love and not with a Pharisaical attitude. But I really have a problem with the ones who pick and choose what they think is wrong.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Sweet Pea, I could not have said it better! The longer I walk with God, the more I am convinced that our relationship with God is all that matters. He is our standard and our holiness is reflected in the fruit we produce.

Last edited by Blubayou; 06-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
I just learned that a old time UPCI family have TV in their home. I was brought up in a very conservative church. We were not allowed to have monitors or DVD's until around 2004. We had a list of acceptable DVD's we could watch. Little House on the Prairie did not cut the list. I have been out of the UPCI since 2005. I am just curious of what the norm is now.
No (laughing) in case you are wondering there is no compensation or apology for the kids who got their tails whipped for watching TV by those who have compensated for not having one by installing high speed streaming internet.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
I still preach against it no matter what form it comes in.
The irony of preaching against it on the internet is really funny
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

My children aren't allowed to watch much of anything on the Cartoon Network, Disney, or Nickelodeon. They can watch Nascar, History Channel, Discovery, and other educational channels.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

What is "TV"? I don't have cable, satellite, or broadcast TV... Though I suppose it was "religious" decision at one time, it's not anymore.

Just not interested based on content and seceduling. The only way I would ever consider subscribing to anything would be an "on demand" type service similar to the Internet. I absolutely can't stand a program dictating when and how I live real life.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves